Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Doubius Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2009, 03:08 PM
    Water well pressure bleed off in 10 minutes
    Hi, I am trying to pin point a problem with my water well. I have a down hole pump with a pressure tank and pressure valve in the house. My problem is that I am having a drop in pressure with no water usage. My pressure switch is set to kick the pump in when it drops to 22 psi. It kicks out at 45 psi. It takes 10 minutes for the pressure to drop down to 22 psi with no water usage. I have checked and there are no water leaks before or after the pressure tank. The pressure tank has 22 psi in the bladder. Somehow the pressure bleeds off like clock work in 10 minutes. Is there a foot valve or something at the pump that should hold the pressure from bleeding off? Any ideas what I should check.

Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 18, 2009, 03:23 PM
    There are several things that would cause you to bleed off pressure.
    1) a small hole in the suction line **or**
    2) a check or foot valve that has a piece of trash caught in the flap allowing water to seep past. Good luck, Tom
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2009, 07:34 PM

Not sure what a "down hole" pump is, but I am assuming that you mean a submersible pump which is"down in the hole". If that's the case, then you have the symptoms of a check valve problem. (You would not have a foot valve.) The valve MIGHT be above ground, between the well head and the tank. If so, replacing it is not a tough job. If it's not above ground, it is possible to install one above ground. How deep is this well?

If your pump is above ground, then simply ignore what I just wrote. My family does that all the time anyway!
    Doubius Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2009, 01:25 PM

Thank you both for your advise. I will take and look and see if there is a check valve installed. I see where some submersible pumps you can buy have what they call a build -in check valve, but doubt that the pump
    I have, which is at least 15 to 20 years old, has one.
    If the check valve is above ground, would it normally be installed between the tank and the pressure switch, or between the pressure switch and the submersible pump. (Sorry, "down hole pump" is just one of my Okie terms I picked up from the oil patch business, couldn't think of it's correct term at the time I posted. "The older I get the more I forget")
    I will also pull the cap off the well casing and listen to see if I can hear anything that sounds like a leak in the line. I am not sure just how deep my pump is set at and hope I don't have to pull the pump to solve my problem, but I will if don't find a check valve above ground.

Thanks again.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2009, 03:39 PM

This site has a picture of a checkvalve. You will definitely have at least one, but it might be in the well. If you can't spot a leak, and before pulling the pump, I'd just install one above ground. Doesn't take long. If it works, then great. If not, then you're no worse off than before. Pulling the pump can be a load.

Flotec 1-1/2" Check Valve, for Sprinkler and Jet/Submersible-Well Pumps - Brass - Westside Wholesale Store View
    rjay Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2009, 05:35 PM
    I'm not a plumber or a well man, but I did have the same problem. When I bought the house, the well and the system was already established. I knew I had an an aerator in the system, which I was told was for the sulfur. This aerator was in the well about 10 feet below surface. I don't know that much about this system or exactly how its suppose to work, so I had a well guy check it out. I was pretty amazed at this set up. It was obvious why the pressure continually dropped. What was happening, was when the pump kicked on, it filled the pressure tank. Once it reached its max pressure, the pump kicked off, which makes since. However, at least in my set-up, the aerator immediately started draining the line from that point to the pressure tank. When the pressure dropped to the preset mark, the pump kicked back on, and the process repeated, round the clock. This usually took about 10 minutes or so, just like yours Now, like I said, I don't know if this is how its suppose to work, but for me, this process was an irritant. Every time it kicked on and off it it resinated a water hammer thump through my hardwood floor. It really pretty annoying when the house is quite and you'er trying to sleep. I put up with this for about 6 months, sulfur or not, I removed the aerator, and the problem is gone. Now the pressure holds. As for your situation, the aerator may be a necessity, but for mine, I have not noticed any difference in the taste or smell of the water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New water heater, hot water in shower only lasts 3 minutes [ 40 Answers ]

I have been in this apartment 6 months and have never been able to have a warm shower longer than 3 minutes. I told my landlord and he replaced the water heater. But that didn't solve the problem. So he had a plumber come over and the plumber said maybe the water heater was defective. But then he...

How to bleed a water heat system [ 2 Answers ]

How to bleed a water heater system

Do I need to bleed my hot water system? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I had to replace a leaking shower hot water handle. I closed the valves and drained the water from the bathroom sink and shower. Got the shower handle replaced with no problem, but now my heating system sounds funny; almost like it is draining. Also, the hot water is constantly running...

Bleed brakes--max torque to close bleed valve screw? [ 1 Answers ]

Working on a '99 Miata. Changed the right rear caliper, but cannot find information on the maximum torque to close the bleed valve screw. My repair manual does not have this information nor the Kragen store nor the website of the manufacturer--Cardone. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

View more questions Search