Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 09:48 AM
    Percent composition
    Okay so I did this lab last week and since then have forgoten something so stupid that I will be hitting myself over the head when I finally remember how to do it.
    I need to find the concentration (or percent composition?) of vinegar in terms of % HC2H3O2 by weight. I calculated the molarity of vinegar to be 0.9552 and the molarity of NaOH that I titrated with was 0.1940.

What in the world am I doing? How do I solve this? If you could show me that'd be great, because I have another one with NH4 that's just like this.

Thanks For the Help!!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 11:30 AM

Once you find the concentration of CH3CO2H, you can convert that to a weight by multiplying the concentration by the molecular weight:

To get a percentage you divide the number of grams of acetic acid by the weight the sample (and multiply by 100). You can assume a 1 liter sample size since you calculated the concentration in moles per liter. If you don't know the weight of that sample and you don't know the density, you can simply use the density of water as an estimate if the concentration of acetic acid isn't very large (it isn't). Water weighs approximately 1000 g / Liter.
    Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 11:57 AM
    Sorry I really don't get what your saying in the second bit.
    I did the first one and got 0.0159 as the concentration, but the percent composition has me baffled.
    :-(
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 12:12 PM
    The molecular weight of acetic acid is 60.05 g/mol. If the concentration is 0.0159 moles/liter (make sure of your units and make sure you're correct -- I didn't check you), then the mass of acetic acid in one liter is:

So, there is 1.134 grams of acetic acid per liter of solution. If we assume that 1 liter of solution weighs 1000 g then

Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2009, 08:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    The molecular weight of acetic acid is 60.05 g/mol. If the concentration is 0.0159 moles/liter (make sure of your units and make sure you're correct -- I didn't check you), then the mass of acetic acid in one liter is:

So, there is 1.134 grams of acetic acid per liter of solution. If we assume that 1 liter of solution weighs 1000 g then

Uh ho... you're a little tired ol'boy? Well, putting in 1.034g/L, you'll obtain 0.1034%
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2009, 05:07 AM

Thanks. I was afraid that I might make a typo.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2009, 05:08 AM

It's OK Perito! :)
    Expert

Apr 19, 2009, 07:37 PM

Okay, I think I've got it now.
    Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Percy Motors has a target capital structure of 40 percent debt and 60 percent common [ 2 Answers ]

Percy Motors has a target capital structure of 40 percent debt and 60 percent common equity, with no preferred stock. The yield to maturity on the company's outstanding bonds is 9 percent, and its tax rate is 40 percent. Percy's CFO estimates that the company's WACC is 9.96 percent. What is Percy's...

Chemical composition [ 1 Answers ]

I need help I don't understand this! :confused: A sample of sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) weighs 15.0g. Calculate the following Quantities with work shown. A. moles of NaCO3 B. number of Na2CO3 formula units C. number of Na+ ions D. moles of CO3 2- ions

Calculate the percent composition of copper [ 1 Answers ]

Calculate the percent composition of copper in the hydrate CuSO4----5H2O based on the atomic weight data.

Porcelain, Composition [ 4 Answers ]

I have heard that porcelain crowns contain an aluminum salt, and I am concerned about ingesting even a small amount of aluminum due to memory loss.

% composition [ 1 Answers ]

If an experiment requires 5g of H2SO4 ,what volume of a 1% (w/w) solution should be used? Thanks

View more questions Search