Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nicola1985 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2006, 02:02 PM
    Shouting/Crying/Yelling in sleep
    Just a question...

Ever since I can remember, any one who has ever shared a room or house with me has often told me that I shout out, cry, argue, swear etc in my sleep. This can sometimes be phsycial too as I sometimes wake myself up if I kick the wall etc... I've always thought that this only happens to people if they have had a traumatic upbringing or an event in their life. I haven't. So Why do I have terrbible sleeping habbits? Keeping everyone else awake by screaming and fighting etc? Even the next door neighbours hear me sometimes!

Is this normal? I'm 21 now and live a pretty relaxed life... quite stress free with no real worries.

Thanks

Xx
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 14, 2006, 03:08 PM
    I am wondering if you have a sleep disorder. Have you spoken to a doctor about this?

Do you remember any of your dreams?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2006, 04:02 PM
    I am with J9 most likely I would say it is a 99.9 percent tally that you do have some sort of sleeping disorder. The only way to get to the bottum of this is to see your doctor. Even suggest to your doctor that you get referred to a sleep clinic. They will be able to access the situation and come up with what is going on with you.

Is this behaviour normal in sleep the answer is, No.
    Nicola1985 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2006, 11:51 AM
    My doctors are useless.

Last time I went to see one of them about my picking problem ( because I can't stop picking my scabs and have ended uo scarring myself all over... especially bad on nmy arms and boobs), she said to me " what do you want me to do? Be there to stop you picking and tell you u off?". Another time when I went to see another doctor I asked for some more inhalors for my asthma to which response I got " Why didnt you tell me before, I have to print more off now... your wasting my prescriptions".

I have totally lost faith in my doctors and being transferred to another surgery would be too much hassle... so even if I;ve got a problem now, I try to deal with it myself.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 15, 2006, 12:07 PM

Sleepless nights
    Regarding my post about shouting etc in the night.

I never remember my dreams and I never remember shouting etc in the night, this is only from what other people have told me. The only dream I can remember is a few weeks ago where I was on a bus and the driver didn't stop at my stop and tried to tell me that it would be better off if I got off further down. I knew this was wrong and went mad at the driver and ended up punching out... knocking my alarm clock off my bedside cabinet and breaking it! Lol. Same thing happened with my phone the other night, but I can't remember that dream.
    Nicola, this is not normal for you. Neither is the way you are being treated by your physicians. It is necessary for you to find a new doctor. Before you go into your new doctor you should prepare a list of questions for him/her.

You should get a referral to a sleep disorder clinic.
    YeloDasy Posts: 363, Reputation: 81

Sep 15, 2006, 12:33 PM
    The picking is also a sign of a disorder... so I would suggest either trying a different doctor for the purpose of looking at sleep disorders and phycological counseling. If you are not comfortable with that, maybe a mental health clinic or private therapist can help with some of the issues and can refer you to the appropriate facility. Look at the mental health portion. They also might a be a little more sensitive emotionally.
    polly1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2007, 04:15 PM
    My husband yells very loud in his sleep it frightens me sometimes what could be the problem
    loonybin48 Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Sep 22, 2007, 08:52 PM
    Both my daughters are 'animated' in sleep (for want of a better word)... ie,sleepwalking and talking,when I mentioned this to my mum,she said that I did exactly the same as a child.I have to admit that even as an adult I have woken myself up by laughing or crying in my sleep.At the time my doc told mum it was just a very busy imagination and basically there weren't enough hours in the day for me to express myself... To be honest,it never occurred to me that this was anything serious?
    kwall311 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2008, 09:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicola1985 View Post
    My doctors are useless.

Last time I went to see one of them about my picking problem ( cos I can't stop picking my scabs and have ended uo scarring myself all over...especially bad on nmy arms and boobs), she said to me " what do you want me to do? Be there to stop you picking and tell you u off?". Another time when I went to see another doctor I asked for some more inhalors for my asthma to which response I got " Why didnt you tell me before, I have to print more off now... your wasting my prescriptions".

I have totally lost faith in my doctors and being transferred to another surgery would be too much hassle... so even if I;ve got a problem now, I try to deal with it myself.

Looking at your condition from a psychological perspective might prove to be more worthy than from a biological perspective. Picking behavior is often a physical manifestation of anxiety, just as nail biting. And it is widely accepted in the mental health field that shouting or fighting in your sleep is a sign of an anxiety disorder.

