Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammie232 Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Apr 19, 2009, 09:44 AM
    Neighbor will probably become homeless
    I befriended a man in the neighborhood because he feeds the neeighborhood cats and I
    Have a feral community.
    His mother left him a two family house and he has been living off the loans against it.
    He recently got a loan without having a job or an income. He's 52 years old and mentally
    He is slow. He has 14 cats in his house and rented an apt which only covers half his
    Morguage. He can't pay his morguage after the next month. It's a mess. I tried so
    Hard to get his permission to have all his cats fixed and vaccinated for free and he said
    no. Now, I truly believe, he is going to get kicked out of his home. Is there any hope
    He won't. I cannot afford to give him money... and a loan would be the same as a loss.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2009, 09:51 AM

Unfortunately when you give somebody money to get them through one month then very often they are right back into the same mess they were in the next month so all you did was delay the inevitable. If he is slow has he tried applying for disability? Does he have any family? Does he have rooms that he could rent out for income?
    I know there are some agencies that will help but you have to have income because they usually won't help somebody that will be in the same situation next month. He maybe needs to have an agency where someone will come and check on him and help him budget money.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2009, 02:16 PM

Hi Jammie, this is very difficult,

I think the first thing is to sort out the cats.
    If they have not been looked at for some time, you can bet that the house is infested with fleas not to mention various other infections that cats carry.

There are 14 you say now, which can easily double or worse if not stopped.

This man to me sounds like a hoarder, he obviously loves his cats, so you are going to have to be a bit more direct, for his benefit and the cats.

I'm assuming your in the states, in which case you have to go to the Humane society and report your worries, or you can do it anonymously by telephone if you prefer.

Explain the situation... you want the cats checked out, but they are to be returned to your friend etc...

The society probably will remove the cats temporarily to check out their health, ideally your friend might sign them over to be fostered out.

Whilst they are gone services need to come in and completely clean the house, doing what ever is necessary to maintain health and hygiene.

Once the house is clean and habitable then your friend could advertise for lodgers... they will pay a monthly rent which would then pay the monthly mortgage, until such times as he could sort himself out.

The priority right now is income to cover the mortgage and the only way that can be achieved is if...

1) he does as I've just suggest with lots of initial support

2) he cleans up the house and puts it up for sale, which will pay off the loans, but then of course he will have to fined other rooms or accommodation to live in.
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2009, 05:03 PM

As orphan said you need to convince him that he can not go on like this. I hear so many stories about people who can't even care for themselves and have 14 or more cats, horses or cows that aren't being properly cared for and then by the time the humane society gets involved the animals are taken off them and adopted out. The board of health is usually involved too.
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2009, 05:06 PM

I wasn't saying you gave him a loan I was agreeing with you that that really isn't an answer unfortunately.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2009, 05:14 PM

He would perhaps rent out another room, get a job or even sell the home to save any equity.

But he never should have gotten a loan but if he does not pay he will be on the street, the cats in a shelter.

Plus he has no business having any cats, if he cannot afford to pay his bills, bills for cats is unneeded
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 10, 2009, 07:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jammie232 View Post
    Neighbor will probably become homeless.
    Hello j:

Yes, he probably will. What kind of "helpful" advice do you want?? You can't fix the word.

excon
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 10, 2009, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    You can't fix the word.
    Or even the world. :p
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

May 14, 2009, 05:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rphan View Post
    Hi Jammie, this is very difficult,

I think the first thing is to sort out the cats.
    If they have not been looked at for some time, you can bet that the house is infested with fleas not to mention various other infections that cats carry.

There are 14 you say now, which can easily double or worse if not stopped.

This man to me sounds like a hoarder, he obviously loves his cats, so you are going to have to be a bit more direct, for his benefit and the cats.

I'm assuming your in the states, in which case you have to go to the Humane society and report your worries, or you can do it anonymously by telephone if you prefer.

Explain the situation...you want the cats checked out, but they are to be returned to your friend etc...

The society probably will remove the cats temporarily to check out their health, ideally your friend might sign them over to be fostered out.

Whilst they are gone services need to come in and completely clean the house, doing what ever is necessary to maintain health and hygiene.

Once the house is clean and habitable then your friend could advertise for lodgers...they will pay a monthly rent which would then pay the monthly morgage, until such times as he could sort himself out.

The priority right now is income to cover the morgage and the only way that can be achieved is if...

1) he does as i've just suggest with lots of initial support

2) he cleans up the house and puts it up for sale, which will pay off the loans, but then of course he will have to fined other rooms or accommodation to live in.
    I don't think he should get the cats back. He can not take care of himself and he has shown himself to be incapable of taking care of these poor cats.

And why should "services come in". Is he not capable of cleaning up his own mess? I know you said he was slow but if he is sharp enough to own a home, and live on his own, surely he can clean his home.

I know this may sound heartless but you don't put cats back into a situation like the one this man created.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jesus was homeless [ 8 Answers ]

I found this on the net, not mine, but I lost the guys name that wrote it. The thing is, has anyone ever had a similar experience they would care to write about? This is not up for another argument so please, those of you that love to be disagreeable please refrain from posting! No story, no post...

About to be homeless [ 2 Answers ]

I need someone to tell me the Florida law on home forclosures, my home went to actution on the 9th how long do I have until we get thrown out?

Homeless tax situation [ 15 Answers ]

Hello and thank you. I know a homeless guy who has not filed taxes since 1970. He needs medical assistance but is afraid he will be arrested and will not go to the doctor. How can I get him back into the system? He has not made over $3,000 a year since 1970. He makes his income from washing...

How long before we're homeless? [ 8 Answers ]

I live in Virginia, and my house was foreclosed on and auctioned off today. I need to know how much time I have under the law before eviction takes place, and what options I might have to find housing for a family of seven within that time frame. Ouch.

Homeless [ 1 Answers ]

I am practically homeless because of my rental history. I wanted to know if I paid off the broken leases (even though the monies will be paid to a collection agency) would this help me gain housing? I have 3 broken leases. One broken lease is from 2001 for $1400.00. 2nd broken lease is from...

View more questions Search