Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jandtspencer Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Apr 14, 2009, 04:24 PM
    Iams dogfood company tortures animals - UNCONFIRMED!
    Just wanted to throw this out there for all you animal lovers. Last night I was researching dogfood and found on the peta website that the iams dogfood company tortures animals to test their dogfood! I never knew this about dogfood companies but you can bet your sweet that I will never, ever buy an iams product for as long as I live. If you doubt me go to the website and watch the video, it will truly break your heart. I cried and cried after I saw it. They keep dogs/cats locked up in cages, shoot them up with injections of stuff that make them pass out and drool, and even perform operations on them in the most inhumane way possible. And when an animal needs care for some ailment the vet puts it off until by the time the vet sees the animal they have to put it down. It will make you so mad you won't be able to think straight! I encourage any of you that really care about animals to give iams "the finger" by not purchasing their products. We would all be saving animals lives! Oh, and if any of you actually go to the website write back and tell me what you think!

Admin Note~:~ This is COMPLETELY Unconfirmed and as such hearsay. Without verifiable sources and proof this is simply yet another, rather sick, piece of Urban Myth.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 14, 2009, 04:34 PM

Sorry, your post doesn't do anything for me at all. I am sure PETA would absolutely do anything on their website. How do you know that is actually IAMS Operations? Have you ever heard of stating ? You post post some hard factually evidence that IAMS does this type of cruelty and then come back on here and talk about it.

You have to prove and prove and prove before you make a statement like this and something from PETA is not proof.

As a new member you are getting off to a bad start.

Tick

Apr 14, 2009, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Sorry, your post doesnt do anything for me at all. I am sure PETA would absolutely do anything on their website. How do you know that is actually IAMS Operations? Have you ever heard of stating ? You post post some hard factually evidence that IAMS does this type of cruelty and then come back on here and talk about it.

You have to prove and prove and prove before you make a statement like this and something from PETA is not proof.

As a new member you are getting off to a bad start.

tick
    Whatever, just reporting what I had seen on the website. Don't get your panties in a wad.
    MsCanFix Posts: 62, Reputation: 3

Apr 14, 2009, 07:02 PM
    Well, how about resolving this topic this way... Iams whether its Eukanuba or Science Diet or the other sub brands that Iams makes does not have the highest quality of standards for their ingredients. Now since Iams gets the majority of their funding through veterinarians it behooves the Vets to push Iams products especially their prescription formulas. Be your own savvy shopper and read, read, read ingredients in the food. Corn, by-products would be your first sign that the company's standards are far from high.

Sadly, cruelty to animals exists and it would be nieve and foolish to try to convince myself that animals are not used as experiments and for cruel testing. It's what is great about living in America... FREEDOM OF SPEECH! And girl if you feel and believe what you do about Iams then go with that and stand up for what you believe in and don't be hindered by anyone else. I have my personal and very strong feelings against Iams also. To say the poster started wrong is way off base, poster is entitled to their feelling such as yours.

Open mindedness brings understanding and awareness.
    Expert

Apr 14, 2009, 11:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jandtspencer View Post
    whatever, just reporting what i had seen on the website. don't get your panties in a wad.
    Yes, 'I did get my panties in a wad'. As you so aptly put it. Because you can't make a statement without putting proof behind it. I have used IAMS products for years. I know there is animal cruelty. Not even a fraction of it is reported. PETA will do and say anything to get their point across, as far as lobbying for chicken cruelty.

Tick
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2009, 01:21 AM

I really wish I oculd remember what company it was but years ago I read an article about an american dog food company that used road kill in their pet food, inspectors also found a dead baby circus elephant in one of the boilers...

It's important to find a company that you trust which is why I use a local company and have actually been to their factory.

You haven't mentioned what website this information is actually on... is it a certified website or one that someone has just manufactured?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 15, 2009, 01:30 AM
    Without a reference to the source this is simple hearsay and not even that good.
    I ask the OP to post the sources of this RUMOUR otherwise I will be removing this thread.
    MsCanFix Posts: 62, Reputation: 3

Apr 15, 2009, 02:14 AM
    IAMS has for a very long time been under fire. Not that I'm going to get in the middle but just being the devil's advocate for a second... Isn't it just human nature to read or hear about something and especially if your going through a similar situation as to what was read or heard about and get all uptight about it. Sometimes it's just a state of shock and one feels they want their voice heard. One may think they have confirmed evidence and I would say where is the UNCONFIRMED evidence! Diplomatic situations is what makes the world go round.

