Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Apr 16, 2009, 08:40 AM

Contribution and Benefit Base

"After 1993, there has been no limitation on HI-taxable earnings. Tax rates under the HI program are 1.45 percent for employees and employers, each, and 2.90 percent for self-employed persons."

Tax rate is twice for self-employed?!

-----------------------------------------------

This is the upper limit income to which social security taxes [ oasdi ] are paid.

2007 97,500
    2008 102,000
    2009 106,800

Note that there is a 6.2% payroll taxes from dollar one. This is regressive.

2007 and 2008 tax brackets -- MSN Money

Now this is progressive.

The more income you earn, the more you pay in terms of absolute dollar amount and percentage of income.

-------------------------------------------------

Taxes are bad and soaking the rich isn't cool. Besides, taxes are (somehow) unfair... I got it. That's the Republican position...
    Ex

The information is there to objectively prove that the current tax system IS UNFAIR.

Soaking those that work hard to earn more money - that is unfair.

G&P
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2009, 08:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox View Post
    Soaking those that work hard to earn more money - that is unfair.
    Hello in:

I don't disagree. The only tax structure that would be FAIR is a flat tax - the same rate for everybody - but that wouldn't be fair, either.

Or how about eliminating the income tax and instituting a national sales tax? Nahhh, that wouldn't be fair.

How would YOU tax the people fairly?

excon

PS> Oh, and I think dissent is great... I just couldn't tell what you were dissenting against.
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Apr 16, 2009, 10:30 AM

Ex is right about one thing. I WILL spend my Social Security, all whopping $1200 per month of it! I spent about 45 years putting into the system. I COULD have put something back at INTEREST except some Dem liberal set it up so I had no choice.

Another illustration about taxes. You have the job of equalizing the deep and shallow ends of a swimming pool. You take a 5 gal bulcket and move the water from the deep end and put it in the shallow end. On the way, you pour half of it on the ground. That goes to Washington.

Something else is steaming me. The attitude on the part of the left in this country that any who dare disagree with them are ignorant and dangerous people, and their opinions are not worthy of being considered is INSUFFERABLE ARROGANCE!

When Obama talked about American arrogance, he must have been thinking of himself!

Apr 16, 2009, 04:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello in:

I don't disagree. The only tax structure that would be FAIR is a flat tax - the same rate for everybody - but that wouldn't be fair, either.

Or how about eliminating the income tax and instituting a national sales tax?? Nahhh, that wouldn't be fair.

How would YOU tax the people fairly?

excon

PS> Oh, and I think dissent is great... I just couldn't tell what you were dissenting against.
    Glad you asked: :)
    Americans For Fair Taxation: Americans For Fair Taxation

As to dissent : I was working yesterday and had family activities, so I could not attend the closest "tea party" 80 miles away, but the dissent is over increasing government spending, increasing taxes, and increasing government power.

With

Fed's Beige Book: Economic weakness slowing, maybe bottoming - Apr. 15, 2009

the economy slowing to near bottom, how can spending trillions more help?
    where do those trillions come from? Taxpayors? Will the Chinese continue to buy up US debt? What will the value of the dollar be when the Fed just prints more out of nothing? Inflation hurts the poorest the most.

In fact,

Fed's Beige Book: Economic weakness slowing, maybe bottoming - Apr. 15, 2009

So why the need for government deficit spending of an unprecedented amount [ porkulus ]?

G&P
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2009, 04:36 PM

Hello in:

I read it. Seems to me that a "progressive national retail sales tax", soaks the rich too.

That's what the word "progressive" means. It gets higher the more you spend.

excon

Apr 16, 2009, 04:47 PM

That is right.

The truly rich, those that live off trusts or investment income, have the means to pay accountants to shelter their money from taxes.

The rich tend to buy very expensive things this is where they are taxed. They can't shelter money if they spend it. And we can't be taxed exorbitantly if we don't spend exorbitantly.

It rewards saving. Under the current the "income" you make from the bank saving accounts gets taxed.

The "prebates" means the government gives ALL enough to at least to eat.

G&P

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1120s - explained [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I need help understanding 1120s. I am trying to understand the state of a business and have past three years 1120s. I understand its no small task, but your advice will greatly appreciated K

Nascar explained [ 9 Answers ]

Here's some insight into how they train to race in Nascar: NASCAR Coach Reveals Winning Strategy: 'Drive Fast' | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

May I have my tests explained to me? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello again, it seems that whenever I check in on a monthly basis to my beloved probation office, that I always get some office clerk that cannot answer my questions. Would it be too much to ask to speak with a knowledgeable officer. And can they refuse my request to have my pee tests explained to...

Mortgage explained [ 3 Answers ]

How does a mortgage work exactly? Adriaan

I need info in meta explained [ 3 Answers ]

<meta name="generator" content=Adobe GoLive 5"> Can someone explain what the information in the above meta code means? I need to build a website similar to the one where I copied this from and I wondered if this code would be relevant to what I need to do. When I typed it into...

View more questions Search