Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    complexed Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2009, 10:34 AM
    Bank accounts and child support
    Say I wanted to open up a bank account but I owe money for child support is it possible for them to dip into my account without consent
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 10:45 AM

If they get a Judgment or Order against you, yes. Bank accounts are not protected assets when it comes to child support.

You have money to open a bank account but no money for child support?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 10:54 AM

Yes, they can get a judgment against you and freeze the account. They can also suspend your license, place a lien against your personal property, put you in jail, etc.

I think the bigger issue is that you're not paying the ordered support; what's your reason for that?
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Apr 14, 2009, 10:56 AM

Yes. They can put a lien on your bank account as a remedy for enforcement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can child support place a lien on joint bank accounts [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a child support order that is current and being paid weekly through my job. The payments are made on time. I had a stint of unemployment that lasted approximately two months. I did not have enough weeks of employment to qualify for compensation,so I really hit the job market to find...

Child Support Lien on Bank Accounts [ 8 Answers ]

My husband just received a notice in the mail that the attorney general is putting a lien through a bank that he used to have a bank account with. My question is that, we had heard about this happening about 3 months ago, so we canceled all the accounts that we had together and just put them all in...

Bank holds and child support [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone... I hope you can help me with my question. A credit card company placed a "hold" on my checking account on Friday. When I met with the banker he told me that the hold was placed on July 2 and is up on the 30th. My debit card is useless. However, I did make a payment for my phone...

Bank account garishment for child support [ 4 Answers ]

Can they take every penny out of your account and put you in a negative. Thank you This is in ohio:eek:

Bank account garishment for child support [ 1 Answers ]

Can they take every penny out of your account and put you in a negative. Thank you This is in Ohio

View more questions Search