Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CBREECE3 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2009, 10:04 AM
    New Kitchen sink leaks at plastic valve
    We installed a new kitchen sink and replaced all the PVC pipe with new and also had to put in new plastic water line from the on/off valve to the new faucet. For the first couple of days it did not leak at the valve but now I it is leaking at both valves. The plastic water line has a triangle ball looking thing on the one end. Does that end go to the valve or to the faucet? If we put it on wrong would that cause the leak or is it bad valves?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 11:27 AM

When installing a plastic line onto a stop cock they often require a small brass sleeve inside the plastic pipe,recall seeing ny little left over tubes?

Apr 16, 2009, 12:11 PM
    We didn't see anything that would have been left out. The only thing that was on the new gray water line when we bought it was a little white stopper for the brass fitting piece to go against and that was it. The only reason we bought new gray water line is that the original ones were too short so all we did is replace what was already there?

Apr 16, 2009, 12:12 PM

If you still have the packaging maybe we can tell what you have. If there is a nut holding the plastic tube on the stop cock try tightening it another half turn.

Apr 16, 2009, 12:17 PM
    If we had the gray water line installed upside down with the triangle looking side the wrong way would that make it leak? Is that end suppose to be at the valve or up by the faucet?

Apr 16, 2009, 12:39 PM

If you installed that line upside down it would have leaked from day one. Tighten the nut, Was there a ferrule or what to make th connection to the stop?

Apr 16, 2009, 01:04 PM
    What is a ferrule? It is attached to the valve by a brass fitting. Would pipe tape help?

Apr 16, 2009, 01:56 PM

No pipe tape is used with this type of pipe. Please do some homework by googling different plumbing terms. I wish I had a better library of materials to help you know the terms. This pipe is connected to the stop by either a ferrule or maybe a compression fiting but you need to see what that is in your minds eye to be able to help yourself. Here is what I got when I googled How a compression fitting works. Using compression fittings on the Natural Handyman home repair and do it yourself website
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 03:20 PM

Does the water supply look like this one ? If not, let's not complicate it: go to Home Depot and get one of these in the size and length you need. Sometimes they are hand-tie supplies. No tools necessary. Takes 2 minutes to put them in with minimal chance for leaks.
    Attached Images

mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 04:40 PM

Agree with milo, no need to mess with compresion type fitting any more, get one of the flex lav supplies that milo gave pics of.

Apr 17, 2009, 05:42 AM
    I did buy those flex lines that was in the picture. The one end fit the faucet but the other end to go onto the plastic valve is too small. Is there a piece that we could put on the valve to make it fit the flex line? Or is there another solution? My father was a union plumber but he is know deceased and he is the one who did all the plumbing in the house. So if that helps explain why it was like that or how he would have done it.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 17, 2009, 06:09 AM
    Those flexible faucet lines come in different sizes. Usually 3/8 and 1/2" connections at the stop valve. Sounds like you purchased a 3/8 and need a 1/2 connection to the stop valve. Back to the store.

Apr 17, 2009, 06:13 AM
    If that is all it is then you have made my day!! Off to the store I go! Thanks! I will let you know it that is what it is!
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 17, 2009, 08:21 AM

I may be little late with my entry, but...

HKstround is correct. The lines start at 1/4" and go all the way to 1/2" in 1/16" increaments. It may get confusing since there are couple of dozens combinations... But I am sure you can get the size you want. Let us know how you did..

Apr 20, 2009, 05:36 AM
    We went to Menards and found what we were looking for... 1/2" & 1/2". The line is a little to long but that is all they had. It works fantastic. Thanks for all you help! You guys have been wonderful!:D
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 06:50 AM

Sure, no problem. Glad to be of help...

It doesn't matter if it is too long. Just loop it to get it out of your way. For the future projects: avoid using the compression type connection. Good luck ! Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water leaks out under the vinyl floor near the kitchen sink [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I do not know where the water is coming from. It is not under the sink but under the vinyl flooring. Can anybody know or had the same problem? Thank you

Air Admittance valve under kitchen sink leaks [ 4 Answers ]

Hi fellows, I live in HongKong in one of those 32 stories apartment buildings. Have "Silentrap" P-trap with Air Admittance valve install under the kitchen sink. Lately sewage water leaks from the Air in-take of the AAV when water drains. Local plumbers advised just to seal the valve with...

Kitchen sink leaks into my basement [ 2 Answers ]

My kitchen sink leaks into my basement. The floor of my kitchen sink is not wet. The water leaks into the basement when I drain the water. I conducted a test, it does not leak from the water lines.

Kitchen sink sprayer leaks [ 5 Answers ]

Hello my problem is driving me crazy.. for the past year I have paid a plumber over and over again to replace the sprayer on my kitchen sink.. last few times I have bought the most expensive sprayers possible hoping they would last longer. But NOPE ! One of the plumbers told me after replacing the...

Kitchen sink sprayer leaks [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! We have a new sink/faucet system. When it was put in originally, 3 months ago, everything worked fine. But we had to have our countertops replaced and a new sink was put in and a different plumber hooked everything up. Since it has been hooked up this last time the sprayer leaks after it...

View more questions Search