Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saivstech Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

Apr 14, 2009, 03:44 AM
    1.5 Split A/C compressor shuts off and on, on its own
    Hello,

I 've been using Samsung (Model: AS18WADTL) 1.5 tonne split a/c (seperate indoor and outdoor unit) close to 2yrs. Recently I noticed that the A/C shuts/turns/cuts off the compressor on its own and turns on after every half hour of running without reaching the desired set temperature. Say like if I turn on the machine and default temp is 24 deg C, the temp shows 32deg C(room temp) when the machine is started and then the machine runs for about half hour or so until the room temp cools in about 30 minutes reaching 27-28deg C, and then suddenly the compressor shuts off and then the compressor starts on after 1/2 hr or so. I also noticed that before the compressor shuts off, it makes a sort of swooshing sound as if the fan is reaching higher speeds and then compressor shuts off. I stood & saw that before the compressor cut off, the entire outdoor unit jerked, growled & stopped, and the outdoor unit fan was not operating/rotating(or maybe by the time I reached the outdoor unit it stopped).

The fan is working in all conditions mentioned above, and the outdoor unit operation indicator light(green) is glowing normally on the indoor unit though the compressor is cut off. It normally glows irrespective of the compressor being on or off. Jfyi.

For example, if I set the temperature to say 22deg C after turning on the a/c unit, then the a/c doesn't reach the desired set temp but shuts off compressor midway for sometime as described above and then turns compressor on after 1/2hr or so. So I checked out if I've set the off-timer on, but its not on. I wonder what's causing this irregularity in the machine. Initially I doubted that the gas was empty, but when the machine is running, its not giving any such symptoms, I mean the room is getting cooled but not as desired. Like when the gas is empty does the machine cool the room?? Correct me if I'm wrong.

So what I did was clean the filters and dusted the indoor unit.
    Yet the problem persisted and I wanted to ask the esteemed members here as to what could be the ailing problem??

I did the above (cleaning), as I saw the technician perform the same stuff when the machine was under warranty( 1st year). Also it was mentioned in the manual, how to clean the airfilters. Though I didn't mess with the wiring or anything related to that. Fyi.

Apr 18, 2009, 05:36 AM
    Hello all,

Just a quick update on the issue. As I couldn't get any help from the forum, due to whatever constraints.

I called in the Samsung and logged the complaint. They came a day later than promised. But nevertheless I had no choice, other than complying with the service person.

I explained him the issue on hand and he opened up the outdoor unit and said that the exhaust was tripping and getting overheated. So what he did was he poured a lot of water (water washing) on the compressor as it was overheated and let it cool for sometime, he also water washed the condenser unit, before he changed the capacitor (thats what he told me the part is called). I asked him what was the problem, to that he replied the outdoor unit condenser needs to be cleaned every 6 months or so as the dust settles/gathers around and it causes the exhaust fan to trip due to congestion. I don't know if this was a genuine reason or not. So he replaced the capacitor and said it should work fine now. If anyone has any doubts or if it would be helpful for anybody in the forum then I can post the pics of the indoor and outdoor unit, alongwith what part he replaced. FYI.

So at the moment he is gone and I've been running the a/c for the past 1 hr or so without any previous complaint. So far so good. I'll keep the forum posted about the rest after running it for another 10-12 hrs.

I wanted to share the information with the forum, in case if ever anyone comes across such a situation then it would be useful for them or anybody. Also the moderators/experts can put in their suggestions or guidance.

Thanks.
    Sai

Apr 20, 2009, 04:09 AM
    Hi there,

Final update, the machine is running without any glitches or issues as reported in my query. Its running fine and is doing good. Just wanted to keep you all informed. Thanks once again.

Moderators/Experts, I think this query can be closed as answered or resolved.

Cheers,
    Sai

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Compressor shuts down too early [ 7 Answers ]

My compressor unit shuts down before the thermostat is satified. It does cool down the house but in stages not at one time. It runs fine but will not run more than about 10 min straight. Fred

New Compressor goes on, shuts off immediately [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Trane EX1000 unit, compressor burnt up a few days ago. It just suddenly stopped being cool here, we were right into a 30 day plus run of over 90 temps. Unit has been cleaned, tech relaced a thermal expansion valve and installed new compressor. Compressor now will come on and then...

Compressor motor shuts off. [ 1 Answers ]

The compressor motor stopped running,(I was told it was bad) so I replaced it. When I started the unit back up it ran for a few minutes, but when the compressor tried to kick in it shuts off. I tried it several times but whenever the compressor tries to kick in it keeps shutting off. They gave me a...

Split up? [ 10 Answers ]

My partner and I split up approx 2 months ago after being together for 5 years, we have a 14 month old little boy together. One of the main reasons we splilt up was because he went out on weekends quite abit when we were together and didn't come home till early hours of the next morning, I use to...

Split up [ 4 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I slit up two months ago. Now I do still love her and I do mean that its not a crush or anything like that . Basally I covered up the truth about who I was in the past and what I used to do for a living I wanted for her to take me for who I am today she said she needed time and...

View more questions Search