lpngu3 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Apr 15, 2009, 05:44 PM
    Wages expense vs accrued wages expense or prepaid expense
    Hi
    I have this question which I'm stuck on

Staff works a 14 day fortnight and are paid on the 15th day
    15-Jun Staff Wages $1279
    29-Jun Staff Wages $1279

So I drew up a timeline and figured out that staff will be paid on the 30th of jun, not 29th. Therefore, in this case, it means that business is paying wages earlier than the due date, so wages here will be classified as prepaid wages expense where expense paid in advance but not yet to be consumed (CA)

However, my assignment gives accrued staff wages vs staff wages expense

:confused: so please help
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2009, 12:54 AM

You're over-analyzing.

The dates they're giving is the period covered by the pay, not the date they're paying it. i.e. the period covered is through the 29th and will be paid on the 30th. So, yes, it is an accrual.

Never seen prepaid salaries in my life. A company might give an advance on a salary, but that's a loan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wages Expense Journal Entry [ 7 Answers ]

How would I record this Journal Entry? Paid wages $72,500. At year end wages payable total 17,300 Would I D Salaries Expense C Cash and then what do I do for the year end wages?

Wages, SST, Medicare, Car donation, business expense etc [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir/Madam, I am a citizen of India and was on F-1 from Aug 2001 to Jan2007, and on OPT working as a researcher in KS from Jan2007 to Jan2008. I filed my taxes (Form-1040) through the legal services and would appreciate your expert opinion on some of my questions and concerns. 1) Does the...

Wages Expense [ 1 Answers ]

Is the answer to the following question $8,000? Because there are 2 days left in the month that have not been paid. The question is: A company operates 5 days per week with a daily payroll of $4,000. The employees are paid every Saturday for the workweek(Mon-Fri). The last day of the month...

Wages Expense [ 1 Answers ]

Company x operates five days per week with a daily payroll of $4,000. Employees are paid every Saturday for the workweek just completed (Monday through Friday). The last day of the month is Wednesday, March 31. What is the amount of Wages Expense recorded on the next payday, Saturday, April 3? I...

View more questions Search