Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pinkytweak16 Posts: 56, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2009, 11:15 PM
    Does my friend have a eating disorder?
    My friend always worries about how much she eats and constintly watches her calorie intake. She goes in and out of depression she thinks bones are cool and eats a lot one day and hardly eats the next day. She told me she does not throw up or takes laxitives, but she has tried before. She is obsessed with what she eats she has lost a few pounds. When she sees people that are skinnyer then her she feels bad. I'm really worried about her does she have a eating disorder?
    Megan2345 Posts: 239, Reputation: 8

Apr 15, 2009, 07:20 AM

Sounds like something I went through. I was diagnosed with EDNOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified) What helped me was working on myself esteem issues.
    jandtspencer Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Apr 15, 2009, 08:36 AM

Sounds like if she isn't doing the traditional things to lose wieght(throwing up, laxatives, ect) then she definitely has some sort of problem. I agree with the first answer in that she probably does have serious self-esteem issues and should get help before it does turn into something bad.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 11:27 AM

Eating disorders are very serious conditions that cause both physical and emotional damage. While people with eating disorders usually try to hide the problem, there are warning signs you can watch for. Early treatment makes recovery easier, so talk to your friend regarding your concerns.

You can’t force a person somebody with an eating disorder to change their behaviors or beliefs, but you can make a difference by showing that you care, offering your support, and encouraging her to seek professional help. Eating disorders involve distorted, self-critical attitudes about weight, food, and body image. It’s these negative thoughts and feelings that fuel the damaging behaviors.

Your friends sounds like she has low self-esteem and maybe once she starts to love herself and the skin she's things will change. However, I must stressed that eating disorders is a very serious matter and I hope she recongize she needs help by seeing a professional.
    booboobear1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2009, 03:56 PM

Her atitude towards food is not normal.. however what ever you say to her is not going to make a difference, she is in denial... a very lonely place to be but also secure... she needs to understand that eating disorders are actually nothing to do with food, but emotional stress/grief that leads you to it... me, bullimic for the past 9yrs, in theraphy for the past 2, on 60mg of prosac daily... I function but would never wish this existence on anyone else!
    Shleecraw23 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Apr 27, 2009, 09:30 PM

It sounds like she has all the right ingredients for an eating disorder. She might not have a full blown disorder yet... but it could lead to that dangerous road ahead. Sit her down and talk to her in privacy. If she is still in denial that anything is wrong... tell her parents. True she might be mad at you for who knows how long, but it's always better to save a life and have that person hate you for it rather than sit on the sidelines and watch her slowly die.
    Lin22 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 01:52 PM

Her eating habits sound like she is on the road to destruction or perhaps is already there. I was diagnosed with both anorexia and bulimia when I was in HS... the mannerisms, worries and dieting sound very similar to my own when I was battling with a poor body image.
    You need to talk with your friend and let them know how much you care and are worried about them... the signs are definitely there and I would strongly encourage them to see their doctor or talk with a counselor and get help... If she continues on this path there can be terrible long term affects, that are definitely not worth a couple of pounds!
    Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eating disorder H-E-L-P [ 5 Answers ]

I am not comforatble with the way I look, I don't feel good about myself, I am a pretty girl in the face, and I have great hair, its just my body... I almost have an eating disorder, I need a lot of help. I take a large junours size and I'm very upset. I've tried perging twice... it hasn't worked....

Eating disorder? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - Ever since last September, I've decided to lose weight. I'm 13 years old, and have lost 27 pounds. People always say how skinny I am, but when I look in the mirror, I don't see me as skinny... I just see an ugly, disgusting, chubby me. I'm also super obsessed with food... I'm into...

Eating disorder? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm not sure if I have one or not, but I keep taking self tests online and they say I'm something like "high risk" not really sure what that means but anyway. I just had a baby and before I had her I weighed 135 and while I was pregnant I went up to 168 now I'm at 145 and I feel huge! I can't help...

Possible eating disorder? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I'm 16, female and I've always had self esteem issues to do with my body, as in I think I'm fat and I'm not although I can't really convince my subconcious that I'm not fat. I'm back at school now and have been for a week and everyday so far I have had, a coffee in the morning.. nothing at...

Eating Disorder [ 7 Answers ]

Im unsure of what to do anymore. Just over a year ago I lost a lot of weight, some people might have diagnosed me as anorexic. A lot of things happened, I will not go into detail. I put the weight back on. 6 months ago, due to this issue (and a few others), I lost basically all of my close...

View more questions Search