Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladyrivera Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2009, 05:25 PM
    Check cashing
    My question is as follows:

A service was paid for by check, the person providing the service said he couldn't cash it because he didn't have an account. The check was stopped and we were told it would be returned. A Western Union Wire transfer of the same amount was issued and received by this individual who never returned the check and several weeks later cashed the check at a check cashing place and they honored it. What can we do? We never received the work that was completed but he has been paid 2x for this. Please help. Can we have him arrested and will we be responsible for paying back the check cashing place?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 14, 2009, 05:28 PM

If you have proof he was supposed to return the check in favor of the money order, report it to the police. But if the check was stopped then your bank shouldn't have paid it. So you shouldn't be out, the check cashing place should.

Apr 14, 2009, 05:37 PM
    The bank did not honor the check and is asking us to pay them. They should be asking the guy who cashed the check shouldn't they?

Apr 14, 2009, 05:43 PM
    If your bank did not honor the check why are they asking you to pay. And no the check cashing place has no recourse against you. They took the risk. They should be pressing charges against the guy who cashed it.

Apr 14, 2009, 05:50 PM

We received a letter from the check cashing service saying that we are to pay them a different amount than what the face value that they paid. And that we were responsible to make the check good. What kind of response should I give them?

Apr 14, 2009, 05:59 PM

Ignore the first letter. If they send a second letter respond by telling them you are not responsible for making them whole. They took the risk. If that doesn't stop them you may need to get an attorney involved.

Apr 14, 2009, 06:05 PM
    Thank you very much:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cashing a Check / Cheque [ 2 Answers ]

How long does it take to cash a check/cheque?

Cashing a bad check [ 2 Answers ]

A person that I work for give me 2 checks for services that I provide.I cashed those cheks in amscot a few days later I recive a leter that thoes checks were dishonerd by the bank and know the agency is charging me for that money what I can do?

Bankruptcy on more than 1 check cashing co. [ 3 Answers ]

Can I file bankruptcy on check cashing companies?

Cashing a bad check [ 6 Answers ]

I was given a check for a sweapstakes I won. I took the check to my local cashing agency who I always deal with. I cashed the check. A few days later the check cashing agency notified me that the check had bounced. Now the agency wants me to pay back the money to them. I already spent the...

Check Cashing [ 1 Answers ]

Can you cash a personal check against a business account or a certificate of deposit in the state of Virginia?

View more questions Search