Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blueskypilot Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2009, 07:57 AM
    Extreme Nocturnal Itching
    I have a problem with itching that is worse at night that started about 2 months ago. I do take some medications but have tried to discontinue them for a week or 10 days at a time to see if there is any change. I have been on 10mg of Lipitor for years, switching to 20mg around the time the itching started. I have not taken any for about 10 days now with no improvement. It started on my legs one night in the jacuzzi so bad that I had to get out. It felt like 50 fleas were biting me at the same time. It later spread to my forearms, hands, and feet. Now it is worse in the warm areas of my body, i.e. pubic area, underarms, but still pretty random. I have been taking benedryl every night just to be able to sleep. Often I get up in the middle of the night just to go itch without waking my wife. I do get a rash but it seems to be after repeated scratching of the area involved. I do not see any sign of mites, crabs, bedbugs, or fleas anywhere. I have switched soaps also with no change. Sometimes the itching in deep in the tissue where it does not even help to scratch. If I was reading this about someone else I would think they were a hypochondriac. I am not the allergic type but this seems quite real. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Blueskypilot
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 08:48 AM

Since you aren't seeing any improvement by eliminating the Lipitor, I expect that the problem is not that. I would think that the chemical would be completely gone from your body after 10 days.

I suggest you contact a dermatologist. I can think of a number of possible causes, but since I'd only be guessing, I hesitate to mention them.
    Par-man Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2009, 09:24 AM
    You are not alone, since I have the same issue. My condition started more than three months ago with extreme nocturnal itching on the back of my legs and has progressed to my entire body, the chest, arms, pubic area, leg fronts, and stomach. Sleeping at night is practically impossible. My dermatologist was of no help, but my GP has ordered blood panels of the liver. I am not on any medications. From what I can tell from an internet search, I have symptoms relating to something called PBC- Primary Biliary Cirrhosis, but I have yet to see my GP for the blood results and to confirm my suspicions. My thinking is that bilirubin in the blood is at a high level, but I do not have jaundice.

I would like you to contact me and I can share more of my results from my physician. It may be of some help to you.

Thanks.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2009, 10:28 AM

I had a similar issue, it was simply caused by heat, my bed covers were a little too efficient and the heat caused itching, so bad that I would scratch my legs to pieces in my sleep.

Apr 25, 2009, 04:28 PM
    shazamataz, Thanks for your posting. While I am a little heat sensitive, I keep the house cool and use cotton bedding. I use a different laundry detergent now, but I see no change.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 25, 2009, 05:00 PM

Has anyone considered bed bugs?

Really though, we can only guess. Time to go back to the doctor and get to the bottom of this.

Apr 25, 2009, 06:12 PM
    Yes. I looked into bed bugs, scabbies, detergent allergies. No bite marks on the body. This is a type of itch that shows no rash, unless you scratch, then the area becomes blotchy.

Apr 26, 2009, 06:03 PM
    Parman,
    Sounds almost identical to what I have been dealing with. I would be very curious about the liver aspect because Lipitor is supposed to be very hard on that organ. Do you know if the blood test your GP gave you will answer positive or negative for your suspicion? I hate to mention it without knocking on wood but it seems that I have had a few nights of reprieve as of late. I hope it continues. If so then I am suspecting Lipitor as the main culprit since I quit taking it a few weeks ago. Please let me know about the blood tests.
    Thanks,
    Blueskypilot

Apr 26, 2009, 08:25 PM
    Blueskypilot-
    I am glad to hear your condition has subsided. I wish mine did. I see my GP/Internal Medicine physician next week and I will let you know the specific liver panel he requested. I will bring up pbc with him, but the more research I do on the internet and after review of some of the past blood tests, my liver enzyme results are within limits. So that may rule out PBC. Briefly, I have had a life long history of elevated bilirubin, which was always just a shade over normal, but in recent years, has gotten worse, so I think that is where my physician is going. I am on Atarax for itching which helps to a degree. In addition to itching, I have welts on my hands and stomach and the lower half of my body sweats while I sleep. The welts are annoying and painful.

What did your doctor say about your condition? I would think he would do another blood test to check your liver function. I understand Liptor requires routine blood checks.

I will keep you posted.

Be well.

Par-man

Apr 27, 2009, 06:40 AM
    Par-Man,
    My doctor is also one of my golf buddies and says it may be stress related. He said to cut the amount of laundry detergent in half and use the double rinse cycle. I take my annual physical with complete blood test with liver panel next month anyway so maybe that will tell something. I keep hearing the "stress" word come up so I can't rule that out I guess. Keep me posted and thanks for the posts.
    Bluekskypilot

Apr 27, 2009, 06:57 AM
    BlueSkyPilot,
    I changed the laundry detergent as well, but the itching persisted. I am using a green product and using half the recommended usage. Stress could be it too, but the blood tests may suggest otherwise. My golf game can be stressful enough..

Par-man.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nocturnal skin itching [ 2 Answers ]

About an hour after my wife goes to bed, the back of her calves begin to itch and becomes a red rash with red bumps (at the hair follicles?) . It makes her loose sleep as she gets up usually twice to apply cortisone cream. She showers before bed and we've tried different body soaps. She's tried...

Causes of nocturnal itching [ 4 Answers ]

Possible infestation causing itching, especially at night, please explain.

Extreme happiness followed by extreme sadness [ 9 Answers ]

:confused: I am 20 years old and I have a problem. This is my first time posting a question on here, and I'm hoping to get some feedback. Maybe some ideas that I haven't heard before. See, I am generally a happy-go-lucky person. Most people see me as a REALLY happy girl, and I would even say...

Nocturnal Itch [ 1 Answers ]

I have this itch all over my body when I go to sleep sometimes, probably a few times a month. It's just itching without and visible signs of bumps or rash, and it disturbs my sleep till dawn. I have been told this is one symptom of having gallstones, but I have had my keyhole surgery last November....

View more questions Search