Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RG Hoch Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2009, 03:49 PM
    Oatey Drain fitting
    I am installing a shower pan using an Oatey threaded drain fitting. It came with a rubber washer.

Does this rubber washer go underneath the shower drain pan? I can't imagine it goes on top, because I intend to use silicone under the top.

Also, the threads in the female part of the fitting are interrupted. Will teflon tape seal the fitting well enough or do I need to use pipe dope?

Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 17, 2009, 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RG Hoch View Post
    I am installing a shower pan using an Oatey threaded drain fitting. It came with a rubber washer.

Does this rubber washer go underneath the shower drain pan? I can't imagine it goes on top, because I intend to use silicone under the top.

Also, the threads in the female part of the fitting are interrupted. Will teflon tape seal the fitting well enough or do I need to use pipe dope?

Thanks
    If your drain looks like this,(see image) then the gasket goes under the shower floor.
    Also, the threads in the female part of the fitting are interrupted
    Please explaIn, what female threads are you referring to?
    Never use pipe dope on plastic threads. It will cause the thread to slip when you crank it down. If I've put up the wrong drain image please correct me. Regards, Tom
    Attached Images

Apr 18, 2009, 06:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    If your drain looks like this,(see image) then the gasket goes under the shower floor.
    Please explaIn, what female threads are you referring to?
    Never use pipe dope on plastic threads. It will cause the thread to slip when you crank it down. If I've put up the wrong drain image please correct me. Regards, Tom
    That picture is not the correct drain fitting.

The Oatey drain fitting I am using is a two piece fitting with a female solvent welded lower section and a male threaded upper section. The threads inside the female lower section are not continuous. They have a tapered gap between the treads at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions looking downward. I don't know the purpose of these gaps.

My concern is that I won't be able to tighten the fitting sufficiently to draw the lower section flush against the bottom of the pan. The threads seem sticky as I tested the fit. I will use silicone caulk beneath the top where it rests on the shower pan, but I would like to have a good seal with the rubber gasket beneath, as well.

Thanks,
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 18, 2009, 06:36 AM
    Would this be the shower drain you're referring to? Ifnot how about a part number or a picture. Cheers, Tom
    Attached Images

iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2009, 07:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RG Hoch View Post
    That picture is not the correct drain fitting.

The Oatey drain fitting I am using is a two piece fitting with a female solvent welded lower section and a male threaded upper section. The threads inside the female lower section are not continuous. They have a tapered gap between the treads at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions looking downward. I don't know the purpose of these gaps.

My concern is that I won't be able to tighten the fitting sufficiently to draw the lower section flush against the bottom of the pan. The threads seem sticky as I tested the fit. I will use silicone caulk beneath the top where it rests on the shower pan, but I would like to have a good seal with the rubber gasket beneath, as well.

Thanks,
    Sounds like you're using the wrong drain assembly for the wrong application.

The drain you describe is for a mud-set installation, the drain you need for your application is the one in Toms first photo.

Did some research -- If your drain looks like this one, then installation instructions are linked at the bottom of the page.

Apr 18, 2009, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Would this be the shower drain you're referring to? Ifnot how about a part number or a picture. Cheers, Tom
    Yes, that is the drain fixture I am using. The shower base has a 3 inch thick foam underlayment that has a 5 1/2" circular opening for the drain fixture. I originally got the one you showed first, but it's too wide for the opening in the foam and I didn't want to cut a lot of it away, so I went with the one shown in the second photo.

If it need to be set in mud, I can do that when we fill in the hole in the slab. Is it necessary because it might shift?

Thanks
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 18, 2009, 09:41 AM
    Unless you're planing a custom tile shower then the first drain I posted is the one you'll be using. Cut the foam out and install the correct drain. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PVC drain dry-fitting and solvent glueing [ 10 Answers ]

I am trying to replace all the plumbing in my house with PVC drainpipe. All the 'books' say to dry-fit the system to get the lengths and angles of pipe and fittings and to mark the joints with a "T" pattern marking the seam and fitting angle. The same books say to use these reference marks when...

Fitting bathtub drain [ 2 Answers ]

I'm fitting a bathtub drain with abs and welding the pieces together. When it comes to fitting it to the p-trap riser that's threaded do I need to use teflon tape ? Thanks for any help

Fitting flange in a tilted toilet drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I need to replace the flange, but the 4 inch cast iron drain coming through the floor is at a slight angle. This is causing the "twist-n-set" replacement flange to be raised one whole inch on one side. Is there another type of flange that may work better?

Can closet flange be used as drain fitting. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 4" cast iron drain pipe flush with my basement concrete floor that was used for a toilet. The pipe does not have a hub connector. The toilet was installed without a closet flange. I want to use this drain for a bathroom being added on the floor above. Is it possible to use a PVC Twist...

Oatey Brass No-Calk Shower Drain ?'s [ 0 Answers ]

I will be installing a 36" x 36" cultured marble shower pan over a wooden subfloor (I live in a condo) and plan on using an "Oatey Brass, No-Calk Shower Drain" (pn 42150) because I will not have any access from below during the installation process. Seeing that I cannot afford to have this...

View more questions Search