Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    may4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2006, 06:25 PM
    "air time" and velocity of object thrown upwards
    A ball is thrown vertically upwards with an initial velocity of 27.0 m/s. Neglecting air resistance, how long is the ball in the air? What is the greatest height reached by the ball? And calculate the first time when the ball has half of its initial velocity.

Thank you!
    tej pratap sing Posts: 11, Reputation: -2

Jul 27, 2009, 09:49 AM
    v =u-gt wher as v= final vilocity= 0 (at top point ), u =initial vilocity =27.0m/s,

g= gravitational force =9.8m/s
    time in air is
    t=2(u/g)

v2=u2-gt

at half of vilocity that is v=u/2=27/2
    v =u-gt
    solve this eqution get your answer
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2009, 11:59 AM

The formula is

The initial velocity being 27m/s, the final velocity will be -27m/s when the ball comes down at the same height as it has been thrown. The acceleration is negative since it is in the opposite direction to your initial velocity. So, set u to 27, a to -9.81 and v to -27. Solve for t to get the time the ball was in the air. (ans: 5.5 s)

Use to find the max height.

The initial velocity is 27 m/s, the final velocity is 0 m/s (since it is at the maximum height), and the acceleration is -9.81 m/s^2 (since it is again in the opposite direction to your initial velocity). Solve for s, the displacement. (ans: 37.2m)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

A - "Good Time" impossible to find :( [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can download (or if anyone has uploaded) "Good Time" by the UK nu-metal band, A... it was used in the Nokia 3300 adverts back in 2003. It's so hard to find because "A" isn't a specific enough name for a band, so I can't find this particular...

"Cause time will pass me by" Ideas ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... I need some help to finding the song title and also the singer.. by the way I only know a couple of the words from that song, the words are: "Cause time will pass me by may be i'll never learn to smiles but i know i'll make it trough will you wait for me in heaven" Thanks,

View more questions Search