Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lundeenl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2009, 11:44 PM
    Lease Effective Date
    Hello,

I signed a lease for an apartment that I planned on occupying 5/1/2009 in Washington state. I have since changed my mind for various reasons and want to know if I can legally get out of it without paying the 3 month penalty.

The date of the lease contract is listed 5/1/2009 and all of the dates next to my signature blocks is 5/1/2009. The Early Moveout clause is as follows:

You will beliable to us for a reletting charge of $XXXX.XX if you:
    1) fail to give written move-out notice as required or
    2) move out without paying rent in full for the entire lease term or renewal period

Am I in a situation where I cannot back out of this lease without the penalty?

Thanks for the help!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2009, 07:56 AM

Hello lun:

You cannot get out of the lease... Since you never moved in, you MIGHT be able to negotiate a lower termination fee. I don't know.

BUT, the landlord is required to rent the apartment as soon as they can to mitigate your damages.. If you think they can rent it right away, then I wouldn't offer anything. Tell them you'll discuss the three month penalty AFTER the apartment is re-rented.

If I haven't made myself clear, no matter what the lease says, if they rent your apartment in ONE month, they can only asses a ONE month penalty.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Property Manager made a Mistake in the date of lease termination [ 2 Answers ]

I am in desperate need of a fast reply! My husband and I signed our original lease May, 2007. On March 15, 2008 we resigned another year lease. At the time I assumed the original lease for carry through and the new yearly lease would start again in May and run through May 2009. January 2008...

Earliest date of entry to US for H4 dependent, H1 effective Oct 1st [ 6 Answers ]

Hi There I got my H1 approval in May 2008 effective Oct 1st 2008. I am under F1(untill 2011) visa (Currently under OPT from Oct 1st 2007 till Sept 30 2008). I am planning to travel to my country India in Aug/Sept for my H1 stamping along with H4 application for my family. I would come back with...

Lease effective date [ 2 Answers ]

I signed a new lease two months ago in November. The lease start date is fe 1, 2008. My husband has received a new job out of state. Since the new lease does not start until feb 1,2008 will I be able to got out of it?

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

F-1 to H-1, what's the start date of H-1? Should be approval date or visa issue day? [ 3 Answers ]

As I mention before, I changed from F-1 to H-1 last year. I got my H-1 status in Feb 2004, but I went to my home country to get the H-1 visa stamp in August 2004. So I would like to know for counting my H-1 status, is it the date that USCIS (the Immigration) approved (which is Feb 1st), or the...

View more questions Search