Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Paige2933 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2009, 01:14 PM
    Co. Mtg Lunch-catered-40+ppl - budget slashed-ideas?
    We are a small company in Niles, Illinois. Each month we host a company meeting in our lunch room and serve our 40+ employees a buffet lunch. It's nothing fancy - sandwiches, salad, sometimes vegetables and/or dessert. But it's getting more difficult to find good food at prices that we can afford.

Now the challenge has become keener. We are limited to a maximum of $400 per luncheon, which has to cover everything - food, delivery, gratiuty and tax.

We're open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for reading this post and your help.

All the best,
    Paige
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 01:21 PM
    You do not say what your budget used to be so I do not know how much it has been slashed. That said... the economy is difficult for everyone. Contact whomever you purchased the food from in the past and explain your situation to them. Ask them what they can do for you in your new budget and negotiate from there. If their business has fallen off, they might be happy to do the job at a discounted rate.

Also, if several of you at the office agree to pick up the food and clean up after the event that can save you a good amount of money on delivery and gratuity charges.
    just esther Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 11:36 AM

Ck out the $5 pizza places or deli's that will make sandwiches (subway?) or look for a small or just beginning catering company... also most grocery stores can do a lot for a little
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

May 2, 2009, 09:05 PM

Bbq is a easy and inexpensive way to cater. Most bbq places will deliver with utensils and drinks. Other ideas are cooking hamburgers and hotdogs for your employees. Limit your beverages to lemonade, water and tea. Soda and beer can eat up a budget. Keep desserts simple and inexpensivemsuch as cookies or cake. If there is a cook among you, spaghetti, salad and bread can be prepared for less than $5 per person leaving you budget money to add to the next week.
    solamente Posts: 15, Reputation: 4

May 17, 2009, 06:47 AM

If you are willing to do some shopping yourself, you can save some cash. Get a corporate membership to a Sam's Club and you can purchase your beverages in large quantities, saving money. They have fantastic prepared boxed salads, in huge containers that are restaurant quality. You can order sheet cakes for dessert there as well as purchase fresh fruit, vegetables, and snacks like crackers, dips, and chips.

Check with local grocery stores for their catering menus, they tend to be cheaper and tastier then larger chains. BBQ, Italian and Chinese foods tend feed a lot of people for cheap, so give them a try. Pizza places like Domino's give great rates for large orders and only require a week's notice for your order. Good luck to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smashed windows,slashed tires [ 6 Answers ]

Check this out me and my boyfriend have been going to court with 2 guys that smashed my car windows and sliced my tires just because they got evicted from there apartment above us... its a long story but to make it short my boyfriend was the one that filed the complaint and we have been to court...

Elegant low budget wedding décor ideas? [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone have any low budget, yet elegant decorating ideas for a church wedding? I have a friend who has to say the least been through tremendous hardships this past year. She will be getting married in a month, and her budget is low. I want to help her to make her day as memorable and elegant...

Taking a lunch [ 3 Answers ]

I worked for a company where we ate our lunch at our desks while working so we only ended up working an eight hour day. This was a plus and everyone had no problem with it. I recently began working for a different company and they are almost insisting on a 30 minute lunch period so you have to be...

View more questions Search