Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thepapawes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 04:46 PM
    Cashing in 401K
    Would like to cash in my wife's 401k (she is 59) to pay off our mortgage. Do we still have to pay the 10% early withdrawl fee?
    Gigi42 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 04:51 PM
    401k Withdrawal Options

You can rollover an IRA from one account to another at any time, but if you are a victim of a corporate layoff, or considering changing jobs or about to retire and you are thinking of rolling over or contemplating withdrawal of funds from your 401k plan, then you have several options depending on your age, provided you are no longer working for the employer providing the 401k plan.

Your 401k withdrawal options are as follows if you are over the age of 59 ½ but under 70 ½:

-Take a lump sum distribution, in which case your 401k plan provider will write you a check for the value of your account less a 20% withholding tax mandated by the IRS. The 20% tax that is withheld will be counted against your income tax payable or will be counted towards any refund due for the tax year when you file your tax return.

-You can do nothing and leave it with your previous employer as long as the amount is greater than $5,000. Amounts less than $5,000 will usually be distributed to you regardless of you age. (check with your plan sponsor)

-Do 401k rollover into an IRA or a solo 401k (if you are planning to open your own one person business).

Your 401k withdrawal options are as follows if you are under 59 ½

-Take a lump sum distribution, in which case your 401k plan provider will write you a check for the value of your account less a 20% withholding tax mandated by the IRS, and a 10% withdrawal penalty. The 20% tax that is withheld, but NOT the 10% penalty, will be counted against your income tax payable or will be counted towards any refund due for the tax year when you file your tax return. Some 401k penalty free withdrawal exceptions are here.

-You can do nothing and leave it with your previous employer as long as the amount is greater than $5,000. Amounts less than $5,000 will usually be distributed to you, less a 20% withholding tax, regardless of you age. (Check with your plan sponsor)

-Do 401k rollover into an IRA or a solo 401k (if you are planning to open your own one person business)

I got this information on goggle.com by typing 401K withdrawal rules

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cashing in 401k [ 1 Answers ]

Under the current economic climate, and huge losses in my 401, I am looking for other avenues to keep from losing more money. I owe 50k on my house. I am looking forward to retireing once the house is paid off, which would be 4 yrs. Under my current plan. But, am wondering about pulling 401k money...

Cashing out my 401k [ 3 Answers ]

Last year I left my job with $17k in my 401k. I want to re-fi my house which will save me over $11k over the life of the loan, pay off some credit cards and have hard cash on hand. I know I will take a hit on the penalties, taxes and maybe capital gains taxes however, with a newly elected...

Cashing out a 401K [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I wanted to know the specific process on how to cash out my 401K from my old place of employement. I haven't worked there for 10 years. Who do I need to talk to? What forms do I need to fill out? I just need to know the right steps. I realize I will endure penalties, but it doesn't...

Cashing out a 401K [ 3 Answers ]

Help! I am a 38 year old married mother of three who lives in virginia-this info is purely for information purposes. I am leaving my job and need to figure out what to do with my small 401K. I have a loan that was taken out for part of a deposit on our house. My situation is this: I...

View more questions Search