Knowledge is power and with power comes the ability to strive for open-mindedness and with that comes awareness and knowledge. Knowledge never leads you astray but returns you back full circle.
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2009, 03:15 AM

It's a very thin line when there is no proof.
    One word... slander
    Expert

Apr 15, 2009, 04:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsCanFix View Post
    IAMS has for a very long time been under fire. Not that I'm gonna get in the middle but just being the devil's advocate for a second.... Isn't it just human nature to read or hear about something and especially if your going through a similar situation as to what was read or heard about and get all uptight about it. Sometimes it's just a state of shock and one feels they want their voice heard. One may think they have confirmed evidence and I would say where is the UNCONFIRMED evidence!! Diplomatic situations is what makes the world go round.

Knowledge is power and with power comes the ability to strive for open-mindedness and with that comes awareness and knowledge. Knowledge never leads you astray but returns you back full circle.
    I live in Canada and pretty well newsworthy and on top of issues. I have never heard that IAMS is 'under fire'. Is this in the States ? I have certainly never heard of this in Canada. As long as I have been here, haven't heard it here either and for the most part are good at carrying on the good fight for these kind of problems.

Yes, what gets my goat is out and out slander.

Its ludricous who PETA hit, why don't they put their energy into puppy mills. Now that is an issue close to our our hearts here in AMHD. I am sure shaz will agree to that !

Tick

Apr 15, 2009, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I live in Canada and pretty well newsworthy and on top of issues. I have never heard that IAMS is 'under fire'. is this in the States ? I have certainly never heard of this in Canada. As long as I have been here, havent heard it here either and for the most part are good at carrying on the good fight for these kind of problems.

Yes, what gets my goat is out and out slander.

Its ludricous who PETA hit, why dont they put their energy into puppy mills. Now that is an issue close to our our hearts here in AMHD. I am sure shaz will agree to that !

tick
    Okay, here's how you can find the info. Go to your Google bar and type in peta iams investigation, search it and the first link listed is peta//peta calls for cruelty investigation of iams and menu foods. Click on that and it will take you to the official peta website. There you can find pics and video of the 9 month investigation against iams and menu foods. I am not trying to form a conspiracy or something against iams or any dogfood company for that matter but if it was not true do you think peta could even put that on their website and I'm sure it's credible since they are an actual organization - the website I mean. You people are jumping all over me for no reason. I was just relaying some scary info I stumbled across and if it is true, then yes people all over the world should be informed so as not to pay these companies to torture innocent animals. I am no more in the wrong than peta is for posting the info. Go check it out. And yes, this is in the U.S. puppy mills are horrible yes and everyone knows it. I just wasn't sure if people knew about animal testing with dog/cat food because I was totally unaware and glad to have my eyes opened so that I can make more informed choices from now on. So please, quit accusing me of "slander". It's on the peta website for gods sake, I didn't just make it up!!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 15, 2009, 06:32 AM
    If you'd actually read the piece yourself you would have learnt that this is SERIOUSLY OLD NEWS:

For nearly 10 months in 2002 and early 2003, a PETA investigator went undercover at an Iams contract testing laboratory and discovered a dark and sordid secret beneath the wholesome image of the dog- and cat-food manufacturer
    Please before you attempt sensationalism you check your sources!
    Even the letters are dated 2007, just over TWO YEARS ago!
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2009, 06:41 AM

I really dislike PETA, yes they do some good things but they neglect more importnant issues to deal with ones that will give them the biggest publicity.

It says that they recalled 60 million cans of dog food because they were contaminated. If they didn't care they would have just left them on the shelves.
    They also say:apparently feeding the tainted food to cats and dogs in order to test it.
    Countless animal companions may have been at risk of getting sick, and many may have died.

PETA really know how to make a story sound shocking without it actually being bad.

I also watched their video and while it was horrible and whoever treated the animals in such a way should be castrated wit ha rusty spoon there was no proof that it was at any Proctor Gamble, Iams or Eukanuba factory or testing facility.

