Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 09:03 AM
    Plaque build up and generally bad teeth
    Well, if you don't look too closely my teeth look great but my front bottom teeth have a white hard layer around the bottom of them and my gums are lifting away and often bleed when I brush.
    Is there anything I can do at home to help fix this?
    I can't afford to see a dentist and the public health waiting list is 7 years.
    I'm sorry if this question sounds silly but I really know nothing about dentistry!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 14, 2009, 09:28 AM

Yes, plaque build up. It would have to scaled off so you can start flossing regularly to maintain. Sounds like your gums are in pretty bad shape. How long has it been since you have seen a dentist ?
    I noticed they are now selling scaling tools, but not a good idea to try and do it yourself as you would only make your gums worse and probably open your teeth up to decay.
    Tick
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 10:23 AM
    Thanks tick, I have seen the scaling products at the chemist but didn't want to try it without checking first...
    Umm haven't been to the dentist in about ooooooh 10 years (hides)
    I know, I know, I kept putting it off because I am petrified of dentists, my last check up was with the school dentist and she completely sliced my mouth open... all I remember is blood everywhere... not a good experience.

The rest of my teeth are fine it's just the front ones... any idea of the cost of getting them scaled at my gums fixed by a dentist?
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 10:47 AM

Hey Shaz,

If you really need the dental work done, a dentist may be willing to set up a payment plan because this is necessary if you plan to keep those teeth. You definitely don't need to put it off any longer because your gums are already inflamed. Bleeding is your sign that you need to see a professional. Also, there's a great chance that more of your teeth have build-up; you just may not be able to see it.

I wouldn't recommend trying to scale your own teeth either; that could go very wrong.

FYI- many dentists now offer procedures through sedation for those that are a bit squeamish at the thought of dental visits. This may be something worth looking into.
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 01:00 PM
    Thanks Nikosmom, I'll definitely look into sedation. I wanted to find a dentist that used "happy gas" but aparently not many do it any more.

I'll also look into payment plans, I didn't think anyone would do it so I've never asked If it sounds that serious to you guys then I'd better ask around, I always knew my mum pestered me to brush my teeth for a reason... now I'm paying for it!
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 01:15 PM

Yes once you can have the scaling done, be vigilant in your dental routine! Brush, floss daily, and use an antiseptic mouthwash like Listerine to kill germs. Also brush your tongue to remove germs and gums as well to increase blood flow.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 01:46 PM

nikosmom has hit it right on the head! Brushing and flossing will be much easier once you have had all the tarter (plaque that has hardened) off your teeth and out from under your gums.
    Try a dental school that teaches dental hygiene, you will probably be able to have your cleaning done at a more reasonable cost.

All the bacteria sitting under your gums is not a healthy situation to have. You put yourself at risk of stroke, heart attack, respiratory disease among other health risks. Don't put it off any longer if possible.
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 01:57 PM

Had to spread the rep Flossie - but great points mentioning the possible residual effects of not taking good care of your teeth. So many people don't realize this!
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 01:58 PM

Well, we can't remember everything! ;)
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Apr 14, 2009, 09:17 PM

All you need is a cleaning. What you have on your lower teeth is tartar, AKA calculus. They are very cheap at a dental, or hygienist school. When I was in dental school we charged like 28 bucks for one. Then just buy an "anti tartar" toothpaste and brush and floss, but for some people, it will always come back. No big deal. Sometimes when I do a quick checkup on someone I just flick it off with a scaler, takes 5 min, but its usually back in a few months.
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2009, 03:31 AM
    Thanks guys... I've been flossing and using a mouthwash since I noticed how bad it had gotten and it doesn't seem to have gotten any worse which is good.

I didn't realise there were that many bad health effects to having bad teeth, thank you for pointing it out!

How would I go about finding a dental school?

Again... sorry, I know nothing about this subject...
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 03:38 AM

Check your local universities... Ask friends... Somebody has to know where the local dentists and hygenists get their training.

Then just call up the school and ask about services to the public. The seniors need clinical hours before graduating so you'll get your service by someone knowledgeable, not a First Year student!
    Runner822 Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2009, 03:18 PM

Hi Shazamataz,

Did you find a dental school and see the dentist how did it go? I too have severe tartar on all my teeth. I went to the dentist yesterday for the first time in 15years and my teeth are a mess. Hopefully it goes better for you. My bet is it will I was having severe toothache's, bleeding gums etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Arterial Plaque [ 6 Answers ]

I am interested in learning natural proven remedies for reducing/eliminating arterial plaque. I am not in any danger as I had bypass surgery 18 months ago. While I am on statins and other meds(total cholesterol=149 Ldl=70) I am looking at options for maintanence.

Artery plaque removal [ 9 Answers ]

I was reading artery plaque could not be removed. They either bypass it Or stent it. By pushing it against the artery walls. They can slow the progression of the plaque, with medicines and Diet. But they cannot remove it. Angioplasty only pushes the plaque against the artery walls. And the...

What are DNC's generally used for? [ 3 Answers ]

I basically just want to know what DNC's are generally used for. Like are there other things that it can be used for other then miscarrgies? So if anyone can answer that for me that would be great!;)

Do you think people are generally honest? [ 4 Answers ]

I am wondering if people are generally honest when they are approached or confronted about issues. I find that people have a hard time giving feedback or when you ask questions in friendship they deny that they are just busy, etc. I feel it is the worst thing one can do to someone - to give false...

View more questions Search