Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SarBak77 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Sep 14, 2006, 07:04 PM
    "Messy" lease sit. Please help!
    I rented a room in a sorority house over the summer. Everything was great until the girls moved back in (8). Since then, it has been constant parties until 4:30 am, mind you I get up at 6am for work. I literally cannot sleep at night. Someone used my toothbrush one night, and left it on the sink full of water and toothpaste, which is repulsive. Also, the house is in a constant disaster. Garbage everywhere, dishes everywhere, beer cans, cig butts, it's a complete mess. I found myself cleaning up the messes, only to find them again the next morning after they partied all night long. So, I am in the process of moving. My question is, I signed a lease for a year. Not with the landlord, with the girls. What are my rights as a tenant? Is this a legal lease? Also, are my reasons for leaving justifiable for breaking the lease?
    Please help. :confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 14, 2006, 07:11 PM
    Umm, you rented a room in a sorority house and you didn't consider life was going to be like this?

Unless the girls had no right to sublet, the lease is proably legal and given it's a sorority house that is very likely.

Have you talked to the girls? Will they let you out of the lease?
    SarBak77 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Sep 14, 2006, 07:20 PM
    No, I realized that upon moving in, I would deal with the usual parties and mess. However, I had no idea it would be this extreme. They are partying on like Monday and tues nights, not just weekends. The deal with the lease, is that the landlord rents to college girls every two years. Within that time, if someone moves in, they sign the lease with the girls. I haven't asked them to let me out of my lease. I wrote the girl who's in charge, and the landlord, and informed them that I would be leaving. I guess Im just asking really what is permissible for breaking a lease? I mean, if I can't sleep, what am I suppose to do?
    Thanks for the reply :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 14, 2006, 07:55 PM
    Well for a person who worked on a college campus, yes the Greek houses are 25 hour a day activities, there will be someone awake at any time of the day and night, and yes normally the girls are non stop. Just wait till it is time for pranks and one house is doing pranks on another, life will get real lively then.

Let me see you have what would appear to be a legal lease, so you are liable for the rent until they find someone to move in. So I would be helping with adds and the such.

I bet most parents would be surpised at what really happens in most of the houses, it is not like it was 20 years ago.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2006, 07:57 PM
    I agree with your SarBak77,

If you can't sleep, you need to get out of there.

The girls MIGHT sue you. Come on, they are college kids, they might just let it drop.

If they sue you, tell your story to the judge. Maybe the Judge will find in your favour.

Granted, it is a sorority house, so parties are to be expected, but perhaps not to the extreme that you are experiencing.

Oh, do you have any proof of these parties?

Here is one idea. Do you have a video camera? Set it up (with a time and date stamp on it) and record it from 11pm to 6am on a weekday. That way you have proof of the amount of noise that is going on.

Another option, if you don't have a cam recorder, is in the middle of the night, call the cops on them for noise complains. Get a police report so at least you have proof that you reported it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 15, 2006, 05:25 AM
    I wouldn't recommend a camcorder, but a taperecorder might work, start the tape with a recording of a time check on a radio station.

But that's only if the girls give you a problem about moving out. I also doubt that the girls will sue you, but maybe one is a law student and they just might. You also need to read the lease. Does it specify how much the landlord gets monthly or does it specify how much each girl pays? If the lease specifies a monthly total, then the landlord is not likely to go after you since they will still get their total. But if the lease specifies what each signator pays, then the girls are off the hook and the landlord could go after you.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Sep 15, 2006, 07:39 AM
    Yes - you you need to leave. It is there home also. Ask to be let out of your lease and offer to pay a minimum penalty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

"Protect" and "Preserve" [ 6 Answers ]

What is the difference of the word "Protect" and "Preserve" ? Especially when it is used to mean protecting something. Sorry if my English is strange. (Preserve: to save something or someone from being harmed or destroyed, to make something continue without changing. / Protect: to keep someone of...

View more questions Search