Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessica0542 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2009, 12:53 PM
    Menstrual cycle
    I haven't had a normal period in a year and a half what can I do to get it back?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 01:11 PM

Can depend on the reason for it. Have you seen your doctor about it? Has there been any testing done to determine a possible cause? Have you had no period for that length of time or has it just been irregular? Sometimes your doctor may prescribe something like Provera to try to induce a regular cycle.

Apr 14, 2009, 02:00 PM
    Well I've gone to my doctor and the said its just because of weight gain and said no test needed to be done.but its very hard for me to lose weight so I'm trying to find another way to regain my period because I have not had it this whole time.about a few months ago I started to have very little bleeding not even enough to get on a pantyliner and I will have that for every other day but for about 2wks
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 02:58 PM

You may want to consider seeing another doctor. Not having a period for a year and a half, or having only some slight spotting needs to be looked into. Especially if you had regular periods prior to this.

Certainly weight can play a role in a woman's cycle... either too much weight or too little... and obviously working on losing some if you need to will only be a benefit, but to put it all on just that, without actually ruling out any other possible cause, is a disservice. Losing some weight may or may not make a difference.

Apr 14, 2009, 11:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    You may want to consider seeing another doctor. Not having a period for a year and a half, or having only some slight spotting needs to be looked into. Especially if you had regular periods prior to this.

Certainly weight can play a role in a woman's cycle....either too much weight or too little....and obviously working on loosing some if you need to will only be a benefit, but to put it all on just that, without actually ruling out any other possible cause, is a disservice. Loosing some weight may or may not make a difference.
    I started thinking about that when recently I started having very light bleeding but not enough to go on a pantyliner.and so I've been looking into finding a better doctor.I have an appt.on the 24th.and I do believe that its my weight because I go up and down.like ill lose weight and it will come right back and so that's why I'm trying to find another alternative.
    They offered birthcontrol,but I've heard that only makes it worst.do you know anything about that?
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2009, 02:26 AM

For some women, using birth control pills can help regulate cycles. Provera is sometimes used to help induce periods.

Do what you can with the weight, it certainly won't hurt to try and maintain a good weight for yourself. Avoid the quick fix diets as they may help you lose the weight, but you won't be able to maintain if you go back to your regular eating. You will need to make some tough choices with what and how much you eat and getting some regular exercise so that you can keep the weight off. But you are wise to check with another doctor as well. They can check to be sure there is no underlying health situation that may be effecting your weight fluctuations as well as possibly your cycles.
    jaj_21779 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2009, 06:37 AM

I would suggest finding a good obgyn, and talking with them, it is a very good possibility they will suggest Provera or another similar drug, this can help to kickstart your cycle, but before they will perscribe it they will run some tests and possibly do a intravagional utrasound to check things out to make sure there is not another reason..
    pixiegurl Posts: 54, Reputation: 4

Apr 15, 2009, 06:41 AM

This happened to me. I went to a doctor who referred me to a gyno and they started me on the pill because they couldn't see anything physically wrong with me. Since I have been on the pill I have been having a regular cycle and they are nearly ready to take me off the pill gradually. You should definitely see a doctor because this could be a seriously problem. They will probably do a few blood tests or an ultra sound and then go from there. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Menstrual cycle [ 2 Answers ]

I am a 31 year old female and I have had my tubes tied 6 years ago. This is the first time it has happened but I am currently on my period and I am experiencing heavy blleding and huge blood clots. I have gone through 3 super tampons in just about 2 hours today which is very abnormal for me and I...

Menstrual cycle [ 2 Answers ]

After having a baby... how long will you get your period again

Menstrual cycle [ 1 Answers ]

I had a caesarean section on may 9th, I saw my period on the 12 of June then again about the second week in July, I have not seen my period for August. I took pregnancy tests and all came back negative, what could be wrong

Menstrual cycle [ 1 Answers ]

My Granddaughter lives with me and is 9 years old. She has been having very sore breasts with slight swelling. The only other indicator, is genital hair growth. Is this a sign of her menstrual cycle beginning? Thank You Sandie

Menstrual Cycle [ 1 Answers ]

I am 28 years old. I have had my period for 16 days straight and it has been light some days and heavy. Now I am on my 16th day and my body is in pain. I am not pregnant, I am 100 % sure. What can I do to make this stop, I honestly don't know what to do. Please any advice.

View more questions Search