Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oilstain Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2009, 10:31 AM
    11HP Briggs and Stratton, gas blowing out the carb!
    I've got a Briggs and Stratton 11 HP L head (horizontal) on a mower I'm trying to fix.

When I check the valve clearance at 1/4" past TDC I have the correct clearance .007 (aluminum block), however, during the ENTIRE compression stroke, the intake valve is open a few hundreths and it's blowing the fuel out of the carb. How could this possibly work? How could the engine ever NOT blow its combustion mixture out of the carb?

I've heard of a easy-start system that releases the compression when rpms are low (during crank) but I'm not sure if this engine has that. I pulled it off the mower and opened up the bottom end, and I don't see any mechanism in there that would do any such thing. Also, I thought those mechanisms worked on the exhaust valve. Anyway, on the cam, I only see the two regular lobes.

I've checked to make sure the flywheel key is in good shape, and the two dots on the cam are lined up the way they should be.

HELP, I don't know where to go from here!

Model 252707 Type 0621-05 Code 91081611.
    1983nab Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2009, 08:04 PM

It sounds like the inlet needle in the carburetor is Letting too much fuel go though
    Try rebuilding the carb
    oilstain Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1983nab View Post
    it sounds like the inlet needle in the carburetor is Letting to much fuel go though
    try rebuilding the carb
    Done and done, that's what did it. Weird though, that the intake valve simply stays open (just a little) during the compression stroke.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs and stratton carb? [ 9 Answers ]

Got a murray push mower w/3.5 hp classic 9d902 2005 b2 00122851 b&s motor--primer bulb rotted away-installed new snap in bulb--opened up carb checked out for any gummy build up or bulb fragements -found none----primer won't squirt gas in carb unless you pour a little gas in carb--starts great then...

OIL change 11Hp Briggs and Stratton Engine [ 3 Answers ]

I have drained my oil and I don't know what type of oil I should fill it up with or how much it has no meter on it. Engine is 11h/ 3600 rpm Model:252707 Type 0620 01 Code 86080511 It says saej607 on cover is that it?

Briggs And Stratton 11hp won't start ride on mower [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Im rebuilding a COX ride on mower With a 11hp Briggs And Stratton Engine on it. The Engine will not start. This is what I've done: Clean the carby All is fine and is in good working order, Took the head off all valves and piston work and are not damaged, Has a great spark, Fuel line is...

Briggs and stratton carb problems [ 8 Answers ]

I have been having problems with my briggs and stratton 12.5hp motor! The carburator keeps getting too much gas into the float reservoir and gas comes out. I recently purchused a brand new carb and installed it but still seam to get too much gas to the carburator when I go to start it. Could it be...

View more questions Search