Ask
    sandra19475 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2009, 11:18 AM
    IRS and garnishments
    Can the IRS garnish my social secruity check
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 17, 2009, 01:23 PM

If it is put in your bank by direct deposit, yes, because all the funds in your bank account are the same. Have the govt. send the cheque to your home address, cancel the direct deposit, so it won't be fair game to the IRS.

Tick
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 01:29 PM

I don't know if that's necessarily true, tickle. While SSI funds are generally exempt, some agencies are still allowed to take them. Here's an interesting thread on this very topic:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/bankru...ent-59091.html
    Here's a specific post listing the law:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/bankru...ml#post1196358
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 17, 2009, 01:40 PM

Hi This! (hate calling you that). I think Judy once said, it can't be taken as long as you can prove a portion of your bank account was the benefits. But I don't know how you would go about doing that. I can't see the bank going back at your request and sorting out deposits.

Regards, tick
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 01:43 PM

Let's say I receive SSI. If someone wins a judgment against me in small claims, they can file to have my account frozen. If I don't write my bank and tell them that they can't release my funds because they're exempt, they'll hand them out.

However, the IRS doesn't fall under that category. The same way the courthouse can intercept someone's tax refund when they have past due fines, but I can't when they owe me money from a lawsuit.

It's stupid and biased, but they're the higher ups; they make the rules!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many pay garnishments at once [ 1 Answers ]

How many pay garnishments can be attached to ones pay at the same time in New Jersey?

Garnishments in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

Is it true, that your wages can not be garnished for a medical bill if you have dependent children in the state of NJ?:confused:

Garnishments [ 1 Answers ]

I'm having a problem with IRS too! A couple of years ago, our taxes were done correctly, but a former employer reported our taxes incorrectly. So... the IRS is coming after us for nearly 75K. Well, the IRS doesn't give a hoot about us, they just want their money. And then maybe they will...

Garnishments [ 1 Answers ]

What percentage of my salary can my employer garnish for a credit card debt?

View more questions Search