Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aleighbookal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2009, 08:33 AM
    Giving gifts
    We are going to Jamaica for a few day, we are going to stay with my husbands family that I have not met. I want to bring gifts. What would be good to bring?
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 01:22 PM
    Bring a gift that is representative of your home town. Or ask your husband if he knows of anything they like that might be difficult for them to get where they are.
    EliseLynn Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2009, 11:43 AM

Great advice JJ!
    I have found a wine from the region is usually tasteful and appropriate, also risky in transport lol. Consider local photography and have it framed. You may want to be cautious of local customs depending on the region. Giving a lavish gift may seem nice, but may offend the host. Some cultures see flashy or lavish things not as nice, but tacky or disrespectful to those around them. You might also avoid hand-crafted items. Many regions are not as rich as America, but enjoy a higher quality of goods, especially with wood carved items or hand crafted jewelry.
    You might choose to scour the web for an original gift. Another idea is something in American roots. I am from a reservation, and find that many countries are interested in the Native American roots of the United States. Some, like in Europe fancy it as we imagine egypt. A good authentic Native American piece may be a piece of turquoise jewelry, a Kachina Doll, or pottery. If that is of interest I can help you locate where you might find something of that nature in your area.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 6, 2009, 02:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by EliseLynn View Post
    Great advice JJ!
    I have found a wine from the region is usually tasteful and appropriate, also risky in transport lol. Consider local photography and have it framed. You may want to be cautious of local customs depending on the region. Giving a lavish gift may seem nice, but may offend the host. Some cultures see flashy or lavish things not as nice, but tacky or disrespectful to those around them. You might also avoid hand-crafted items. Many regions are not as rich as America, but enjoy a higher quality of goods, especially with wood carved items or hand crafted jewelry.
    You might choose to scour the web for an original gift. Another idea is something in American roots. I am from a reservation, and find that many countries are interested in the Native American roots of the United States. Some, like in Europe fancy it as we imagine egypt. A good authentic Native American piece may be a piece of turquoise jewelry, a Kachina Doll, or pottery. If that is of interest I can help you locate where you might find something of that nature in your area.
    Elise, I hope they enjoyed their trip. Did you notice it was from last April?
    robinad Posts: 86, Reputation: 8

Feb 1, 2011, 09:25 PM
    I would ask your husband what each person likes. Perhaps bring them gifts/things they can not get in in the United States. I would honestly make sure you have a big enough suit case to bring them all something. Make sure you don't leave anyone out either. That would be tacky.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gifts from above [ 8 Answers ]

Being able to hear and see in Spirit while awake or in prayer, could this be a gift , and what kind of gift would it be?:D also sometimes when meeting people I can feel their different pains in their life. And I don't even know them, what kind of gift could this be. Also sometimes knowing what...

God Given Gifts [ 3 Answers ]

How do I know what Gifts God has given to me?

Pay for the gifts? [ 8 Answers ]

So I bought my ex gift and then subsequently have broken up. We have been in no contact for 2 weeks now. I know this sounds rude, but should I ask him to pay me back for the gift? Sure it sounds vindictive, but you know I will feel better and I am sure he probably doesn't want to see gifts that...

Wedding Gifts- Money vs gifts [ 2 Answers ]

Our grandson is getting married. The brides family is very wealthy while we are of meager income. Is it proper to give a modest gift of money or more proper to give a gift?

God given Gifts? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I go to Christian City Church Oxford Falls in Sydney and a guest speaker called Theo Wolmarans came to our Church this week. God moves powerfully through him in the gift of healing. I have seen some amazing things God has done through this man. My question is why can't we all have such a gift?...

View more questions Search