Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ponderer Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2009, 03:58 PM
    Public speaking
    I am a Junior in college and a communication major and I have an issue with public speaking. When I stand in front of a class I start to blush which is so apparent. This blushing issue that I have makes me self conscience and I start to stutter, becoming a total mess. I also have a very soft and low voice, any suggestions. Please I need helppp
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2009, 04:09 PM

You could see if there's a local 'toast masters ' in your area.
    They give you the chance to practice on an audience and receive constructive feedback.

Or,a join a local drama group,being in an atmosphere of fun,without pressure will help build your confidence.

Practice in private.. in front of a mirror.it does not matter what you say,but look at your body language,mimic being confident,and say self affirming things out loud.
    Example.. I am confident. I am good at what I do.

Practice reading out loud.. this will help you hear your voice when you speak,and it will make you aware of your voice intonation.
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

Apr 19, 2009, 04:17 PM

Ponderer, I have a BS in Comm. Redhead has some good suggestions. Here are a few more... go talk to people in a retail environment. Try speaking to one, then to many about a particular item. In a study group try facilitating the study session by standing up and asking and answering questions. If the need is dire, you may even want to work as a server in a restaurant or coffee shop. Interaction is the key. Not the income.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2009, 04:29 PM

And consider voice lessons to give you a more commanding voice
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Apr 19, 2009, 04:49 PM

I was an introvert when I was young with all the symptoms that you describe.

I loved to sing and was given the chance to join a band at 15, it was just sheer determination but I wanted it so bad that I did it. First few times I was actually ill during and after the sets. But my determination pulled me through. Eventually I went into sales and owning my own business/es. If you want it, you can have it was always my mind set and I did want it... and yes even now right before I make a presentation or speak to a business group I am nervous... but now I know that, that is only natural...

Stringer
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 11:13 AM

The toastmasters suggestion is excellent.

I also suggest that you are mindful about breathing. Sometimes anxiety builds because the person gets too physically tense and does not breath normally. Just pausing for a breath can help a lot.

It is also very helpful to know your material like the back of your hand - know it, own it, be able to interpret it with confidence. When you know very well about something it's easier to talk about because you will eliminate the fear that someone will challenge you with a question you cannot answer.

As for the tone and volume of your voice, you are in control of your voice. It's not hard, just speak up. Practice speaking more clearly not only when you're doing a presentation but in a variety of situations. If a telemarketer calls, talk to them just to get practice ? Speak into the mirror, too. Read outloud to yourself.

The fear of public speaking is one of the most common ones and can be easily overcome. Toastmasters would give you great experience with it, among other people who want to overcome similar issues and as such will critique you fairly without judging you at all.

Take care and good luck with your career!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 27, 2009, 06:05 PM

Hi, Ponderer!

With practice speaking in front of others and using the other suggestions that have been provided, you know doubt will improve and also get over the blushing problem.

It does depend on how much and how you practice, though.

I had anxiety attacks for years and avoided speaking in front of people.

When I was finally offered a teaching job where I needed to teach children on a daily basis, I learned how to overcome my fears and the symptoms thereof.

If there might be a retirement or nursing home where you might be able to present a subject to the residents as a volunteer, that might also end up benefiting you.

Thanks!
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2009, 01:57 PM

Another thought... my son sometimes struggles with getting started on new things, or giving new things a chance. For example, he wasn't sure he wanted to go to a semi-formal 8th grade graduation dance because he wasn't sure what it would be like, if he'd be expected to actually dance, if he'd make a fool of himself and so on. What I do to support him is tell him, you're playing the "what if" game but you can't just ask the questions without answering them - finish the game.

We go through each of his issues that create anxiety and answer "what if". So, what if they play a slow song? He doesn't have to ask a girl to dance if he doesn't want to. He can use that as a chance to use the men's room, or check out the food table, or get some pop, or seek out his buddies who also don't want to dance. What if someone asks him to dance? He can say "yes" if he wants to, or can say, "no thank you" if he doesn't want to. If it's a girl he wants to encourage but he doesn't want to dance, he can say, "Thanks but I'm kind of hungry - would you mind if we get something to eat instead?"

For speaking list all your concerns that result in your anxieties...

What if people can't hear me? Start your speech by simply saying hello and asking, "can you all hear me well enough?" If they say "no", speak up and ask them again. You'll find the right volume for the room.

What if I forget my place? Maybe you will. Just tell people, "bear with me - I lost my place....here we go..." and move on. Nobody will care. Better to just be honest about it - it just makes you appear more natural and approachable.

What if someone asks a question I can't answer? Let them know, "That's a great question - and one I didn't anticipate. If you can write that down for me with your email address, I'll look into it and get back to you later".

You get the idea... just play through all your concerns and have a plan for addressing them if they do happen. You always have the option to say "I don't know" or to take a pause. And you can also have other people there to tag-team with - you don't have to be the only expert - if a question arises and a colleague is better versed, you will look like a team player to say, "I think I'll ask Ed to answer that for you because he is really the go-to guy on that issue...Ed?"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Public Speaking [ 7 Answers ]

I've got to give a 10min talk to a class of 40 young boys and girls What all should I keep in my mind as in body language, facial expressions and eye contact

Public Speaking [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I want to know what types of public speaking situations you, as teachers, find yourselves in often. Thank you, Ben

Speaking in public [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all, I have to do a reading at my sisters wedding next week and had the practice run tonight. This is a real challenge for me and I want to do well for my sister. I am generally nervous in such situations and during the practice run was very tense and found breathing and being natural...

Public speaking [ 9 Answers ]

I have no idea where to post this question. I was just reading candy28's post about her being shy and it got me thinking about an upcoming problem I am going to have. (I know, isn't it cool when you can see the problem before you have it. LOL) Anyway, my dad is getting married at the end of...

Public Speaking [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, every year in junior high we have to write a speech and deliver it to class and there is a competition. I won first place in grades 5, 6 and 7, and 2nd in grade 8, but this year I'm stuck. I have no idea what to write about, and I don't really want to write about something serious. I was...

View more questions Search