Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2009, 04:46 PM
    How to increase an appetite?
    I have a hyper acidity and minor gastric reflux. When it hits me, i eat like a bird. Plus I work in a night shift not getting so much sleep. It's so hot and there's a lot of noise. When I arrive from work, I'd rather nap than eat.

Any suggested food or vitamins to take to increase appetite?
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

Apr 19, 2009, 05:01 PM

First, have you talked to your doctor about your condition? Once it's treated it's possible that you'll have more of an appetite. How do you feel upon awakening? And when do you normally eat before going to work? Do you snack during work?

I work these hours too, WHEN I work. I'm only a contractor right now. I rarely ate when I got right home. I would sleep first and then eat a little later. I would bring lunch/or dinner to work and surely eat during my eight hour shift.

Your whole body chemistry is different when you work these hours. Besides the problem that you have, it takes time for your system to get regulated somewhat with these hours. I happen to be a night owl for the most part anyway so I'm used to it. How long have you worked these hours? Have you tried to at least eat something once you get home from work?

In case I misunderstood, I think you're saying when you arrive from work you do mean once you are out of work and get home.
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2009, 05:17 PM

I should be working at 7pm-4am. In between these hours, I drink coffee, eat snacks and our main meal chicken, fish, pork, vege (always with a rice). When I arrive home, sometimes I eat little, sometimes I don't then I'll sleep. Food doesn't have any appeal to me at all. I feel like everything tastes bland and I have to eat because I need to. Sometimes I eat more than usual but it's the type of food that I haven't seen in a long time. If it's being served often, I won't like it anymore.

I agree that I need to see the doctor its just since one my major concern is hyper acidity, and this acid is one of the reasons I don't want to eat. I feel bloated even if I didn't eat any. Sure they will ask me to provide stool sample. Hospital is far from me and by the time I get to the hospital my sample is expired.

My concern is, most of a week, I only eat when I'm working. From 4am-7pm, my stomach is empty.

Been in a night shift for 6 months now. From 95lbs I think I weigh now 89.

(Now, I'm thinking about marijuana, I saw one episode of Desperate Housewives where Lynette (Felicity Huffman) is sick, she doesn't want to eat her mother served her a cake with MJ. It implies it improves energy and eating habits. LOL)
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

Apr 19, 2009, 05:55 PM

Ah. Or "Pot Brownies". Hmmm... I don't want to suggest that to you. It does increase your appetite but it also damages your lungs and contrary to what a lot of people think, it can be addictive.

Just for the heck of it, check out google.com and just type in "Hyper Acidity".
    See if any of these things are helpful. I'm not so sure I'd want to chew on Basil myself (one of the home remedy suggestions) but see if anything may help. As far as the marijuana, again, I can't tell you what to do and I've done it myself. I just don't want you to go down the wrong road. One can lead to another too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get my appetite back? [ 1 Answers ]

I never like the food my mom cook its no because taste bad its because I don't feel like eating it why? Don't know. Any food I do get hungry but as soon as I sit down its gone I want to know what can I do to eat its any pills that make me hungry at the moment I'm sitting in the table? Please let me...

No appetite [ 3 Answers ]

Earlier this week I posted a concern I had about my stomach bug. I seem to be getting better but I still get nauseated. I got sick on Monday and haven't been able to eat a full meal since. I eat tid bits here and there but that's it. My stomach growls all the time but when I think of any good...

Will Garic Powder increase my dogs appetite? [ 25 Answers ]

My dog has been sick for a few weeks and I had a bunch of test done on him last week, since I brough him home from the vet he hasn't;t eaten much, just maybe a few nibbles here and there. The vet suggested giving him some children's Gravol and adding some Garlic Powder into some food. She said...

Will increase in pump intake pipe size, increase flow rate? [ 1 Answers ]

At my cabin I use a 12 volt Flojet pump to pump water from the lake to the cabin. I am using 1/2 inch plastic pipe for the intake and outlet on the pump. Would I see an increase in water flow if I increase the size of the pipe going from the lake to the pump to 3/4 plastic

Loss of appetite [ 1 Answers ]

My 9 y/o Dalmatian has recently stopped eating her food. She drinks a lot of water. She has been eating cat droppings from a litter box and I recently gave her a dewormer. Could she have an upset stomach from the cat's poop and litter or is there something more wrong?

View more questions Search