Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IheartEdward Posts: 203, Reputation: 4

Apr 19, 2009, 03:15 PM
    Why do I want to cut myself?
    I've had an urge to cut myself latly..

It's nothing to do with depression, I don't think, I have ben depressed but I'm not too bad anymore.

I'm not addicted cause I've never done it before now.

I've always been against it.

I don't think I'm doing it for attention because there's no one I want anymore attention from.

It's just like a sudden urge..

Help!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2009, 03:35 PM

It is hard to say why, but the issue is getting help to get over it.

I would say getting professional help at this point before it gets a lot more seroius
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Apr 19, 2009, 03:37 PM

There is more to your situation than you gave.

First who's attention did you want before?

Second Why were you depressed before?

Third what did you do when you were depressed, any kind of self destructive behaviour? (That includes starting arguments with people for no real reason.)

Fourth when did the urge start, and what was happening in your life around that time?

Fifth what do you mean by "I'm not too bad anymore."?

I've a lot of undterstading about this kind of thing, I'm bipolar, and I was misdiagnosed with depression for 10 years and it was very hard on me. I never seemed happy, and I constantly thought of suicide. Then I found cutting. Hard to resist.
    I've also read a lot about these things, and nuerological, cognitive psychological, behaviourological (had to make that one up sorry. Just the ological bit though.), emotionally, and mentally (your thoughts), and family friends wise.

Please go to a counseler, or some one who can help you more than I, but if you gove me more info I will do what I can to give you what answers you are seeking.

Peace and kindness be with you.

Apr 19, 2009, 04:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestorian View Post
    First who's attention did you want before?

second Why were you depressed before?

Third what did you do when you were depressed, any kind of self destructive behaviour? (That includes starting arguments with people for no real reason.)

Fourth when did the urge start, and what was happening in your life around that time?

fifth what do you mean by "I'm not too bad anymore."?
    1. No one really, I've never been the person to want to stand out or be noticed.

2. I'm 15 now, when I was 13/14 I went through a phase here I detested my life and everything about it.

3. I never harmed myself or others before though I did try to hang myself but I got myself out of it.. that's when I strted to turn my life around.

4. A few weeks ago, nothing that stood out happen around then. Th other thing I can think of is school work is really getting ontop of me and I'm not really achieving that well.

5. As in I don't hate life anymore, I try to enjoy myself and I can even look in the mirror and think I'm pretty sometimes which is amazing for me because I couldn't even look in the mirror before.

It's just a random urge, I don't want to tell anyone, I want to do it.. that's why I'm freaking myself out, its not like me.
    Thanks

Apr 19, 2009, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by IheartEdward View Post
    1. No one really, I've never been the person to want to stand out or be noticed.

2. I'm 15 now, when I was 13/14 I went through a phase here i detested my life and everything about it.

3. I never harmed myself or others before though I did try to hang myself but I got myself out of it.. that's when i strted to turn my life around.

4. A few weeks ago, nothing that stood out happen around then. Th other thing i can think of is school work is really getting ontop of me and I'm not really achieving that well.

5. As in I dont hate life anymore, I try to enjoy myself and I can even look in the mirror and think I'm pretty sometimes which is amazing for me because i couldnt even look in the mirror before.

It's just a random urge, i dont want to tell anyone, i want to do it.. that's why im freaking myself out, its not like me.
    Thanks
    "No one really"-You This sounds like you are thinking of some one but who? Perhaps yourself? Maybe you need to be kinder to yourself and do some fun things, I'm not sure what you enjoy, but maybe you may consider joining a club or something? I never like to stand out or be noticed in high school, and I don't talk to any of my friends hardly ever, because they all seem to want to drink every chance they get. I'm just not like that. I still try to force myself out every now and again though. It's not healthy to be by ourselves all them time. Eh?

What did you detest and hate about your life? (if you don't want to tell us it's cool. This is all very personal info, so feel free to tell me you won't answer a question.)

What was happening when you tried to hang yourself, and why did you get out?

Stress, it seems like you are looking for a stress release. Your body can only handle so much stress before we start to break. Do you exercise? Good way to release endorphines. What do you do in a day, week, if you don't mind my asking?

That's good, it's hard for most to look at the mirror and say I look god today. It is for me, but I like to stare into my eyes, they are... I don't know what, but I feel almost a connection to something bigger than myself, when I look in them. Can you tell me anything you like about yourself? As in your hair, or eyes, lips, smile and so on...

Personality traits are important too, so feel free to tell us about that too eh?

