Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chameleon24 Posts: 70, Reputation: 7

Apr 13, 2009, 06:10 PM
    British Isles trip (Cost?)
    Right now I'm trying to plan a trip over to Europe. I've never been out of the US before. I'm a 22 year old student and I want to take this trip after I finish school. I won't be done until Oct 2010 so I have a lot of time to plan. Right now I'm working on the basics.
    My plan right now is to go to England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. I'm thinking it's going to be a 2 month trip. I was wondering how much a trip like this would cost?

I know I won't be able to save up tons of money. I'd like to go the cheap route and mostly stay in hostels... maybe hotels or b&bs a couple nights. I'd like to be somewhat comfortable... so I'm looking at cheap-moderate cost maybe. Of course I'm going to do more research but I wondered if anybody would know an average cost to give me an idea to start with? I'd like to know if this is realistic at all lol.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 2, 2009, 05:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chameleon24 View Post
    Right now I'm trying to plan a trip over to Europe. I've never been out of the US before. I'm a 22 year old student and I want to take this trip after I finish school. I won't be done until Oct 2010 so I have a lot of time to plan. Right now I'm working on the basics.
    My plan right now is to go to England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. I'm thinking it's going to be a 2 month trip. I was wondering how much a trip like this would cost?

I know I won't be able to save up tons of money. I'd like to go the cheap route and mostly stay in hostels...maybe hotels or b&bs a couple nights. I'd like to be somewhat comfortable....so I'm looking at cheap-moderate cost maybe. Of course I'm going to do more research but I wondered if anybody would know an average cost to give me an idea to start out with? I'd like to know if this is realistic at all lol.

You have so many options... just a few examples: you can get inexpensive airfare as a student... just purchase your ticket before you finish school. There are a number of sites for student discounts... you can find airfare at close to a third of the regular price sometimes. STA travel is one such site. For transportation while there, a Britrail pass might be something to look into. You have to buy it in the US before you go and there are a number of different travel schemes you can choose from. It can be pricey but it almost always will be cheaper than buying individual tickets, plus you don't have the hassle of ticket lines... you just find the train and time you want and get onboard. It makes it so much easier to just hop on a train from one place to another. If you are going to be in London for a fair amount of time, an Oyster card can save you some money for the underground... but London is also a great walking city too. You will also want to check out a Youth Travel Card for discounts to different sites and tourist attractions around the UK... since you would be under 26 when you go, you would qualify. If you were still a student you would get an international student ID card but the youth card will serve the same purpose.

Accommodation wise... youth hostels can run you anywhere from about $10 a night on up (having a membership will get you a discount)... some are quite unique, Carbisdale Castle for example... some are sort of rough, but there are a number of guides you can use to check them out. B & Bs are really a nice way to go... sort of a cross between home and a hotel. Breakfasts are often full breakfasts... usually more than you can eat in some places! Or something simple like pastries, juice, and fruit. They have a wide range of prices depending on the location... outside of larger cities figure about $25 a night and up. In places like London, cheaper hotels can start around $60 a night. Hopefully the exchange rate will stay favorable for the direction you would be going... it's great for Americans traveling to the UK right now.

There are numerous guide books you can purchase or check out from the library... one good example are Rick Steve's guidebooks... he also has great info specific to the UK on his website. Since you have plenty of time... check out a number of books from different travel writers and see what you are interested in... historical buildings and sites, countryside, castles, large cities, out of the way places, museums, etc..

Two months is a great amount of time to be able to explore all around and not feel like you are rushing from place to place. Do allow yourself some down time from siteseeing however... you can always go back... :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

British movie, Scottish soldier in British Army hoapital [ 1 Answers ]

Several years ago, perhaps 45 or 50, there was a movie about a Scot in a British Army hospital. He was disliked, but in some manner touched everyone. He died and soldiers who disliked him were sad. I barely remember any more. It seems the Scot soldier was played by an up and coming british actor.

Why are cost per output and cost per outcome valuable to a human services agency [ 2 Answers ]

Why are cost per output and cost per outcome valuable to a human services agency

Cost of end. Inv. And cost of goods sold under average cost [ 1 Answers ]

It's me again! I have another question to the same problem. In case someone else responds, I'll post the problem again. June 1 inv20051000 June 12 purch.30061800 June 23 purch. 50073500 June 30 inv. I need to compute the cost of the ending inventory and the cost of goods sold using the...

View more questions Search