Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LanMan Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2009, 08:32 PM
    Deadbolt only secure enough?
    Is a front door with just a quality deadbolt secure enough? (i.e. the door knob does not lock, just the deadbolt.) Or is it important that the door knob also locks?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 08:57 PM

Personally I feel a good dead bolt works well enough. The added thing is make sure the deadbolt is key to key if there is glass in the door. Too many people install a key to thumb turn deadbolt. A robber could break the glass turn the thumb piece on the dead bolt and open both knob lock and dead bolt.

The dead bolt is the key hear. Now I'm waiting for a key to key dead bolt to be against building codes in time simply because if the key is not easily found , you won't be able to open the door in a fire.
    LanMan Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2009, 09:49 AM
    Thanks for the input. You are right about the double key deadbolt. In a previous house we had a door window and side lights, so we used a double key deadbolt. To deal with the "get out quickly in an emergency" issue, we kept a key on a hook and string near the door, but out of reach (and sight) if someone broke the window. The string ensured the key never left the area.

I just bought a house and want to rekey or replace the locks (for obvious reasons). Currently there are no deadbolts. So I am going to add those. But for the door into the garage, and then from the garage to the house I want to install a keyless deadbolt (Sunnect, Inc.). This would allow giving people temporary access codes when needed (e.g. to the neighbor's kid to feed the dog while we are away for the weekend) without fear of duplicate keys being made. Plus it would allow easier access into the house when carrying groceries for example. That benefit would be defeated if I had to also put a lock on the door knob. But I just want to be sure I'm not leaving the house vulnerable by doing such.

Any additional input will be appreciated.
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 12:40 PM

My gal and I remember when we couldn't find the key to the house. Where she used to live you keep the keys in all the vehicles.
    MsCanFix Posts: 62, Reputation: 3

Apr 15, 2009, 06:38 PM

I have this thing when I've moved into new places that just as important as the locks is getting an upgraded heavy duty deadbolt strike plate and using 3in screws to install it that way it's a bit harder to bust that door down if someone wanted to. Just a little thought.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2009, 07:02 PM

Key to key is illegal here for residential, but I have them.

Dad installed one of those funky non-standard things where three pins engage on the inside.

In either case, it would be difficult to get in.

One set of personal keys is in the front door and that door is locked at night with the keys in the door. I'd still have a tough time to get in.

There is a master lock keysafe on the house with keys for the house, so lock out won't happen. Also the 911 response people (I can lookup the terminology) have the combination at their disposal, if there is a 911 call.

We had one recently due to a PERS (Personal Emergency Response System) alarm and they gave us a number to call to add that information. Hopefully it will save having to replace a door.

There is a company for commercial buildings that provides a lock box usually near the entrance of the building with a key that 911 has. Forget how it works. I'd have to go to a place that has one and look up the brand. I know what it is when I see it. It's astecically pleasing and easy to find with a light.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 15, 2009, 07:12 PM

Also what does the dead bolt go into, is there a metal door frame, or does it go into the sold door frame and if so what type of wood. And heaven forbid does it only go into trim wood.

A dead bolt and the handle lock, both on a door that is merely into wood, esp a lot of the newer wood.
    It will bearly slow someone down that really wants into the house.

Also the best door, metal with three locks, if your window is still glass, you are only a brick away form someone in the house,
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 08:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    also what does the dead bolt go into, is there a metal door frame, or does it go into the sold door frame and if so what type of wood. and heaven forbid does it only go into trim wood.
    Most pre hungs doors that are shimmed have only the door jamb for the bolt to go into. If that wasn't padded out with lumber for a dead bolt then many time there isn't enough throw in depth to reach the jack studs.

Besides the pre hungs jambs are getting thinner and thinner
    I think if you have windows on the house that is usually the biggest brake in places.

I think the best security so far is a big barking dog or two in the house and yard.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2009, 05:08 AM

Alarm Systems work, Burglars hate Lights and Sirens.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 11:41 AM

Another thing you can do along with what Stratmando mentions is to install dummy security cameras if you just want to deter a burglar. I have a Swan security system with one real camera and 4 fake ones that can't be distinguished from the real ones. The fakes are about $10

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installation of deadbolt on a metal door [ 6 Answers ]

I have a metal building with a metal entrance door. It already has a door knob lock, however I would like to install a deadbolt. I know how to install a deadbolt on a wooden door, but never installed one on a metal door. The lock I purchased has the rectangle plate on the bolt so if you...

Secure web key [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am using linksys router, I am not able to secure my web key. Its prepaid connection were in ican check the daily usages day by day the usages get`s deducted. Also my friend was able to login using my connection. Is it possible to hide the ip address Don`t regret ans

Placed a DEADBOLT on LEASE / Roomates door [ 11 Answers ]

Hello , I need some advice so I don't get myself in trouble. I signed a 1 year lease with a co-worker and moved in together. Everything great but bigproblem! he decides to not pay his share of rent. So after 3 months of his I get fed up and take matters in my own hands when after I went ...

Commercial Deadbolt Fix [ 4 Answers ]

I made the mistake of hiring a real hack to install a commercial entry door. The frame was overtightened, so I now have to use 3 strike plates on the lower lock to get a tight fit. He also used a 2-3/4" hole saw to make the cut for the deadbolt instead of the 2-1/8" that was supposed to be used....

Installing new deadbolt and enlarging the mounting hole [ 5 Answers ]

I have purchased a new deadbolt lock for my front door, which requires me to drill a 2-1/8inch diameter hole in the door. There is already an existing smaller diameter hole for the old deadbolt. My question is: are there any tricks to enlarging the diameter of an existing hole? My hole saw uses a...

View more questions Search