In a lot of anxiety cases, there has been a "trauma" or "life experience" that triggers the anxiety. However, some people have low levels of anxiety that manifest themselves in "quirks" or "tics" that are not overwhelming to the individual. Sometimes anxiety can arise from high levels of stress, or the inability to express how you feel (like at work, or with a specific family member) or an overall frustration with a life role or obligation. Often, one might believe they have no "trigger" but the subconscious is trying to work out frustrations of the day at a time when you are "safe."

This is a very low grade form of anxiety. It could be argued that you are coping quite well with a anxiety by dealing well throughout the day and only reacting to it when you've scabs or while you're sleeping. A psychiatrist or general practitioner could prescribe you something mild to help with the anxiety and you might find better sleep patterns as well as general ability to make it through the day.
    SlightlyBroken Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Dec 31, 2008, 10:38 AM

I have the same problem my mom and dad used to come running into my room at night because I would scream, yell, moan, and whimper... and probs other random noises in my sleep. I was so loud and so panicked that they thought someone was in my room hurting me. They would try to talk to me and calm me down. It got to the point I was afraid to sleep even though I wouldn't usually remember the dreams, I would still wake up feeling scared and confused. I was told it was part of my anxiety and depression, when I started taking an anti anxiety med as well as an anti depression med my dreams became a lot easier. Now I only have them like once every two weeks or so. Which is way better than every night.
    studioashes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2009, 07:00 AM
    It is so normal if you have

1. suppression of what you could have done in real life
    2. sometimes it is the sign of defeat or feeling that something should be done but you did not do that or psychologically
    Shouting yelling crying is the situations of real life that deep down you have buried
    3. mostly people who get trauma events, also dogs have experienced this kind of situations, running while sleeping and their feet kicking and moving up and down
    4. if you are in thes ituation where you are asked or required to repressed your emotion, and get a lot of pressure
    You are sure likely to have this common symptoms because where else can you express it?

THe mind through 5 sensational organs, we received all data and interprete them whether judgemental or just perceiving
    Sometimes we get so affected by that of whether like nor dislike stimuli, but what if we are not able to control our feeling, our urge because it si overwhelming, and treatening to us, This seem like a mechanism for those who are not
    Able to sort out their life problems, in the communicative ways or socially,

I hope you like my writing,

From somebody who never have eproblems or SOMNILOQUY and now is experiencing it every freaking days because
    Her problem with relationship with family, friends, works and life
    studioashes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2009, 07:05 AM

I forgot to read your question thoroughly, sometimes if this life , u have noooo experience of tormenting things in your brain, memory, past , etc... it could have been the past life, some , most of people who went to this kind of therapy found out that during the regression session, they were a prisoner in the past life, which they were born, previously and as a result, having died for such reason, so this life time they can't remember, but still probably the soul get a scar so it tries to release them but not fully get rid of it so it still there, and repeating itself
    Taank123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2012, 12:23 PM
    Hi am 27 & a few times a week, I shout in my sleep! I have bad dreams about getting suffocated under water or under my bed sheets. My wife has gotten really scared & often she has been awake the whole night. But it doesn't effect me, I just see the room light & wake up sweating. It is really effecting her sleep, I went to my local doctor & he said change my diet & work out more in the gym. It hasn't work & don't know what to do??
    klmanns Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2013, 07:29 AM
    I have been told I scream out real laud wakeing everyone up but never remember doing it, this has gone on for ten years, what is it?
    jesse100 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2013, 02:11 PM
    Sounds like RBD or 'violent sleep disorder' Please research it on the net. My husband has it and takes Klonopin before bedtime. It is a disorder where your muscles do not achieve atonia or paralysis during dream sleep. It is not a mental disorder, but an actual physical disorder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy crying [ 11 Answers ]

My 12 week old staff puppy crys when she can't see you and crys all night until I go downstairs and sleep with her what shall I do

Babies crying [ 23 Answers ]

Well now that we're all back home and *somewhat* back to a normal routine, I'm starting to think again about the baby I will be having. I'm due in mid-June, right around Father's Day actually, haha. Anyway, I've been starting to ask (and receive) a lot of baby advice from family and friends. Most...

Dog Crying after grooming [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, 2 days ago I had my cocker spaniel groomed professionally for the first time. Usually my husband has done her grooming. Since she has been groomed she acts as if she has a piece of poo stuck on her butt, she does not want to walk and when she does walk she walks as if trying to hide her...

Crying after orgasm [ 5 Answers ]

Is it normal after a big orgasm to cry?

Pregnant Dog crying [ 2 Answers ]

Our dog is pregnant. We breed her on April 8th and now all of a sudden last night she was real uncomfortable and crying. If we talked with her or petted her she was fine. Tonight she started the same. She is eating fine. Isn't it a little early? Do you think the pups are just moving around and she...

View more questions Search