Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlgarno Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 08:50 AM
    I want to walk away from my mortgage.
    I want to walk away from my mortgage payment. I owe 200K on the house in Florida and it will not sell for 150K. The house is empty and I live in a fully paid house in Thailand. I don't want the $1,600 monthly payments and I don't need credit. It may be worth 200K in 5 years but I will be dead. Please advise.
    CallMeBel Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Apr 13, 2009, 08:55 AM

Consider contacting your mortgage company first of all. They may approve something like a short sale if you haven't been able to sell the home.

Can you afford the home? If so, I think its an irresponsible decision to just 'walk away' and let it go into foreclosure, but I guess that is just my opinion.
    jabezz77 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2009, 01:53 PM
    Are you willing to assume the mortgage It will clear you to walk away if so let me know. I will need the specs on the property. This might be a great opportunity for you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 19, 2009, 01:55 PM

The lender may not just let you walk away. They can foreclose, sell the house at auction then go after you for the shortfall.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2009, 02:40 PM

There are options of short sales, renting it out till the value goes up.
    barbazhp Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Apr 21, 2009, 08:58 AM
    You may have tax liabilities if you did not own the home as a primary residence, also if it was a primary residence and you refinanced for cash out. Many tax people are not aware that Pres. Bush eliminated 1099 debt for losses in foreclosure, short sales etc...

If you do not need credit and will not for many years then sign a deed in lu and hand the home back. It costs the bank less. A short sale from out of the country will be difficult if you can not fax or scan and email back documents and financial info.

Credit for a short sale shows paid as agreed and remains for 3-4 years.
    Foreclosures and deed in lu stay on your credit 10 years.

If you short sell call a good Realtor they will handle it for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mortgage broker vs. Mortgage Lender [ 3 Answers ]

What are the pro's and con's of using either a mortgage broker or going directly to the mortgage lender?

When should I walk away from my upside down mortgage? [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a townhouse in 2001 for $115,000. Later in that same year, I lost my job due to a merger. I refinanced in 2004 and the mortgage was then taken over by Homecomings Financial and now I have one of those sub-prime loans you hear about these days. At one point the lender began foreclosure...

Mortgage payment.Mortgage told me one thing amount and then it was another. [ 1 Answers ]

Okay. I had a mortgage loan modification. Had an agreement with my loan company to make a paymnet of about five thousand dollars.Then I received a letter that instead of the five thousand that covered the months of October and November it was two thousand dollars and one of about two hundred and...

36 hours before I close mortgage company refuses to give mortgage? [ 5 Answers ]

I secured a deal for a home with the owner and got a signed contract a month ago. For sale by owner deal. Secured financing at 95%, with 5 % down. Did financing through a broker, and got a locked in deal with countrywide over 3 weeks ago. All is well, appraised for 100K over what I have...

How do you walk away? [ 6 Answers ]

Im still having trouble letting go of my 3 year relationship with my ex girlfriend. Its been almost 3 months maybe 4 and I still can't walk away without wanting to try to make it work with her and when it comes to trying not to be her friend I can't do that either I go a day maybe a week at best...

View more questions Search