Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tannbray Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2009, 11:44 AM
    My dog ate a pork bone
    My fox terrier ate a pork bone last night and this morning at 6 am he went out to potty and was having trouble pooping. I let him in and out a few times finally when he did go it was in the house and when I cleaned it up I noticed it was hard and had bone fragments in it. Then he started to throw up and threw up about a 1" piece of bone. He kept trying again to poop and couldn't. I got a pair of rubber gloves and lubricant to see if I could help and when I did I could feel the hard poop with bone fragments in the anus. I read online that you can give them an enema to help them poop. So I did this. Its now 2:39 pm and he did have several good bowel movements but is bleeding when he poops. Could this be the irritation from combination of enema and bone or maybe a be some sort of tear in the intestine? He is like a child to me and I always try home measures before rushing them off for medical attention but this is worring me and I just don't know what to do. Don't want to waste time... but don't want to spend lots of money if I can treat at home.
    jandtspencer Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Apr 14, 2009, 12:03 PM
    I am a nurse and therefore have plenty of experience with enemas and helping someone "go" when they can't. It is perfectly normal to notice bleeding after that much stimulation around the anus. Between the enema and your help and the actual act of going on your dog's part the lining has probably been torn. Check his stool the next time he goes and make sure there's no blood IN thhe stool. If not I would not worry, BUT I was also taught in nursing school that you have to be careful when using manual stimulation around the anus because of the vagal nerve and overstimulation can lead to heart attack - don't know if it's the same for dogs. Hope this helps.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 12:21 PM

I really don't agree with your method of treatment, you are not a vet and could have actually done more damage to the dog.
    There could still be fragments of bone inside the dog which can splinter and may have perforated his bowel or caused injury to his internals. Please take him to a vet asap.
    tannbray Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2009, 02:30 PM
    I also am a nurse and was trying to use some helpful experience.. with enemas... lol. Not a laughing matter but at least it pays to have a little medical knowledge. Milo so far is doing OK, he has attempted to eat some soft food and he is drinking water and keeping it down. He has had no more BMs and no blood. That's wonderful. I am going to take him to the Vet if he is not perking up by morning. Money has been very tight and vets are so expensive here in KY compared to OK. It unreal!! This is not the first time he has chewed something that got stuck. I have to watch him out side. If the neighborhood kids accidentally loose a toy or something over the fence he is like a goat. He chews and eats it! But this is the worst I have delt with. It is a little more scarier now that he's 7. He has already been bit by a rattler, has seizures and arthritis.
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2009, 01:27 AM

Good to hear he no longer has any bleeding. I've had a dog eat cooked chicken bones before and not had a problem, but for those 24 hours before she went to the toilet I was fretting something shocking.
    Keep us posted on how he is doing :)
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 01:30 AM

He may be bleeding from you inserting your finger up his rectum.Dogs generally take care of these issues on their own ,natures way.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 08:13 AM

I thought I should just let you know (for the safety and health of your dog, and anyone else who might read this) that most dogs are actually allergic to pork...

My vets my source:)
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2009, 03:47 AM

Utter rubbish... there are many products on the market that are made from pork and I REGULARLY feed my dogs pigs ears and so do 90% of the people who attend dog shows.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 18, 2009, 04:03 AM
    I've had dogs for 50 years and fed them dog food with pork in it most of that time. I've never had one with an allergy to pork... chives, yes. Pork, no, even one allergic to garlic, but never pork.

As for bones, keep plenty of water out. If he's OK after 24 hours, he's probably OK.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2009, 04:44 PM

Well that's just what the vet told me.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2009, 06:28 PM

I've given all my dogs pig ears for the last 20 years and the only reason I had to stop was because they kept burying them in the most unusual places to save for later. Like in shoes, under bed pillows, etc. strange places I would find a couple of weeks later. I got tired of chasing them around to see where they would bury them. I might start again though, I need some entertainment.
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2009, 01:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    I've given all my dogs pig ears for the last 20 years and the only reason I had to stop was because they kept burying them in the most unusual places to save for later. Like in shoes, under bed pillows, etc. strange places I would find a couple of weeks later. I got tired of chasing them around to see where they would bury them. I might start again though, I need some entertainment.

Same here Dahlia! My little girl either crunches hers down in 5 minutes flat or she find some rather unusual hiding places for them!

Now that I have my boy here as well I can only give them the ears supervised so they won't fight over them.
    clarice41 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2010, 02:15 PM
    I should have thought to check before doing this, but I gave my dog a couple of pork rib bones last night (with meat on them). I was planning to let him chew off the meat then take the bones away from him. But I was distracted by something, and he seems to have eaten the entire ribs. He was fine, though. Pooped normal poop. Didn't act sick. No retching or discomfort. Not that it proves anything of course (and I'll certainly be more careful next time). On a somewhat related note, my dog is actually allergic to most commercial dog foods -- I've tried many brands and he often suffers from bouts of vomiting -- but has never had a problem with human food (fresh food, not processed, prepared without all the salt and additives that we consumer). I feed him homemade meals typically, although I'm guilty of giving him some scraps from time to time. He's a 25 pound basenji mix.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 26, 2010, 03:42 PM

Hi Clarice, thanks for the post, but check the dates, as this one is over a year old. You can always start your own thread if you have any questions.

Thanks! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog swallowed a pork rib bone, what should I do [ 6 Answers ]

My yellow lab, 95 lbs, swallowed a pork rib bone - she has swallowed a small bone in the past and her stomach acids took care of it cause nothing bad happened. Its about 4 inches long and 1/2 an inch wide. What should I do> Feed her bread?

BBQ Pork Rib Rub [ 6 Answers ]

What are the basic ingredients and amounts for a good dry rub?

My dog ate a pork bone [ 2 Answers ]

My dog ate a cooked pork bone tonight. My dad gave it to her thinking that it was OK because we have given her beef bones and she does good with those. I am worried because I heard that they split and can do a lot of damage. I don't know what to do. She is a lab/beagle mix and about 50lbs. Do I...

Pork- is it a sin to eat it? [ 52 Answers ]

Is it true it is a sin to eat pork?

Pork Roast [ 2 Answers ]

I am making Pancetta Wrapped Pork tenderloin Roast, my question is the roast covered when in the oven? It just says place in oven at 400 degrees and roast 1 hour or until the therometer reads 145 degrees.

View more questions Search