Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donandtrish Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 05:34 PM
    Gurgling floor drain when sump runs
    Hi,I have a basement floor drain that recently started gurgling when the sump runs. It usually gurgles a few seconds after the sump kicks on and then again a few seconds after the sump shuts off. I can also hear gurgling at the pump itself. Any ideas,

The vent stack is clear. I snakes between the gurgling drain and the sump. I snaked outside the house as far as I could go, 25 feet or so. I've done everything I can think of before calling a plumber. So far all my sinks and toilets drain in a normal fashion.

I am thinking blockage someplace closer to the city sewer if not the city hook up. What do you think
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 13, 2009, 06:04 PM

What sump pump is tha, one that handles the foundation water or one that pumps to the city sewer, they usually aren't the same systems.

Apr 14, 2009, 09:37 AM

It is a torpedo pump that handles foundation water, however it drains to the city sewer. It was allowed when this home was built. Thank You
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 14, 2009, 09:57 AM
    Hi,I have a basement floor drain that recently started gurgling when the sump runs.
    This tells me that the discharge from the sump pump's venting through the floor drain trap instead of venting through the main and stack vent. It almost sounds like the sump's tied to the floor drain line upstream from the main. That would cause the FD trap to gurgle. Could that be the case here? Back to you, Tom

Apr 14, 2009, 02:47 PM

The sump is vented through the main vent to the roof. This is the same vent stack as the bathroom above. The gurgeling just started. I have checked all clean outs, all vents, snaked the floor drain, showers, etc. No dice. I am thinking there is blockage outside the house. I did snake outside the house but could only go 25 feet. I think I need a power unit that can get to the road.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 14, 2009, 02:49 PM

Most main drain problems are right there in the last foot by the road. That's where the city riser connects to your line, mine is 211', ask me how I know the exact distance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need ideas for converting floor drain into sump [ 3 Answers ]

Well my grand idea from this thread didn't pan out https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbing/how-tie-into-vertical-sewer-pipe-new-drain-272705.html- the area where I can access the vertical sewer pipe is already joined and T's and cleanout'ed and I cannot T into it again at an elevation that works. ...

Tying a basement floor drain into sump basin [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning to install a floor drain in my basement which will discharge into my sump basin. Unfortunately, water on the floor will not flow into my sump since the lip of the liner is actually sitting on top of the slab, surpassing it by about a 1/4 inch. It was installed to collect water from...

Water Gurgling Sound when AIr Conditioner Runs [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 2-year old heat pump and just today we notice the sound of gurgling water in our basement shower drain when the air conditioner runs. The sound is NOT heard in any of the other drains in the house. What could be causing this sound?

Kitchen sink drain gurgles when basement sump pump runs [ 0 Answers ]

When the basement sump pump runs the drains in my kitchen gurgle loudly. The sump pump well is in the basement and is the discharge for the CWM. The pump also discharges water. The discharge pipe connects to the main sewer line to the septic tank. The kitchen is on the first floor one room away...

Floor Drain Backing Up - Toilet Gurgling *bloob* *bloob* noise [ 3 Answers ]

First, basic information on the home: House built in 1956, interior completely redone (looks brand new) - plumbing, not too sure Single-Story House on Slab Foundation 1320 sq.ft 1 Bath Well Septic (Checked and Pumped - Oct. 2007) Located in Michigan - Metro Detroit

View more questions Search