Apr 15, 2009, 06:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    If you'd actually read the piece your self you would of learnt that this is SERIOUSLY OLD NEWS:

Please before you attempt sensationalism you check your sources !!
    Even the letters are dated 2007, just over TWO YEARS ago!
    I never said it was new to anyone, I said it was new to ME! That I'd never known about it before. I was being accused of slander and misinformation and that's what I was trying to clear up. Jeez, get off my back already and actually read what I write before you remark!
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2009, 06:47 AM
    Slander was mentioned because you did not provide all the information, it would have been helpful to you if the posted the website in your original post :)

Apr 15, 2009, 06:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I really dislike PETA, yes they do some good things but they neglect more importnant issues to deal with ones that will give them the biggest publicity.

It says that they recalled 60 million cans of dog food because they were contaminated. If they didn't care they would have just left them on the shelves.
    They also say:apparently feeding the tainted food to cats and dogs in order to test it.
    countless animal companions may have been at risk of getting sick, and many may have died.

PETA really know how to make a story sound shocking without it actually being bad.

I also watched their video and while it was horrible and whoever treated the animals in such a way should be castrated wit ha rusty spoon there was no proof that it was at any Proctor Gamble, Iams or Eukanuba factory or testing facility.
    True. It just shocked me that's all. Can't stand to see a defensless animal treated badly. I guess I am pretty blind to all the bad in the world. I don't know much about peta and I am no animal rights activist by any means - except with my own of course. Just stumbled across that info when researching the best food for my new pup. And caused a big stink bringing it up I guess. There's a lot of uptight people out there.
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2009, 06:48 AM

This is the site by the way...
    PETA // PETA calls for cruelty investigation of Iams and Menu Foods - 2

Apr 15, 2009, 06:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Slander was mentioned because you did not provide all the information, it would have been helpful to you if the posted the website in your original post :)
    Just thought people knew how to use Google like I do. Or do you have to list the website in your post to cover yourself? I'm confused and don't want to be attacked again if I learn something else "new to me" on the internet!
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2009, 06:50 AM
    true. it just shocked me that's all. can't stand to see a defensless animal treated badly. i guess i am pretty blind to all the bad in the world. i don't know much about peta and i am no animal rights activist by any means - except with my own of course. just stumbled across that info when researching the best food for my new pup. and caused a big stink bringing it up i guess. there's a lot of uptight people out there.
    You only caused a 'big stink' by not posting the website you found the information on so we had to assume it was just written by a non-official source.
    Now that we know and can view the website people can make their own opinions of it...
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2009, 06:54 AM
    just thought people knew how to use google like i do. or do you have to list the website in your post to cover yourself? i'm confused and don't want to be attacked again if i learn something else "new to me" on the internet!
    I had no idea how you came across the article hence why I didn't Google it as, to be honest... you could have written it yourself or found it on some obscure page, there are some dodgy people out there.

I appologise if it seemed like I fired up at you, I'm a nice person... honest lol :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog won't eat dogfood [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Beagle Dachshund mix and we adopted him a couple of months ago, He seemed to be doing great but he would not eat regular dog food. I then started mixing Beniful and mightydog canned food together and he loved it but now its like he is sick of that and won't eat again. I have been mixing...

If ones wife mentally tortures her husband & her in-laws what & how one should move [ 2 Answers ]

If ones wife mentally tortures her husband & her in-laws and one is keeping quite for the sake of child & social implications. Now how one should move??

Hills Scientific Plan Sensitive Skin dogfood [ 13 Answers ]

My dog, an English Bulldog, suffers from excessive hair loss. I've got her on the Hills Scientific Plan Sensitive Skin dogfood which does not seem to help. What alternative dogfood can I look at?

Company introduction letter for audio/home theatre solution company [ 1 Answers ]

I want to introduce myself/company to one of the top interior designer. I am an individual dealing in audio / home theatre solutions. I want to an introduction letter for my company.

Diamond dogfood recall WARNING! [ 4 Answers ]

PERMISSION TO CROSSPOST FAR AND WIDE Subject: DIAMOND Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:23:45 EST You may think the Diamond food scare is over, or that only a limited amount of product is involved. Not so. On Monday, March 6 - after 3 feedings of Diamond's Premium Edge Chicken, Rice and Vegetables...

View more questions Search