Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adinas_mommy08 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2009, 10:21 PM
    Weight loss tips?

I am currently trying to lose weight. However, there are a million diets out there, and I am unsure as to which ones are most effective and which ones are pointless. I would like to see results, but at the same time I don't expect for it to all disappear in a day haha. I know that this will take time and it is something that I am willing to work on. I am just hoping to get advice along the way that will help my weight loss be a success and not a failure. I had a child and gained a lot of weight while pregnant with her. Since then I have been unable to lose the weight. Prior to now I have just been so tied up with raising her, going to school, and dealing with life in general that healthy dieting was just not an option. However, now that she is older I am ready to focus on losing this weight. So I just thought I would give this website a try and see if anyone has any helpful tips for me... Thanks!
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2009, 10:27 PM

Diets. They're boring, hard and sometimes unrealistic. The web has millions and trillions of them and I don't doubt that your confused or lost when it comes to searching.

One this I have learned is, diets don't work.

Incorporate more veggies and fresh fruits in your diet, cut your salt intake in half and maybe eat that sweet once a week instead of everyday. Drink more water, and can that soda.

The best way to burn fat is by doing lots and lots of cardio ; say 100 jumping jacks, jogging around your block a few times, jumping on your tready, anything to make your heart go bump-bump-bump.

Here's a site with some things like ; ab exercises, pilates, and yoga
    www.videojug.com

Diets are crazy.. I mean they make you crazy. Most of the time you end up gaining more than you lose!

Here are 7 Simple Steps to Lose Extra Weight and Tone Up:

1. Write it all down on a journal.

It is always a good idea to write down accurately what you eat and drink everyday including your occasion snacks (e.g. a chocolate cookie). Also, you must jot down what kind of exercise you do every day. From there, you can learn about your own eating and exercise behaviour. You will be able to zoom in your weak points which you can make improvements on.

2. Learn to read the food labels.

This is a very important habit you must adopt. Do not be deceived by words such as "Low Fat" or "Less Sugar". The products may have reduced its fat or sugar content from the original products, but you must still do a proper comparison with other similar products to find the right kind of food for yourself. Remember to study every label before you purchase anything that will end up going into your body.

3. Drink more water & cut down on other beverages.

It is very important that we drink 8 to 10 eight-ounce glasses of water a day. You will need drink even more when you are doing your exercise. In case you didn't know, this can help your metabolism also. Try to cut down on your fruit juices. Instead, it's better to eat the whole fruit because it will give you the fiber and vitamins your body needs and less calories as compared to a glass of fruit juice. If possible, try to limit your alcohol intake, especially high caloric alcoholic beverages.

4. Eat all your meals.

Do not skip any meals. Many women tend to skip their meals, especially their breakfast. Do not do this. You must eat breakfast everyday. Because so many hours have passed since last night's dinner, your breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Choose a breakfast with complex carbs and fruits to kick start your day. You can have a small snack before your lunch and your dinner. As for your dinner, it is a good idea to reduce the portion size and have more vegetables for easy digestion. Remember, do not starve yourself as this will backfire on you, and make it more difficult to lose the weight in the future.

5. Exercise.

A good old advice. Exercise is one of the keys to lose weight regardless what kind of diet you are on. A 30-minute routine of aerobic exercises such as brisk walking, jogging or swimming every day can help to burn more fat in your body. Even doing housework can be treated as a form of exercise. Remember, you must keep your body moving if you want to burn those fats.

6. Increase your metabolism

The key to increase your metabolism is really to build muscles. Muscles are like a furnace that increases your metabolism, allowing you to burn more calories even when you are at rest. Thus, muscles are very important and essential for your fat loss. You can do weight resistance training 2 to 3 times every week. Furthermore, you will also look better with a toned-up body when you are in your swimming suit or bikini... just like the Hollywood stars.

