Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Answer Seeker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2009, 08:46 AM
    Is there some logical reason for the center drain in a shower?
    Hello, new user here. Found this site by searching for shower floor drain. And you, speedball1, seem to know what you're talking about concerning my own situation, so I thought I'd ask you :)

After years of using a handheld shower attachment in a bathtub as a shower, I had just a low-curb, walk-in shower installed (different room, new installation). Of course the drain is right in the center with the four sides sloping toward it. Now to me the drain position seems really dumb, because that is exactly where most people stand while showering.

The drain strainer is metal with somewhat sharp edges... which could be dangerous as far as getting cut goes. And also the slight depression of the drain is dangerous as well.

Since I was used to my previous setup (handheld shower in a bathtub with the drain at the front of the tub) getting used to the new drain placement is hard.

My question is, why not put the shower drain in front and slightly slope the shower floor to the drain position there?

Is there some logical reason for the center drain? Because to me it seems highly ill-logical to place the drain right where you want to stand while having all that free space up front that would not be in anybody's way at all.

Of course I did not take any of this into consideration while the shower was being installed (never thinking that the center drain would be a problem), but was immediately disappointed as soon as I took my first shower. I would have told them to put the drain in front, if I had known how uncomfortable the center placement is.

So my "solution" is to use a rubber bath mat over the drain area, which helps, but is not ideal.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Set your mind at ease Stan, You don't need a liner and yes. you can pour a cement base and slope to the drain. You have a drain, a strainer and a trap. All the stuff you'll need for a floor drain. The only problem that I can see is elevation. After you pour a base and slope to the drain you will have a floor drain higher then the floor. Hope this helps. good luck, Tom
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 15, 2009, 11:39 AM
    you, speedball1, seem to know what you're talking about concerning my own situation, so I thought I'd ask you
    There are plumbers on this page I consider to be much sharper then me but thanks for those kind words.
    A shower drain can be installed in any location in a custom built tile shower. However most maufactured shower bases have a center drain,(see image). Most peop-le stand with their feet straddling the center derain so it doesn't bother them. Soundslike you got a bad tile job. Can it be repaired or are we talking about tearing up the tile base and resloping to the drain? Can you take a picture of the drain so we can see? Let me know. Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub drain center hole too big for strainer screw [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all. I bought a fancy, "universal" shower drain strainer for my boyfriend's bathtub (which had no strainer). It came with a 1-3/4"-long screw, about 11/64" in diameter (I don't know anything about screw sizes so I held it side-by-side with some drill bits we had and it was the closest match :o )...

Steps to convert basement toilet drain to shower drain [ 2 Answers ]

I want to convert a basement toilet drain to a shower drain. Is it a job that a do it yourselfer can do? If no- who do I hire-a plumber or a contractor? What would be a high end estimate of the cost to hire someone in New York? Also, sitting on the floor about a foot directly in front of the...

Leaking Center Valve in Shower [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, doing a little home repair today. Whenever we turn on our shower, water flows from the center tub spigot as well. I replaced the seats and washers on the hot and cold valves then I replaced the entire valve on the center diverter stem. Still leaks... pretty badly... Can anyone help...

View more questions Search