Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loulou94 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2009, 12:08 PM
    Bleached hair too much,how do I go back to my natural colour?
    Hi,I am desperate for some advice please,but first I will tell you my colouring story!!
    Ok my hair is naturally dark brown(with a little grey)I started having bleach blonde highlights around 5 years ago.My hair has gone from being very short to shoulder length and now shorter again.Well last Tuesday(4 days ago) my hairdresser arrived and I said I wanted my hair blonder I meant the colour, because the blond was brassy it was never white blonde enough,anyway after the colour, a very big trim and finish I looked in the mirror and OMG I was crying!!
    I am nearly a full head blonde, she thought I meant more blonde not blonder!! My highlights are many colours, we have orangey coloured roots we have white bits and we have a lot of yellow all over.
    Please help someone I really want to go back brown I am now sick of being blonde,but I can't afford salon prices will I be able to do this myself!! I really hope so :)
    P.s My hair is very thick.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2009, 12:35 PM

What you want to do is a "tintback". It's not trivial.

Basically, you get a haircoloring (single-process, most often a demi-permanent, to minimize damage) and dye it back. The big problem, however, is that if you do this without careful planning, your hair will turn out greenish! To avoid that, you need to add some red back into the hair first. (red is removed from your natural undertones when you bleach). That is often done using a red -dye. The process is called "filling the hair". Some people use reddish protein "fillers" to do this (that usually doesn't work as well as the dye).

Note that the color and the amount of red are very subjective. If you put in too much red, you'll be a redhead. If you pick a haircoloring that's the exact color that you want it to be, it'll almost certainly turn out too dark (bleached hair absorbs a lot of color). Furthermore, you will have problems with fading.

Quite honestly, I think you'll do better to try to get a dark blonde color.

For more information, I suggest you look and post here. There are a lot of coloring experts that have posted there.

Bottle Blondes Board
    Or
    The Going Blonde Message Board

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I make my hair go back to natural or lighter hair colour? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm from australia and a couple of days ago I dyed my hair to a permanent intense dark brown but it went to dark I would really like it to go lighter or back to my natural hair colour which is a light brown with a bit of blonde. I have been striping for the past few days is there anything I could...

Natural hair colour [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I am curious to know how do you determine what your natural hair colour is apart from the obvious i.e look at it, is it through the hair roots? The reason I am asking is because I am baffled what my actual natural hair colour is because my hair grows out about 4 or 5 cms lightish black from...

How can I change my hair back to my natural colour? [ 1 Answers ]

I am naturally blonde but have been dying my hair medium brown for nearly 2 years. I haven't dyed my hair again recently and I have decided I want to go back to my natural blonde colour. I have heard about lightening hair dyes but I'm not sure what colour this will turn my hair. Can you suggest...

I want my natural hair colour back! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I've been bleaching my hair to almost white for a year now and I want my natural colour back, I have left it for 4 months and have about two inches of my natural ( golden blonde/light brown) hair, I can't afford to go to a hairdressers and I can't wait for it to grow out, what would be the best...

View more questions Search