Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    turtlegirl16 Posts: 177, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2009, 07:52 PM
    My Mom's gay opinion
    Today was Day of Silence.

I participated because most of my friends are either gay or bi. My mom today after school asked me about my opinion to it all. She said that if you are gay, you are born with it, its like a genetic thing, not a choice. I dissagree with her, I believe being gay is a choice, just like being bi is a choice.

Am I right or is my mom right?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 17, 2009, 07:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlegirl16 View Post
    Today was Day of Silence.

I participated because most of my friends are either gay or bi. My mom today after school asked me about my opinion to it all. She said that if you are gay, you are born with it, its like a genetic thing, not a choice. I dissagree with her, I beleive being gay is a choice, just like being bi is a choice.

Am I right or is my mom right?
    No one is right or wrong. We don't have a scientific answer to that question yet. Right now it is based solely on belief.
    turtlegirl16 Posts: 177, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2009, 08:03 PM

My mom said that I could even ask her gay friend, that he would let me know that it is genetic, but I still don't believe her...
    Bonnie46 Posts: 113, Reputation: 16

Apr 17, 2009, 08:16 PM

Hi Turtlegirl16

Actually, there is now scientific evidence of the brain - where they've proved that there is a hormonal difference between heterosexual and homosexual individuals. You can hold your beliefs - I won't argue with you, but I think that your Mom is correct. There are very strong genetic predispositions towards sexual preference, and many homosexual people will tell you that they knew they were born gay - long before they ever hit puberty. If being gay IS a choice - ask yourself this: WHY would ANYONE choose that choice for themselves?? It doesn't make sense. That's like saying that a person chooses to be born with downs syndrome or chooses to be born as a little person or chooses to be born with MS (mutiple sclerosis). No one would wish that upon themselves. What a person CAN choose is whether to hide being gay or deciding to accept it, and be flamboyant and parade around. That's what I believe. Anyway, I'm glad that you have gay and bi friends.

Take care.
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Apr 17, 2009, 08:16 PM

I suggest doing some research and making your own opinion. There are statistics that go both ways, and arguments on both sides.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 17, 2009, 08:27 PM

This is a question that does not have a answer
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2009, 06:35 AM

They have tried to prove it through science but it all sounds pretty inconclusive.

I personally believe that it is something people are born with but that's just my opinion.

A friend of mine had shown gay tendencies since a very young age... when he turned 16 he told us all he was gay...
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2009, 06:36 AM

Sorry, I just had to add this...
    Are you gay or straight?

Would you just sleep with another girl because you felt like it?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 18, 2009, 06:55 AM

Gays have been around as long as man has walked the earth, but no one knows why they are the way they are. The only thing we do know is they are people too, and deserve the same treatment we all do. You don't have to understand them, just live with them.
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2009, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Are you gay or straight?

Please read the site rules, my answer was not factually incorrect therefor you shouldn't give me a reddie.

I was making a point that if you couldn't just decide to sleep with a girl then your theory of choice is wrong.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2009, 12:07 PM

Recent scientific studies of the brain(pet scans) have shown a difference in the brains of homosexuals that give further credence to the genetic theory of homosexuality.

Years ago,before is was OK to be gay,my gay friend said to me *If it was a choice,do you think I would have chose this*?
    The social stigma at the time was akin to being a social outcast.
    I am of the mind set that it is NOT CHOICE.
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2009, 12:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Are you gay or straight?

She does this all the time with the reddies.I tried to give you a balancer greenie but had to spread the rep.The admin.will take it off ,as she is clearly misunderstanding the reason for a reddie!
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Apr 18, 2009, 12:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    Recent scientific studies of the brain(pet scans) have shown a difference in the brains of homosexuals that give further credence to the genetic theory of homosexuality.

