Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crm4users Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2009, 11:25 PM
    Carrier vs. Day and Night
    Looking at putting a new gas furnace and a new A/C unit in place.

92% 80k BTU Carrier
    13 Seer slim A/C Carrier
    With installation at

At $8400

With Day and Night it's $500 less.

Is Carrier worth it or doesn't it matter what brand to go with?
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 06:09 AM

As long as you are getting the same warranty. That's about all that maters. Buying carrier is just paying extra for the name.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 15, 2009, 09:18 PM
    Carrier and Day and Night are basically made by the same parent company. The Carrier will probably have more do dads like low and high pressure safety controlers etc. I would go with the Carrier for the extra 500.00 if there is a difference in the control system. Without exact model numbers there is no way to know.
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 05:23 AM

Also rember the more controls, the more things that can go wrong with it.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 07:31 AM
    In one respect the more controls can possibly cause a limited amount of additional problems but for the most part the more controls mean much better protection for the equipment which no matter how you look at it is expensive to start with.

With over 50 years actual experience in this industry I could not begin to count the number of lost compressors due to the lack of a simple low or high pressure control. While the compressor has a built in electrical overload by the time it is put into use due to a fault condition it is to late and replacement costs for a compressor are very high indeed.

In my classes at the university I always stress to be sure the low and high pressure controls are included with the unit weather they are installed at the factory or added on during the install and the same goes for a real start capacitor and correct start relay if your new unit has a reciprocating style compreessor/piston style pump being used with the mandatory thermostatic expansion valve for energy and operating efficiency.

There are many opinions as to the proper methods and materials that need to be used for a quality HVAC system. I have always thought of the customer first when selecting equipment and adding necessary accessories for its proper operation and longivity. My home is a prime example of a quality install with the proper equipment. My main structure unit was made in 1978 and still runs like the day it was new with the same original compressor and condenser fan motor. My other two smaller units were made in 1985 and both of those also have the original compressors and condenser fan motors. All the units were installed to the factory specifications and time delays,hard start kits, and high and low pressure controls added. They also have a yearly check up and service.

The point I am trying to make is HVAC equipment can last a long time if properly installed and serviced so you might want to ask your contractor about these extra devices unless he plans on installing equipment that already has them or already planned to add them in the price you were quoted.

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.”
    Will Rogers
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf How to pick a Contractor.pdf (309.7 KB, 135 views)
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 10:14 AM

Also one would think there should be more than a $500 difference between a top brand name unit and a contractor style unit.
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 10:20 AM

Also are they selling you a heatpump or just a ac unit? $8400 seams high. Are you getting all new ductwork as well?
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 03:23 PM
    My question,, the two quotes,are they coming from the same contracter,, or different companies?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Day & Night by Carrier fan blower motor stuck on and heat doesn't work [ 22 Answers ]

:confused: Day & Night by Carrier central heating and a/c unit a/c unit model # 518CXX057000MACA date of mgf=1791 heating unit model# 394JAZ060080AAFA date of mgf=4592 Efficiency= natural draft? Type= forced air

My Carrier HP cycles at night [ 3 Answers ]

I have a new Carrier 25HBR 13 Seer 1.5 ton heat pump and in the heating mode when the outside air is below 35, the unit cycles like crazy. Keeps me up at night. Is this correct? I have tried two different thermostats with the same result.

Troubleshooting Carrier Day & Night spark ignition module? [ 5 Answers ]

How do l tell if my ignition module is faulty or is it the spark ignitor? The furnace is a Carrier Day & Night about 17 years old model number 394JAZ0480800AAFA.

Wiring schematic for carrier day and night [ 1 Answers ]

I need a wiring schematic for a carrier day and night Mod#394ga024050 Ser#1783A 00 386

View more questions Search