Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 07:37 PM
    Is this a bad mommy move?
    My daughter is quite the tomboy. She's a big explorer, not big on t.v. loves her cat, and loves to put on my clothes and play in dirt.

There's one thing she does that I am unsure of... she likes to go IN the dryer. She opens the door and just climbs right in.

I'm not really bothered by it, but I'm also second guessing myself.

Is it okay- or not? She's only 2.

Should I stop this or just let her do it?

Do your kids do odd things like that too? Or is it just mine?

Sarah
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2009, 07:40 PM

I don't think the dryer sounds like a safe place for a two year old. I would find a way to get a hook on it or prop it closed so that she can't open the door.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2009, 07:41 PM

My opinion do not allow her to go in there. Anything can happen, accidents do happen. You need to be firm with this. So yes even though it may be a fight on your hands. Got to stop this behaviour.

Mine figures out a lot of things. Actually today my little one climbed up on his own high chair and sat himself down. He knows how to buckle himself and Unbuckle himself as well. He figured out the front locks and now we have to get more locks.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 17, 2009, 07:56 PM
    I concur with the advice above. It does not sound like a safe place to be. Remember how climbing into refrigerators is dangerous? What if she climbs in and you are not right there to help her out should she close the door on herself?
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 08:01 PM

My gut was right. Thanks.. this is going to be a battle; she loves little corners and small spaces. I got her an indoor tunnel but she's gotten over it.

This is going to be tough. Thanks for letting me know.

Sarah
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 08:10 PM

N0help4u agrees: and today the dryer... tomorrow the dishwasher or oven? Scary
    Let's not be silly. I don't have a dishwasher.

Kidding.

On a serious note: I really don't know what to do when it comes to "disciplining" her. She's actually a really good kid. She's had very few tantrums in which I dealt with fast and she doesn't have them any more. The dryer is upstairs in a room with no door- perhaps a baby gate.

I really don't want to take her "safe" place away? Anyone have any suggestions or ideas where my little one can burrow?

Sarah
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2009, 08:10 PM

Maybe take the tunnel and add 'rooms' to it
    Sort of like a maze that she or you can change the rooms around to keep it interesting.
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2009, 08:12 PM
    Also my kids loved taking a blanket and making a tent.
    Or you could try just throwing a sheet over a table.
    Another one kids love is a big appliance box
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 08:17 PM

Thanks N0help. I've tried the sheet over the table; she gets finicky about placement and it's like she knows blankets don't belong anywhere else but her bed. For a 2 year old she's really anal.

Sarah
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2009, 08:20 PM

Maybe buy her a little tent.
    tents for kids - Live Search Images
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 08:25 PM

Darn it; she's got one of those and a playhouse.

What if I clear up a cabinet for her, or let her use the ones with just the plastic containers? I've seen her go in there before.

The way she is she likes weird closed space like: behind the couch, under her bed, cabinets, and as said, the dryer.

Do you think that has anything to do psychologically? She hasn't been through any trauma. Do you think she doesn't feel safe? ...or am I over analyzing?..

Sarah
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2009, 08:28 PM

I hope you solve your problem soon... all the previous suggestions are good ones, really.

(hey NH4U! Long time not seen! You still on the desert island? ;))
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 18, 2009, 10:47 AM
    I always kept the cabinet under my sink empty and clean. My kids loved to go under there with toys, books and flashlights.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2009, 10:52 AM

Get her a nice sized box to hide in.Something just a little bigger than she is.Its the hiding she is enjoying.Get her a box that has a cardboard flap on it,or tape a flap on it.
    Fuzzball_Kara Posts: 279, Reputation: 74

Apr 21, 2009, 03:57 PM

Try big boxes.. I used to love those.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2009, 04:15 PM

Get some chairs and sheets togethe to make her a fort. My daughter love doing to be in this with her flashlight and kiddie radio. I even brought her a kid tent to put in the living room to use as her hideout.

For some reason my daughter used to like close spaces. It took me a while to get her from napping under her bed.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2009, 04:23 PM
    When I was little, my brother and I always emptied the tupperware cabinets and climbed in there. I still remember it. I think this is a much safer option then the dryer. Also, if you can't find her you will know she is in the cabinet because your stuff will be on the floor.

You asked if there is a psychological issue to her crawling into small spaces - I would think not. Lots of kids do it. I think its more a matter of a healthy imagination.
    Sunflowers Posts: 218, Reputation: 23

Apr 21, 2009, 04:26 PM

My little guy is into everything he can possibly imagine or think of. He even tries to fit into his little cars and trucks :) I wouldn't let him climb into the dryer though... I'd be afraid that he might do it again and again and maybe someday he might end up accidentally in there when it gets turned on Yikes!
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2009, 08:24 AM

Personall, I think you're overanalyzing. I used to empty out the cabinet that my parents kept their "tupperware" in and sit in it on a daily basis. My 2-year-old crawled into a cupboard a few weeks ago.

I don't think she has "security issues", so to speak. I think she's just a curious little girl... much like mine :) Let her crawl behind the couch, but the dryer is definitely a no-no! Tell her no and explain to her that it's not safe... she's smart enough to understand you, I guarantee it :)
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2009, 08:30 AM

No worries guys. I had a bad mommy moment.

I babygated that room. I went to a kids store here in my city and bought a "cave" like play place. I ended having to move my dinner table and I put it in a corner of the dining room, I also put the tunnel at the enterance of this cave- she loves it.

Here's what it looks like:

Sarah

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A New Mommy [ 4 Answers ]

What do I do? I just had my baby a week ago and I'm breast feeding him and baby daddy wants to take him to he's mom's house.. I keep on telling him no to understand that he is small but he says he doesn't give a **** what I say... he's never helped me with anything for the baby.. and some times...

I'm a mommy. [ 6 Answers ]

I had a beautiful baby boy on Sept. 19th.. he is premature.. 11 weeks to be exact.. he is a little fighter.. I had some complactions and the dr didn't want to risk my life to carry him full term... but he is doing so wonderful.. breathing on his own and all.. he was born at 28 weeks and 3 days.. he...

Mommy who needs to know [ 10 Answers ]

o.k so here is my story , when I was 17 I had a son I was really young ang hated his father , I lived with my grandma , and right after I had a baby my great grandfather died so my grandma couldn't help me so I moved in with baby dad and his family ,I really wasn't ready to be a mom , so I went out...

View more questions Search