Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alejandro2009 Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Apr 15, 2009, 09:46 AM
    Does norton antivirus 2009 remove viruses that are present in your computer?
    Hi I have a virus in my computer now. I tried all the things people had told me to do and nothing has worked so far. So I want to buy norton antivirus 2009 but I need to know if it only blocks viruses or does it take them out as well if they are present in your computer? If it does how does it work or what do I need to do? Someone please help me I will highly appreciate it. Tjank you

-Alejandro
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2009, 09:59 AM
    Yes it does scan your computer for existing viruses and attempts to remove them.

In my opinion I don't recommend Norton products anymore, too bloated. I use a free AV that works great: Free antivirus - Avira AntiVir
    Helljack6 Posts: 107, Reputation: 8

Apr 16, 2009, 09:34 AM

Have you tried using free online virus scanners? There's simply nothing to install therefore no bloated software or whatnot. I don't recommend Norton or McAfee home products to anyone, let alone the home version of any antivirus software as it's just not as effective as the corporate editions of the software. You're going to pay more, but you're also getting a high level of protection. Virus don't care if you're using a home version or a corp version for a/v software, they just want in to do damage. What's right for you? That depends on how many times you want to reinstall your stuff because the software you paid for isn't measuring up.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 09:42 AM

Can I ask what makes you think you have a virus?

Rick
    alejandro2009 Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Apr 16, 2009, 01:58 PM
    To ITstudent2006,

I think it has a virus because there are some pop ups that appear on my screen that your computer is infected , etc. Also, sometimes it appears that your computer is infected with trojan something like that and I have been told that that's a virus but I'm not so good with computers.
    Helljack6 Posts: 107, Reputation: 8

Apr 16, 2009, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alejandro2009 View Post
    To ITstudent2006,

I think it has a virus because there are some pop ups that appear on my screen that your computer is infected and etc. Also, sometimes it appears that your computer is infected with trojan something like that and i have been told that thats a virus but im not so good with computers.
    That's most likely NOT a virus, but more so spyware / malware and any type of antivirus software ISN'T going to remove that. You get those types of pop ups based on the type of websites you visit in some cases, and in others, they come from if you've ever been to a site and clicked on an advertisement attached to that site for another site or product. Download, install and update Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D. Check out the two following links on how to set them up correctly, scan and remove any and all instances found. Your best bet is to scan the computer in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING since the majority of your infections become inert when the computer is in safe mode but can still be removed without harm to the system. It will also help the scan to go faster as it doesn't have a lot of associated processes that are running to dig and scan through.

Using Spybot - Helljack6.com

Using Malwarebytes - Helljack6.com
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 03:52 PM

It sounds like adware/spyware to me. AV's won't detect that thus any AV you end up uding will be superfluous. You should get a good adware/spyware remover.

The teo suggested by helljack6 are medium-high quality removers as rated by CNet. There are some better ones (in my opinion) but it's all personal preference.

Although Windows comes with Windows Defender (Windows version of spyware remover) most people use third paty vendors or freeware to get the job done. It's completely up to you. You can find Windows Defender in your control panel.

The following link is where you can download other spyware/adware removers of your choice.
    Spyware Removers - Reviews and free downloads at Download.com

Hope this info helps.

Rick
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2009, 02:02 AM
    I would also recommend Malwarebytes which you can get from here: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Reviews and free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware downloads at Download.com
    nik4all Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Apr 17, 2009, 02:17 AM

Hey
    Noo need to use nortan antivirus
    Its nt good
    Sometimes it doesn't protect you frm virus
    k
    If you want to use any anti virus then use avast antivirus
    Its very good and easy in usee
    N it also protect you frm every type of virus

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to install Norton antivirus for the second time. [ 1 Answers ]

It looks that I have a virus, I had norton before but never updated it. I just bought a new one and unistalled the old one before installing the new one; while doing this it was taking too long, after about 15 minutes I cancelled it and tried to install again, but it says: "another installer is...

Uninstalling preinstalled Norton antivirus [ 9 Answers ]

Norton antivirus came preistalled on my computer to use free for 60 days. I am wanting to use a different anti virus progam. The following are what is in my add/remove section. Norton internet security, live update notices, symantec tech support web controls and live update. Can someone tell me if...

Norton antivirus [ 2 Answers ]

Since I installed the upgrade on my 2006 norton internet secutiy, I have been getting these error messages about LuCallBackProxy module. Went to symantec knowledge base and nothing comes up. This is getting stupid

Unable to uninstall norton antivirus from add and remove [ 2 Answers ]

Dell XP pro virus infected PC, While installing Norton System Works PC went Blank and asked for a restart but installation didn't take place. Asking for a Fresh installation after uninstalling previous. Unable to uninstall after repeated Try i.e restart etc.

How to uninstall Norton Antivirus 2006 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everybody I need help in this issue please? And it started in my work email when I started receiving attachements zipped files including passwords and I tried to install the Norton Antivirus 2006. It crashed 3x during installation, creating Symantec errors and gives me this error that an old...

View more questions Search