Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scorpion53 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2009, 11:03 PM
    Conservation of energy
    Ok I'm not entirely sure that I've got this question right so I would appreciate any help, so here it goes the question asks 'what energy transformations takes place on a high striker (a fairground activity in which a person hits a lever with a heavy hammer; the lever propels a mass up a vertical scale and the strike is powerful enough, the mass will ring a bell at the top).

I'm guessing that the answer is: potential energy is gained by raising the hammer up high. This is converted into kinetic energy when the hammer is swung and when it strikes the lever the kinetic energy is transformed back into potential energy as the mass rises eventually falling down back into kintice energy. However if mass strikes bell, some of the potential energy is converted into sound energy.

Thanks
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2009, 12:50 AM

So far, I don't see anything wrong... except that it is kinetic energy is converted to sound instead of potential energy since the mass stops going up after striking the bell.

In fact, the mass transfers its kinetic energy to the bell, which then vibrates with its kinetic energy, producing sound.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 06:43 AM

I would add that when the hammer strikes the lever its kinetic energy is transferred into KE that is split between the lever and the mass, although some KE is lost through heat as it is not a perfectly elastic impact between hammer and lever. The KE that was imparted to the lever is eventually lost to heat as the end of the lever strikes the ground, which is again not an elastic impact. So the initial KE of the mass is less than what the KE of the hammer was.
    scorpion53 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2009, 07:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion53 View Post
    Ok im not entirely sure that ive got this question right so I would appreciate any help, so here it goes the question asks 'what energy transformations takes place on a high striker (a fairground activity in which a person hits a lever with a heavy hammer; the lever propels a mass up a vertical scale and the strike is powerful enough, the mass will ring a bell at the top).

I'm guessing that the answer is: potential energy is gained by raising the hammer up high. This is converted into kinetic energy when the hammer is swung and when it strikes the lever the kinetic energy is transformed back into potential energy as the mass rises eventually falling down back into kintice energy. However if mass strikes bell, some of the potential energy is converted into sound energy.

Thanks

OK, so effectively potential energy is gained by raising the hammer up high. This is converted into kinetic energy when the hammer is swung and when it strikes the lever the kinetic energy is transformed back into potential energy as the mass rises eventually falling down back into kinetic energy. However if mass strikes bell, some of the kinetic energy is converted into sound energy.
    (So basically, potential->kinetic->potential->kinetic->Sound)?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2009, 08:20 AM

Some to sound, then the potential energy acquired is reconverted to kinetic as the mass falls.
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 08:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion53 View Post
    OK, so effectively potential energy is gained by raising the hammer up high. This is converted into kinetic energy when the hammer is swung and when it strikes the lever the kinetic energy is transformed back into potential energy as the mass rises eventually falling down back into kinetic energy. However if mass strikes bell, some of the kinetic energy is converted into sound energy.
    (So basically, potential->kinetic->potential->kinetic->Sound)?
    Actually it IS KE: As long as it is moving, it is KE. However, KE is decreasing as it raises due to acceleration of gravity ( -9.8 m/s ) and PE increasing, and it is only fully PE when it is at the top, hitting the bell, and not moving for an instant. When it starts to fall, PE decreases and KE raises as it's happening, the faster it falls, the more PE is converted into KE.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Physics (Conservation of Energy) [ 1 Answers ]

A 100g arrow is pulled back 75cm with an average force of 290N, aimed upwards, and released. Use the law of conservation of energy to solve these problems. a) Neglecting air resistance, how high should the arrow go? b) If the arrow went up 149m, how much work was done against air resistance?...

Car Collision (Conservation of Energy) [ 2 Answers ]

The front 1.20 m of a 1500 kg car is designed as a "crumple zone" that collapses to absorb the shock of a collision. (a) If a car traveling 22.0 m/s stops uniformly in 1.20 m, how long does the collision last? (b) What is the magnitude of the average force on the car? (c) What is the...

Conservation of Energy [ 2 Answers ]

Gayle runs at a speed of 3.50 m/s and dives on a sled, initially at rest on the top of a frictionless snow covered hill. After she has descended a vertical distance of 5.00 m, her brother, who is initially at rest, hops on her back and together they continue down the hill. What is their speed at...

Conservation of Energy With a Swing [ 1 Answers ]

a. 0 + mgh = 1/2mv^2 + 0 1/2mv^2 = mgh v=sqrt(2gh) = 3.43 m/s b. I'm not sure how to do this, so I had to hazard a guess: KE top + PE top = KE bottom + PE bottom + Work of friction => 0 + mgh = 1/2mv^2 + 0 + Wf => mgh - 1/2mv^2 = Wf

Is there no energy conservation [ 2 Answers ]

When we look at a particle's rest frame its energy is Mc^2. But the particle decay has some width, so the products of the particle,generally, will have total energy different than Mc^2. How can it be, is there no energy conservation.

View more questions Search