Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LDYnBLK Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2006, 06:36 PM
    How to shorten down rod on ceiling fan.
    Hello.

I want to install a new ceiling fan in my bedroom. The only fan that will work is the Hampton Bay Mix n Match (it's the fan w/o blades because I already have the blades to match the interior design of the room). Unfortunatey, it may drop too far from the ceiling for my preference so I was wondering if there's a way I can shorten the down rod w/o screwing up the fan's function.

Any suggestions or advice?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2006, 09:53 PM
    First of all, you can use any blades on any fan for which they are the correct size and the holes line up (or you drill new holes). Second of all, you would need to replace the rod with a shorter rod. Some fans are able to be mounted without the rod.

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/r...fan-blades.php

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...-fan-faq.php#7
    Accent Lighting Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2006, 09:46 AM
    Hampton Bay fans do not last very long. I have customers that come to my store daily that purchase fans in their first year after purchasing a Hampton Bay Fan. Hunter Fan, and many other Fan Companies have fans that come with a short 6 inch rod and you can either use the rod or not, thus making the fan a ceiling hugging fan. Also fans are made that are called ceiling huggers. Look for these. The most important factor for the good functioning of a fan is the blade pitch. Any white fan can be painted to any color if the fan has that much to play in the overall design of the room. This is done very frequently. Purchase the best motor and blade pitch, then customize the fan.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2006, 03:22 PM
    Hugger fans are less efficient than downrod type fans. Also a greater blade pitch doesn't necessarily mean better performance. Read

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/ceiling-fan-faq.php

For more information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling Fan Help! [ 5 Answers ]

I just purchased a new 44" ceiling fan to replace my old 20" broken one. I've taken the old one off the ceiling and there is a metal box w/ 2 "female" parts for screws. My instructions say to screw the 2-3" wood screws into the ceiling. I don't have any so what I did was took some good screws...

I need help with this ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved into a new house, and all the rooms have ceiling fans with light features on them... but the one in our masterbedroom, the people that lived here in the house before didn't put the light feature on it but I have its sitting here in the box and there's no instruction the people that...

Hanging ceiling fan from vaulted ceiling peak [ 2 Answers ]

Want to install Hampton Bay's Berlini model 729395 on a cathedral ceiling with a single ridge beam. Want to hang fan from the peak and there's not enough room for the canopy to cover the hanger bracket. Is there any extenders for this?

Shorten spray hose [ 2 Answers ]

My spray hose on my kitchen sink is too long and continuously catches on the pipes under the sink. I want to shorten this hose, but have no idea how. Any info is appreciated.

Old-style ceiling box and ceiling fan [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm trying to install a ceiling fan. The present ceiling box (if you can even call it a box) is an very old-style cylindrical black hunk of metal with four holes for the wires and a hole in the center through which there is a 3/8" threaded metal rod which supports the "box". Obviously this...

View more questions Search