Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    golobos2007 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 02:45 AM
    accounting-drop or retain
    the management of scholer corporation is considering dropping product MC. Data from the company's accounting system appear below:

sales... 550,000
    variable expenses... 242,000
    fixed manufacturing expenses... 215,000
    fixed selling and administrative expenses.. 132,000

all fixed expanses of the company are fully allocated to products in the company's accounting system. Further investigation has revealed that 137,000 of the fixed manufacturing expenses and 79,000 of the fixed selling and admin. Expenses are avoidable if product mc is discontinued.

a. what is the net operating income earned by product MC according to the company's accounting system? Prepare a comtribution margin income statement to support your answer.

b. what would be the effect on the company's overall net operating income of dropping product MC? Should the product be dropped? Show work to prove why or why not.

I have no idea how to do this can anyone take me step by step on what to calculate and what to do?

thanks!!
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2009, 08:44 PM

Well, first a "contribution margin income statement" (known by other names to me) is just:

Sales
    - Variable
    =Contribution Margin
    - Fixed Costs
    =Operating Income

The above is something you absolutely must know in order to do cost-volume-profit stuff.

There are different ways you can go about figuring out what happens if they drop mc. Your text/class may have a specific way it wants this done.

One way is make another column that includes the same information as what I listed above. Only this time only include the items that would remain if mc was dropped. This is the fastest way to your answer. This is actually differential analysis and you're looking at what's the difference if I do this versus doing this.

Think through each line, from top to bottom, i.e. starting with sales. What would sales be if mc were dropped? What would variable cost be? Etc. Take special note of the comments about what happens to the fixed costs... what would be dropped and what would remain?

Then just re-work the math of what's above and see where it ends up in the end.

try it and see what you come up with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I cash a partial refund of my security deposit and retain my rights to sue for th [ 1 Answers ]

Can I cash a partial refund of my security deposit and retain my rights to sue for the balance? The memo section of the check simply says "Security Deposit Refund". She kept $2,800 of my $7,600 Security Deposit. The landlord's husband passed away suddenly soon after we first looked at the house....

Can the liver retain drugs beyond 3 years? [ 1 Answers ]

I believe in January 2003, my wife was giving me ketoconazole when I would go to play pinochle with my friends of which I would drink. Is it possible that some of that drug could still be found in my liver. Could a biopsy show evidence if there was? I did report her and her and her mother...

Transfer of Deed but retain the Mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

A friend ask me to purchase a house for him in my name(because of my credit history). He promises to pay the mortgage and other costs. If I transfer the deed to him but keep the mortgage in my name, what are my rights concerning the property. In case he does not pay the mortgage. (I know that my...

View more questions Search