Years ago,before is was OK to be gay,my gay friend said to me *If it was a choice,do you think I would have chose this*?
    The social stigma at the time was akin to being a social outcast.
    I am of the mind set that it is NOT CHOICE.
    In school or my school at least they are beginning to teach the causes of homosexuality as part of science classes, and from what I've learned from that, it pushed me further into thinking its NOT a choice as well. But before the classes, I believed it wasn't a choice
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2009, 12:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    She does this all the time with the reddies.I tried to give you a balancer greenie but had to spread the rep.The admin.will take it off ,as she is clearly misunderstanding the reason for a reddie!

Thanks artlady I appreciate the gesture :)
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Apr 18, 2009, 12:32 PM

I personally believe that there are instances where both possibilities are true. I do believe that many people are born homosexual. That there is a physical reason for it, but I do not believe every single gay individual in the world is true to this scientific reason. Despite the stigma I do believe there are some that are gay by choice. I do not see it as a black and white question. What matters isn't the person's orientation but how the person acts, manners, morals, just the same as everyone else. Being homosexual does not mean someone is a bad person anymore then being heterosexual does. Just my opinion but that's how I feel.
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2009, 12:55 PM

Couldn't give you good rep silverfox but I like your way of thinking :)
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 18, 2009, 01:26 PM
    Turtlegirl16 disagrees: this may be hypocritical but I think that's personal.
    Turtlegirl16, once again I will ask you, please read the rules and regs of this site! You cannot indiscrimately give a disagree at will.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 18, 2009, 01:53 PM

My opinion is that you're born gay, but that's just opinion, not fact.

I have gay friends too, and they all knew at a very young age that they were gay.

So, choice? I don't think so.
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2009, 03:56 PM

I participated because most of my friends are either gay or bi
    Why aren't you asking them?
    These are your friends? If most of your friends are gay that is a good indication you are as well.People tend to hang with people who are like them.It's all good.You have to be with people who *get you* :)

I suspect from your posts that you are struggling with some issue about your own orientation.

I also sense a lot of anger in you.From a virtual point only but I do.

For example,you have been told that you give out reddies for factually incorrect information. You continue to give them out whenever someone disagrees with your opinion.

You are angry and I think you are in some sort of a issue about your own sexual preference and please know that we will help you to the best of ability.

Being angry about things doesn't do much to change things.

You need to be nicer to people around here if you want anyone to be nice back.
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2009, 04:23 PM

Comments on this post
    Altenweg agrees: You just gave me my 1100 greenie and my next square. Thanks. :)
    Greeniies are my favorite ! I love to give greenies because its so nice when people make you think and smile and when you see them sharing the love,its all good!I think I have only given under 10 reddies. Well deserved! :D
    I don't care about greenies,
    Yes I do but I really want an animated avatar would be nice.I want one.Can you talk to someone :rolleyes:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mom's Way Or No Way! [ 15 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone can relate to me. I'm getting married in Sep my fiancé and I have been together a little over three years now. I started planning our wedding about a year ago when we officially announced our engagement. When I first started I was really happy and excited, but now I...

Brother won't leave mom's house after mom's death [ 3 Answers ]

Hello My mother died recently. My brother is the executor of the estate. He lived with my mother prior to her death. The will clearly states that of all of mom's posssessions go into an estate, get sold and then be evenly distributed among six siblings. My brother is refusing to put the...

My mom's loser boyfriend [ 2 Answers ]

So 4 years ago my parents got a divorce, I was 13. I kind of expected it so it didn't hit me as hard as I thought. My mom started dating this guy who was 23 and she was 37. I was a bit bothered by this but at the time she let me do practically whatever I wanted, and I was a rebellious teen I guess...

Mom's Surgery [ 6 Answers ]

Tomorrow my mom is going into surgery to have some of her intestines removed. She has to have 3 inches of small intestine removed, plus some of the large intestine. There is nothing wrong with the large intestine, but the doctor recommended it, I can't remember why. I'm cannot remember the exact...

View more questions Search