Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oksanawalton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 03:48 PM
    Selling real estate aborad - taxation in US
    I am a dual citizen - US and Russia, my permanent residency is in US and I pay US taxes. However, I have a flat in Russia which I am considering to sell. I am aware of Russian tax law, but not sure how profits from this transaction would be processed in US. Do I pay any taxes in the US (I owned this property for over 20 years)?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2009, 12:48 AM

On your return, you must report your world wide income. You will report property sale on schedule D (Form 1040). If you paid taxes in the foreign country, you will claim credit for taxes paid in the foreign country by filing Form 1116
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling real estate abroad and money coming to the you.S. - what are the taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello - I have an apartment in moscow, russia, which I co-own with my mother. I am u.s. citizen and my mother is u.s. resident alien and we are russian citizens too. In case of sale of the apartment, provided all taxes/dues are paid to russian government what are applicable taxes in the u.s....

Real Estate Agents Selling Mortages [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any companies out there that train and pay real estate agents to sell and process mortages?

Sending money aborad [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I am not a US citizen, but I am considered resident alien for tax purposes in US and have been filing 1040EZ for the last few years. I am on H-1B visa in US. My question is: If I send money to my family abroad, is the money sent considered as gift? Specifically, can I claim this money as gift...

Problems with Executor of Estate not signing sales contract for real estate [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and I are the beneficiaries of our mothers will. She died when I was 17 and left my sister and I half of her estate, and named her doctor as the executor. I am now 22 and my sister is 20 (21 next month). We all agreed (verbally) to sell the family house to our father for $125k. He...

Executor selling real estate. [ 2 Answers ]

I am the executor for my mothers estate. The estate is very small and the will was filed as a small estate. The property is located in Illinois. My question is this: The property is a very small house in a neighborhood that has changed to more of a commercial area. It is not a desirable place to...

View more questions Search