Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 06:54 PM
    Crime and light pollution
    Too many times we read about crimes and how much it cost to fight crime etc.

I remember when a front yard light was turned on to see who's at the door. Or, their not home the lights aren't on.

My questions are:

Has anybody read how much it roughly cost to deter/fight crime by keeping so many lights on?

Could a power plant or two be basically supporting and making electricity just because of crime and wasting that resource?

Simply how much juice and cost of electricity does crime cause.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2009, 07:01 PM

It costs less than $5 a month to keep a typical yard light on all night. I use a newfangled CFL light bulb equivalent to a 100W Edison bulb so I probably spend less than $1 a month on this.

I think that lights on at night does deter crime in that the criminals don't want nosey neighbors watching them. I've belonged to many neighborhood crime watches in my time and I did find that when there are lights on at night there will always be nosey neighbors looking out their windows at 2AM, 3AM, 4AM etc. Criminals basically like the darkness to break into homes, etc.

Where I currently live I don't think there are enough lights on in my neighborhood. The single yard lights don't really do much good in certain areas. I like to keep my porch lights on even if I am home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is natural crime and legal crime [ 5 Answers ]

Natural crime and legal crime

Natural crime and legal crime [ 1 Answers ]

Compares and contrasts the concepts of “natural crime” and “legal crime.” List each of the major crimes used by the FBI in its crime index. Decide which crimes might be considered mala in se (wrong in itself) or mala prohibita (wrong only because it is prohibited by law). Include a rationale for...

Need definition of natural crime and legal crime [ 1 Answers ]

Am doing a college paper on Natural Crime and Legal Crime and am searching for simple definitions or other research on these two types of crime and what falls under each. Thanks:)

Natural crime and legal crime [ 2 Answers ]

It appears I am up and have the same class now. I need a little assitance in getting a paper for the topic of natural crime and legal crime. Can some one help a brother out?

Light pollution [ 2 Answers ]

Where in Florida is it possible to see the night sky without any light pollution

View more questions Search