Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lanzelot Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2009, 09:57 AM
    Bathtub drain installation, plumers putty or silicone?
    Hi,

Using the names in reference to this picture:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attachm...bath-drain.jpg

This is my problem...

My brand new tub is leaking somewhere in between the Tub Basket and the Rubber Gasket.

I used Plumer's Putty in between the Tub Basket and the Tub.

As you may understand I have to rotate/screw the Tub Basket in order to attached it to the Tub Shoe but I feel that when I'm rotating the Tub Basket I'm damaging the waterproof seal between the Basket and the tub, and that is the reason of the leaking, but I do NOT know what I'm saying...

How should I install the basket, shoe, gasket, putty/silicone?

Thank you much... :o
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 14, 2009, 10:13 AM
    How should I install the basket, shoe, gasket, putty/silicone
    I assume by t"ub basket" you're referring to the tub shoe,(see image) and I'm going to farther assume that you placed the rubber gasket under the tub on top of the shoe and not under the lip of the drain where you placed the putty. If you spun the putty out of the lip of the drain then I would go with the silicon. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

lanzelot Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2009, 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    I assume by t"ub basket" you're referring to the tub shoe,(see image) and I'm going to farther assume that you placed the rubber gasket under the tub on top of the shoe and not under the lip of the drain where you placed the putty. If you spun the putty outta the lip of the drain then I would go with the silicon. good luck, Tom

What would be the advantages/disadvantages of using silicone instead of putty?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 14, 2009, 11:32 AM
    What would be the advantages/disadvantages of using silicone instead of putty?
    Although I've always used putty to seal a drain but because putty has more viscosity then silicon jel it's easier to "spin out" then silcon jel. I think silicon jel's more user friendly. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbers putty or silicone to seal bathtub drain [ 4 Answers ]

Is it disastrous to use plumbers putty instead of silicone to seal a bathtub drain which uses ABS pipes ? I've gotten conflicting advice with little explanation that sounds reasonable. Thanks for your replies on this and for all your help in the past

Bathtub installation [ 1 Answers ]

What do you do when the existing space for the tub is not square? I have 1.75 inches on one end and 1.25 inches on the front right corner. Is it best to fir out the walls to correct?

Basement bathtub installation [ 2 Answers ]

I have an existing toilet and sink in the basement and want to install a tub. The layout is left to right: tub, toilet, sink. The sink has a drain that goes to the main. It also vents to a pipe that vents the laundry area. That vent runs along the wall about 4 ' up and runs behind the...

Basement Bathtub Installation [ 9 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement, including a full bath that was roughed in by the builder, and I have a few questions about the bathtub install (a basic 30"x60" porcelain over steel tub). 1. When I attach the drain underneath it raises the tub up slightly. Do I need to shim the tub up, or is...

View more questions Search