7. Sleep.

Many people tend to ignore the importance of sleep. In fact, if you have sufficient 8 hours of good sleep, you will not only feel refreshed and recharged, but you will find yourself losing some weight. Recent scientific research has shown that people with insufficient sleep tend to have difficulty to lose weight and tend to get other health problems too.

It may seem quite easy but without a proper plan and successful strategies, you won't succeed in achieving your weight loss goals. You really need to have patience as results do not happen overnight. The most important thing is that you must not GIVE UP even when you hit a temporary setback.

7 Tips are from: 7 Simple Steps To Lose Extra Weight And Tone Up For Your Summer

Good luck on your journey to fitness,

Sarah
    adinas_mommy08 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2009, 07:52 PM
    Yeah I have heard that it is sometimes hard for people to lose "baby weight" after having their children. I have been taking a few steps that I feel are helpful as well as a healthy option. I do not drink pop or other fattening beverages. I drink tons of water and for the most part always have. I do not eat junk food, fast food, or sweets. On the occasion that I do go out to eat I try to pick healthy options off the menu. I eat proportioned sized meals and count calories. My daughter and I both eat for the most part fruits, and vegetables, and things like that. I drink a slim fast in the morning, with a weight loss pill. I eat a light healthy lunch, and then for dinner I eat a regular meal but it is proportioned right. I know the one area where I am lacking is the exercise. I am on my feet running after my child all day. We take walks, go to the park, play outside, and go shopping, and things like that. However, up until now I have not have the access to specific exercise equipment to give me a better workout. I do plan on attending a women's gym, maybe getting exercise videos, and things like that. Because I would like to do exercises that target specific areas where I want/need to lose weight. Like my stomach for example and my thighs.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2009, 07:58 PM

Cardio burns fat. Even a simple jumping jack burns a lot of fat if you do a lot of them- include your daughter in the game. I do this with mine although she stops at 4 I keep going for at least 200, she loves watching me go. Looks funny- but it works.

One thing I can tell you is: eat an actual breakfast. Really- it's the most important meal of the day. It gives you energy and speeds up your metabolism. Make lunch a booster with lots of veggies and lots of fruits. As for dinner, make it light!

Have you been to videojug.com ? Pilates is awesome it targets everything! You can also go to Walmart and look for a basic work out video that has a lot of cardio and movement in it,

Congratulations on making the decision to be a healthier you!

Sarah

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Desperate for tips on maintaining a weight loss routine [ 2 Answers ]

I thought I would repost this as the title including 11 stone seemed somehow misleading to me but anyway... I am female, 16 years old and weigh 22 stone. It is a ridiculous amount of weight to gain and I know that to lose 11 stone will take years but I am willing to try. I would like to know...

Need weight loss tips and support [ 4 Answers ]

I am 22 years old. 5'0 and 140 lbs. I would like to be 125 by the end of June so that gives me... 8 weeks. Is it possible to lose 15 lbs in 8 weeks? Is this a realistic goal? I currently have a personal trainer that I will be meeting with once a week and I plan to go to the gym an hour a day for 5...

Healthy but Effective weight Loss Tips? [ 8 Answers ]

Im Looking for Tips in losing weight and getting Toned With A Period of 5-9 Months I've Tried different Things But loose interest Im 16 and No this isn't a peer Pressure issue Or Trying too Look good For Anyone but Myself :) But I'm Not too active and want too be more healthy Does anyone Know...

Weight loss tips during the Holidays? [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys, and happy Holidays! Well, Since it is the holiday season, I dotn want to pork up,so portion cotnrol! But! I would like to lose 10 pounds. Now I am at a good body weight, I am average but I would just feel better knowing I got rid of an extra 10 pounds :)> Does anyone have some...

What are good quick weight loss tips [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone... OK, here's the thing. One of my best friends and I are throwing our birthday parties together on Apr.14th. I'm not fat nor am I skinny. I'm what I like to call thick but I have these "luv handles" that I want to get rid of asap. Can somebody, anybody please tell me a good healthy...

View more questions Search