In regards to your "feelings" of wanting to do it, that is a trick of the mind, focus yourself and think on other things. Do not tell yourself you won't do it, or you don't want to do it, but rather say I'm going to do something else instead. It's healthier,and I'll feel better.

May peace and kindness be with you.
    Fuzzball_Kara Posts: 279, Reputation: 74

Apr 19, 2009, 05:42 PM

The act of cutting yourself releases endorphins in your brain and leaves you feeling "happier." Weird, huh?

Apr 19, 2009, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzball_Kara View Post
    The act of cutting yourself releases endorphins in your brain and leaves you feeling "happier." Weird, huh?
    This is true, but happier for how long? I found that I had cut more, and deeper, and longer to get the same feeling of "happy".

The brain releases endorphins because they "can" act as a natural pain killer. As you cut you receive this does of endorphins to dull the pain, and after a bit you feel back to the same stress you had before, maybe even more so as you know that cutting is Taboo. Then you may think, "I need to releave my stress!" or "...get my fix." So you cut, but you don't get that same feeling as you once did, so you cut harder, deeper, longer, and more. Till you're apatite is saticfied.

Or so it may seem.

Apr 19, 2009, 06:13 PM

Don't get me wrong. I don't think it's a good thing. I think a better way to release those good feely things is to exercise. You'll be getting a good natural and harmless (dont overdo it) rush that you need and get a lot of energy to do more fun things. I've noted when I had depression in my earlier teen years, it was because I lacked energy physically and mentally and I just felt like poop that needed a quick fix.. I sure wish I had excercised instead.

Apr 19, 2009, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzball_Kara View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I don't think it's a good thing. I think a better way to release those good feely things is to excercise. You'll be getting a good natural and harmless (dont overdo it) rush that you need and get a lot of energy to do more fun things. I've noted when I had depression in my earlier teen years, it was because I lacked energy physically and mentally and I just felt like poop that needed a quick fix.. I sure wish I had excercised instead.
    HAHHAHHAHHAHA, you are hilarious:p. "poop" haha. I know what you mean but wow, I never ever heard of any one say it like that. I"m sorry that just made my day. LOL.

I didn't think you ment it as in "cutting being a good thing." I just wanted to give a little more info on it. Thats all. I liked your answer, very perceptive and factual. I guess i shouldn't have put "but" in the beginning eh? :rolleyes: silly me, my bad.

Yes exercis seems a like a better way. We can become addicted to that to though, as you said, "don't overdo it". Moderation, perhaps? :)

Apr 19, 2009, 06:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestorian View Post
    HAHHAHHAHHAHA, you are hilarious:p. "poop" haha. I know what you mean but wow, i never ever heard of any one say it like that. I"m sorry that just made my day. LOL.

I didn't think you ment it as in "cutting being a good thing." I just wanted to give a little more info on it. Thats all. I liked your answer, very perceptive and factual. I guess i shouldn't have put "but" in the beginning eh? :rolleyes: silly me, my bad.

Yes exercis seems a like a better way. We can become addicted to that to though, as you said, "dont overdo it". Moderation, perhaps? :)

Glad I could made you laugh. XDD You're a silly person.

Apr 20, 2009, 03:33 AM

Lol.. "poop."

Erm, what do you want to know really?

I'm 15, I go to school, though I really dislike it, like A LOT. I'm not exactly 'liked' by teachers and I can be easily picked on.
    Erm, I have quite a lot of friend but few best mates who are amazing so I can't complain about that. My parents are divorsed, it does upset me but not that much because its not like I ever saw them together as I was 2 I think. All my friends have normal families which I guess is annoying.
    I do go out to town with friends and I go to a youth club. And then I've got another friend I drink with (I don't drink a lot).
    I used to wish I was someone else but as I grew up I got over it and realise that isn't going to happen. I'm naturally blonde and when I dyed my hair black it help me because I felt more like 'myself' and that's part of the starting to be happy with myself thing. Erm, I'm lazy and very laid back and I wish I wasn't but it's okay. I'm great at judging peoples personalies so I'm sensible with who I hang out with and stuff. I'm possibly the most maternal 15 year old you will ever meet, I look after people like children, I can't help it. I really want I kid but obviously I wouldn't have one now.

And the exercise.. twice a week on school weeks and I do a lot of walking when I'm out with friends. I do push up in my room to tone my tummy too.

The word that stood out to me in those posts was 'fix'. That's what it feels like. I want to do it again..

Thanks for the advice.
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 08:03 PM

All I have to add, is it looks like you realized what you were doing was unhealthy, and you started to help yourself.
    Even if what the people here have said hasn't helped you much (which I'm sure it has) the fact that you are looking for help is good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search