Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tcmsa Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2009, 04:22 PM
    G 4 visa, do I have to declare tax
    Hi, I am a non resident alien working for an international organization under a G 4 visa.
    I only receive income from my employer (the international organization). Do I have to file a tax declaration?

Thank you,
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2009, 06:48 PM

Your income is exempt from federal income tax. Still you must file nonresident tax return and Form 8843. By claiming treaty exemption, your taxable income will be nil.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents

Apr 14, 2009, 07:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    Your income is exempt from federal income tax. Still you must file nonresident tax return and Form 8843. By claiming treaty exemption, your taxable income will be nil.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents
    Thank you,

Now, before I got the G 4 visa I had an A-2 Visa for a number of years, as I previously worked at my country's Consulate. I did not have any other income. Do I also have to file a form for those years? Are there any fines or penalties for not having filed in previous years?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2009, 10:53 PM

I am not sure, but it appears that you are required to file during A-2 as nonresident.

The interest and penalty is based on tax due. So if there was no tax due you will not have interest or penalty except may be for non filing. But it is safe to file as IRS may send you a letter even after couple of years, and then it will be more difficult.

Apr 30, 2009, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tcmsa View Post
    Thank you,

Now, before I got the G 4 visa I had an A-2 Visa for a number of years, as I previously worked at my country's Consulate. I did not have any other income. Do I also have to file a form for those years? Are there any fines or penalties for not having filed in previous years?
    What are the forms that I have to use to file the Non resident tax return?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 30, 2009, 09:30 AM
    If you need to file, the form to file is 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.

Form 8843 is NOT required for a G visa holder.

Apr 30, 2009, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    If you need to file, the form to file is 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.

Form 8843 is NOT required for a G visa holder.
    Thank you

Someone told me that I might to file form 8233. There is a lot of misinformation when it comes to these special situations.

Appreciate your help
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 30, 2009, 10:16 AM
    You only file Form 8233 if your situation requires a detailed explanation of the treaty position you are taking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I declare Bankruptcy now? [ 1 Answers ]

you have to supply them your complete information, normally all income for so long, copies of bank account records for a certain time frame, list of everything you own and its value, so yes, the trustee will know since you will tell him.

I want to declare bankruptcy. [ 1 Answers ]

Will it erase all my debts or just some of them? I live in Ny state so can someone please just give me some info? Thanks!

Cannot declare Bankruptcy - what now? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I have about $170k in debts - we cannot afford all the payments (credit cards, auto loans, student loans, overdue taxes). We contacted a bankruptcy attorney who researched our financials and told us that based on the new regulations we are not candidates for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. My...

Declare bankruptcy? [ 2 Answers ]

Can you declare bankruptcy when you owe 20 000 and if not what do they do,how much do they make you pay per month,can you still put money aside in a bank and what do they take from you.:confused:

View more questions Search