Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    missee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 06:40 PM
    Paying state tax in 2 states, resident of only one.very confused
    Hi,

Need help... We (myself and kids) live in GA, but my husband just started a new job in VA. He does not have a permanent address there, just living in a room for rent until our house sells. Until the point where we're all in VA, does my husband have to have GA and VA taxes taken out of his paycheck? If we get credit from one state back again (not sure how that works), do we have to wait until we file next year to see that refund?

Also, he was given a small sign-on bonus. They sent his check out while he was still filling out paperwork, such as his W-4. So, in this bonus check, they have him listed as single with no allowances. How will this affect our taxes later, since obviously this information was incorrect?

Thank you.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2009, 11:57 PM

Income earned while in VA must be reported to VA.
    If you are present in a state, then any income earned during this period, must be reported to the state.

To the state you live in, you must report your worldwide income for the year or for the residency period. If you paid taxes to another state, then you will claim credit for those taxes.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paying state taxes for a Michigan Resident with income from Maryland Rental. [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Michigan and own a house in Maryland that I rent to other people. Do I pay taxes on this income to Maryland or Michigan or both?

Confused about joint state filings with spouse in different states [ 1 Answers ]

I have a follow-up question: My husband lives and works in PA, so his state income is apportioned entirely to PA. I live in NJ, and work in Pa. My income is apportioned entirely to NJ, with no income to PA (at least none was apportioned to PA. We want to file joint state returns to be consistent...

Any advantage to paying non-resident NY state tax? [ 4 Answers ]

I live in NYC with my mom and just recently secured a job in NYC. I have the option in using my dad's NJ address on my employment records. Is there a huge advantage and savings in doing this, understanding that I will have to pay both NJ state resident income tax and also NY state nonresident...

S corporation paying state taxes in two states [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My partner and I have an S corporation set up in Illinois. He is permanently moving to Iowa. We work as independent contractors on various projects--his mainly in Iowa. As an S corporation, we are employees of the corporation and pay ourselves wages every month. How do we handle paying the...

Nj resident paying NY State tax [ 1 Answers ]

I am a NJ resident who works in NY City. I received a payout from my mother's 401k after she passed away. I list that on my federal income when filling out my NY State Tax return. When Ny State calcluates my taxes they are taxing me on more income than I made from my job in NYC, it seems that...

View more questions Search