Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 05:36 PM
    toilet Water Level
    I read about 10 pages and couldn't find an answer to this...

We just bought a new house and the toilet in the master bathroom only has about an inch of water in the bowl and flushes "like a girl" (pardon the expression)

Is this something that can be fixed/adjusted or do I replace the entire toilet?

Thanks plumbers!
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 05:59 PM

It might help to know the brand of the commode that is causing trouble.

I am not sure what you mean by "Flushes like a girl" but I will still try to answer your question. First thing for you to do is to take the top off the tank and look at the water level in the tank after it has been flushed and has refilled. The level should be about 1/2 inch below the over flow pipe, this is the tall tube standing up in the middle of the tank. If it is lower than that you need to adjust the lever of the water. Since I don't know what kind of valve you have I don't know how to tell you to do it. So I will guess that you have a float hanging on a wire rod, if that is so make the float go up higher on the rod with what ever adjustment screw or lever there is.

If the water level is OK then I would have you look for a refill tube coming from the top of the valve and going into the over flow tube. If there is not one then I would suggest that you go and buy a new fill valve, the proper name for it is a (ballcock) one that has the refill tube and replace the complete valve. I think this will solve your problem.

You your ballcock already has the refill tube I would work on the flapper valve, (this is the neoprene flapper with a chain or cork on it attached to the handle. If this chain has a piece of foam on the chain that can be adjusted up or down, you need to adjust the piece of foam down on the chain, this will make the flapper float longer and let more water into the bowl.

I have said a lot and may not even be talking about the right kind of workings in your commode. So if you will describe what the insides of your commode looks like.

Let me know what you find out.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 07:04 PM

Sorry - I actually don't have any of that information yet. We've not moved in yet.

What I mean by 'flushes like a girl' is that it is a very weak flush and takes several seconds of holding down the lever to get the process to even proceed on its own. Even then, it is a very weak flush, barely clearing the bowl.

I will get as much additional information on the toilet as I can and repost it here tomorrow.

Thanks for your time.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 07:15 PM

Just from that information in your last post I suspect that your problem is going to be with the flapper that lets the water go from the tank into the bowl.

Let me know.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 09:08 PM

Hi Steve,

It sound like you have problem with the water level, and have prolem with the flapper valve as Letmetellu has state.

Adjusting the level of water in the toilet tank keeps your toilet flushing completely. The water level normally falls about 1 inch below the rim of the overflow tube. Lower levels don't allow the float ball to raise high enough to close the ball cock; a water level that is too high will continuously run, wasting water and forcing you to listen to the running water all day.

A bad flapper valve will also give you some flushing problems.

See the imagges below and tell us which type of fill valves do you see inside the water tank, then some one will tell how to adjust the water level, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

MsCanFix Posts: 62, Reputation: 3

Apr 17, 2009, 10:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    I read about 10 pages and couldnt find an answer to this...

We just bought a new house and the toilet in the master bathroom only has about an inch of water in the bowl and flushes "like a girl" (pardon the expression)

Is this something that can be fixed/adjusted or do I replace the entire toilet?

Thanks plumbers!
    That's funny, cause my toilet flushes and even refills "like a guy" So aggressive and sloppy it knocks you bum right off the seat.;) These guys here are great, your in good hands, they helped me with my toilet problems. Good luck!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 18, 2009, 11:19 AM

Looks like you have Low Flush Toilet and fill tube is not attached to overflow tube. Open lid, reattach fill tube and see what it does.

As far as not enough water per flush: adjust your flopper styrofoam float.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Water Level [ 5 Answers ]

How do I lower the water level in a toilet? I just bought a condo and the water level is much too high, it has to be lowered. How would I do it without calling a plumber? Can anyone help??

Toilet bow water level [ 2 Answers ]

How do I increase the water level in the toilet bowl?

Water leakage + toilet bowl water level [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a new house (1.5years old) and I recently noticed water leakage from the ceiling just below the master bathroom on the 2nd floor. I called the home builders (I have warranty on this house) and they said they could not find any leaks and that it happened because of improper usage. I am...

Toilet water level [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all, Does a toilet bowl water level fluctuate. In other words, my bowl looks to be fuller sometimes than others. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when I flush, it sounds like the toilet is going to get sucked through the drain pipe. Everything appears to be operating...

Low water level in toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently installed a new toilet upstairs, and the water level in the basin is constantly too low. When the toilet is flushed, the water disappears very quickly, and then goes back slowly to its original level. The other toilet I've installed in the room next door works fine. Both soil pipes...

View more questions Search