Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gerfy77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2009, 05:34 PM
    Correct wonderboard installation?
    I am building an interior hearth and surround that will ultimately be covered in cultured stone for a woodstove. I have constructed the hearth of 2X6 covered with 1/2" plywood with wonderboard over that. I have questions about securing the wonderboard to the wall for the surround:

-Is it necessary to secure 1/2" plywood to the drywall and then attach the wonderboard to the plywood? I am concerned that simply screwing the wonderboard to the studs will not provide enough support for the stone.

-Is it necessary to use a vapor barrier when installing wonderboard for an interior installation?

Thank You for your help!
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2009, 06:03 PM

I'm a firm believer in strength and 1/2 ply is what I would like for a backer for the wonder board. Also it gives you more screwing surface for the wonder board.
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Apr 20, 2009, 12:18 PM

What kind of wood stove? If it is not zero clearance, then check your local building code to ensure that your design can use any wood at all (even if tile covered).
    lfrdzvsqz Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 08:51 AM

Too much can be costly and a burden... the studs and wonderboard are sufficient enough as far as strength goes. Run a bead of carpenters glue along the studs then mount your board for extra bonding. Always check your local codes before any job is started. And especially the fire codes and ratings per installations.
    suptclark Posts: 64, Reputation: 8

May 5, 2009, 07:12 PM

My local codes require an air space behind the wonderboard

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wonderboard or Sheetrock? [ 12 Answers ]

This is not REALLY a plumbing question, but the experts here might be able to help. My tile man has installed "waterproof" sheetrock (green) on the walls that he is about to tile in a renovated bathroom. I heard that for a bathroom, one should use WonderBoard instead, because of its superior...

Correct wire connections for ceiling fan installation [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a multi-speed ceiling fan with lights. The ceiling box has a red wire for the lights. Do I connect both the black and red wire from the box to the black wire from the fan? Thanks!:D

Wonderboard installation "mistake?" [ 5 Answers ]

I seem to have made a mistake laying wonderboard my first time. I didn't stagger the joints and now I have a "hump" where four corners meet. What can I do to fix it?

Grounding rods sticking out - correct installation? [ 18 Answers ]

Hi - I just had my old 100 amp panel replaced with a 200 amp panel, and as part of the process two grounding rods were driven, and a new mast was installed. I'm hoping it was done correctly, but some of the choices made by the electrician just don't look right to me. I have not had the work...

Wonderboard and lip of shower pan [ 6 Answers ]

I am getting ready to install Wonderboard and tile walls above a plastic shower pan. Do you actually put the Wonderboard over the lip directly on to the top edge of the shower pan, or do you rest the board on top of the lip?

View more questions Search