Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zbitner Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 08:45 AM
    Marketing or Patenting Widget
    Hello, I have an idea and prototype that I think could be very useful and profitable and I can't find it anywhere in the current market place. I am pretty skeptical of the patentability of the product. I find that it already exists but has never been used for this type of application. How do I protect my idea and ability to sell if it is unpatentable yet has never been used on or for this purpose.

Sorry to be vague about the nature of the product, but I hope you understand. What are the steps to get something like this off the ground? I suppose there are a few questions here. The goal would be to sell the rights to another company to sell, not start my own widget company.

Where do I start the patent process?

What is the strategy if it is unpatentable? Is it just clever positioning and marketing?

Is this the right section to ask this question?
    LucyBennett Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2009, 12:45 PM
    You can search the U.S. Patent archives:

PatFT » Page 1 of 1

If you want to talk to someone about your idea, but are afraid they might steal it, you could ask them to sign a nondisclosure agreement. Here's a Nolo article on nondisclosures:

Nondisclosure Agreements

If you do still think it is patentable and you still have questions, you should probably talk to an attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Walt disney widget [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I would like to know if someone knows how to find people who collect very rare walt disney toys.I have a widget puppet from the 1940's it was a story by ronald dahl a nine seris comic strip and one book was written and then the movie was never made.This is only the second piece of merchandise...

Marketing [ 1 Answers ]

What are the 4 p's of marketing?

View more questions Search